Announcing a CC-licensed book on Vim 7

  • Swaroop C H
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 25, 2008
      Hello all,

      I'm happy to announce the first public release of my Creative-Commons
      licensed book on the Vim 7 editor.

      The book is called "A Byte of Vim" and is available at
      http://www.swaroopch.com/notes/Vim

      From the website, you can download the book, and freely share it and
      make changes (it is under a Creative Commons license) and even
      directly fix any mistakes as well (it's a wiki).

      More details are at http://www.swaroopch.com/blog/a-free-book-on-vim/

      I hope this benefits fellow Vimmers, both beginners and intermediate
      users, and I also look forward to constructive suggestions and
      comments from the community.

      Regards,
      Swaroop

    • Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 25, 2008
        Saluton Swaroop :)

        On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 22:41:01 +0530, Swaroop C H dixit:
        > I'm happy to announce the first public release of my Creative-Commons
        > licensed book on the Vim 7 editor.
        >
        > The book is called "A Byte of Vim" and is available at
        > http://www.swaroopch.com/notes/Vim

        Thanks for the book and thanks for making it free. Sharing knowledge is
        how knowledge can really advance.

        We are waiting for 13 Feb 2009 23:31:30 +0000 ...

      • Sergio Acosta
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 25, 2008
          >> I'm happy to announce the first public release of my Creative-Commons
          >> licensed book on the Vim 7 editor.
          >>
          >> The book is called "A Byte of Vim" and is available at
          >> http://www.swaroopch.com/notes/Vim

          Thanks for your hard work and for sharing!

          I'm sure that as a newbee I will learn some new tricks and will try to
          spread the news among my buddies.

        • François Beaubert
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 25, 2008
            2008/11/25 Sergio Acosta <sergio.acosta@...>:

            >>> I'm happy to announce the first public release of my Creative-Commons
            >>> licensed book on the Vim 7 editor.
            >>>
            >>> The book is called "A Byte of Vim" and is available at
            >>> http://www.swaroopch.com/notes/Vim

            Man you book looks excellent and very pleasant to read.
            Your own blog is pretty cool also what kind of theme/skin do you use
            for mediawiki ... this one is a killer
            I'm dreaming to have a wiki like yours for my students

            Thank you very much for all you hard work !
            Cheers

            François

          • Joseph Sullivan
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 25, 2008
              On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 10:41:01PM +0530, Swaroop C H wrote:

              > Hello all,
              >
              > I'm happy to announce the first public release of my Creative-Commons
              > licensed book on the Vim 7 editor.

              Awesome! Thank you for all of your hard work. It is especially nice
              that the beginning starts the reader off gradually. After using vim for
              a couple of years I've forgotten how weird it seems at first, so I
              probably wouldn't explain it that good to someone. I will be sure to
              share your book to spread the vim propaganda. ;-)

            • Ivan lopes
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 25, 2008
                Thank you very much for all you hard work !

              • Maxim Kim
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 25, 2008
                  On 25 нояб, 20:11, "Swaroop C H" <swar...@...> wrote:
                  > The book is called "A Byte of Vim" and is available athttp://www.swaroopch.com/notes/Vim

                  Thanks for the wonderful book!

                  Take a look at http://www.swaroopch.com/notes/Vim_en:Typing_Skills
                  The sign at the bottom of the cheatsheet picture _possibly_ is not
                  correct -- "vi/vim cheat sheet by viewmu.com".
                  Shouldn't "viewmu.com" be "viemu.com" as written on cheetsheet
                  itself?

                • Eduard
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 26, 2008
                    On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 10:41:01PM +0530, Swaroop C H wrote:

                    > I'm happy to announce the first public release of my Creative-Commons
                    > licensed book on the Vim 7 editor.
                    >
                    > The book is called "A Byte of Vim" and is available at
                    > http://www.swaroopch.com/notes/Vim

                    Thank you Swaroop! I've begun reading it and must say it's very well
                    written. And I have no doubts this great community of us vim users here
                    will improve it through fixes, additions or small corrections --the wiki
                    format is a great idea.

                    --
                    Eduard Fabra.

                  • yosi izaq
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 26, 2008
                      On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 10:45 AM, Eduard <edfabra@...> wrote:

                      On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 10:41:01PM +0530, Swaroop C H wrote:

                      > I'm happy to announce the first public release of my Creative-Commons
                      > licensed book on the Vim 7 editor.
                      >
                      > The book is called "A Byte of Vim" and is available at
                      > http://www.swaroopch.com/notes/Vim

                      The book is very good and fun to read too. Thank you for sharing it.

                      Yosi.

                    • iamjay
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 27, 2008
                        Well done!!!
                        I've been only using vim for like 2/3 weeks now, and thus I can say that
                        it's just perfect for beginners like me!!!

                        Best regards,
                        jay
                        On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 10:00:46PM -0200, Ivan lopes wrote:
                        > Thank you very much for all you hard work ! [1][IMG] [2][IMG] [3][IMG]
                        >

                        > References
                        >
                        > Visible links

                      • John Beckett
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 1, 2008
                          Swaroop C H wrote:
                          > I'm happy to announce the first public release of my
                          > Creative-Commons licensed book on the Vim 7 editor.
                          >
                          > The book is called "A Byte of Vim" and is available at
                          > http://www.swaroopch.com/notes/Vim

                          Thanks. I have put this info in the December "Did you know" on the wiki main page,
                          and have noted the book on the "Vim documentation" page (see link at top-right of
                          main page):

                          http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

                          John