Problem when using vim sytax to edit a very large file, please help.

  • Jerrygreat
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 2, 2008
      Hello, Buddies,
      I must use Unix vim editor to edit a very large xxx.sql file. I have the
      following urgent sytax question, I wonder if any friend can help me a
      liittle....
      (I just bought a vim book, however, I am still not good enough.. )

      1. I have a lot of lines with break like below:
      ALTER TABLE "HCDCNV"."SUBLEDGER_ENTRY" ENABLE CONSTRAINT
      "SUBLEDGER_ENRTY_FK5" ;
      (how can I change it to )
      ALTER TABLE "HCDCNV"."SUBLEDGER_ENTRY" ENABLE CONSTRAINT
      "SUBLEDGER_ENRTY_FK5" ; ---no break for each line in the whole file.
      (and a liitle more...
      if I can merge all the lines into one line before ';' in whole file? How?

      2.I just want to extrat those 'ALTER TABLE ...ENABLE CONSTRAINT..' clause
      (like below as example)in the whole xxx.sql file, and save it to new file
      called '1.sql'

      ALTER TABLE "HCDCNV"."SUBLEDGER_ENTRY" ENABLE CONSTRAINT
      "SUBLEDGER_ENRTY_FK5" ;
      ALTER TABLE "PCDCNV"."VALIDASSOCIATION" ENABLE CONSTRAINT
      "FK_VALIDASSOCIATION_01";
      ALTER TABLE "PCDCNV"."VALIDASSOCIATION" ENABLE CONSTRAINT
      "FK_VALIDASSOCIATION_02";

      3. in the whole file, there are some 'CREATE TABLE....' clause, like below

      CREATE TABLE "HCDCNV"."ADDR_AGREEMENT" ("AGREEMENT_ID" NUMBER,
      "AGREEMENT_CODE" VARCHAR2(64) NOT NULL ENABLE, "AGREEMENT_EFF" DATE
      NOT NULL ENABLE, "CRTN_DT_TMSTMP" DATE NOT NULL ENABLE, "IS_VALID"
      VARCHAR2(1) NOT NULL ENABLE, "CRTN_LGN_ID" VARCHAR2(20) NOT NULL
      ENABLE, "MDFD_DT_TMSTMP" DATE NOT NULL ENABLE, "MDFD_LGN_ID"
      VARCHAR2(20) NOT NULL ENABLE) PCTFREE 10 PCTUSED 80 INITRANS 1
      MAXTRANS 255 STORAGE(INITIAL 1048576 FREELISTS 1 FREELIST GROUPS 1)
      TABLESPACE "CONVTABLES" LOGGING NOCOMPRESS ;

      so how can I extract only those 'CREATE TABLE....' clause till ';' from this
      file and save it to a new file, say '2.sql'

      4.

      ALTER TABLE "PCDCNV"."VALIDASSOCIATION" ADD CONSTRAINT
      "FK_VALIDASSOCIATION_03" FOREIGN KEY ("OBJECTTYPEUID") REFERENCES
      "OBJECTTYPE" ("OBJECTTYPEUID") ENABLE NOVALIDATE
      ;

      How can I extract only those 'ALTER TABLE ....ADD CONSTRAINT' till ';'clause
      from this file and save it as new file '3.sql';

      If any friend can give me an answer, it can give me a lot help to resolve
      urgent need, while I still keep learning it.

      Thanks a lot in advance..

      Jerry

      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 2, 2008
        On 02/11/08 20:45, Jerrygreat wrote:

        > Hello, Buddies,
        > I must use Unix vim editor to edit a very large xxx.sql file. I have the
        > following urgent sytax question, I wonder if any friend can help me a
        > liittle....

        How large is large? On 32-bit machines, the biggest file Vim can edit is
        two gigabytes. On a 64-bit machine, and considering the size of
        present-day hard disks, a 64-bit version of Vim can edit any file you
        can store.

        > (I just bought a vim book, however, I am still not good enough.. )
        >
        > 1. I have a lot of lines with break like below:
        > ALTER TABLE "HCDCNV"."SUBLEDGER_ENTRY" ENABLE CONSTRAINT
        > "SUBLEDGER_ENRTY_FK5" ;
        > (how can I change it to )
        > ALTER TABLE "HCDCNV"."SUBLEDGER_ENTRY" ENABLE CONSTRAINT
        > "SUBLEDGER_ENRTY_FK5" ; ---no break for each line in the whole file.
        > (and a liitle more...
        > if I can merge all the lines into one line before ';' in whole file? How?

        Joining the whole file into one line, then adding a line break after
        every semicolon, would be practical for a small file but not for a "very
        large" one, so something else must be found. Let's see:

        1. Make sure every semicolon is followed by a linebreak with no
        intervening space:

        :%s/;/;\r/g

        2. Remove any linebreak not preceded by a semicolon, and replace it by a
        space (to avoid running two words into one):

        :%s/\%(^\|[^;]\)\zs\n/ /

        Note: The fact that the linebreak is represented as \n in the search
        pattern and by \r in the replace-by string is not a mistake.

        > 2.I just want to extrat those 'ALTER TABLE ...ENABLE CONSTRAINT..' clause
        > (like below as example)in the whole xxx.sql file, and save it to new file
        > called '1.sql'
        >
        > ALTER TABLE "HCDCNV"."SUBLEDGER_ENTRY" ENABLE CONSTRAINT
        > "SUBLEDGER_ENRTY_FK5" ;
        > ALTER TABLE "PCDCNV"."VALIDASSOCIATION" ENABLE CONSTRAINT
        > "FK_VALIDASSOCIATION_01";
        > ALTER TABLE "PCDCNV"."VALIDASSOCIATION" ENABLE CONSTRAINT
        > "FK_VALIDASSOCIATION_02";

        The following assumes that the preceding joining of lines has been done

        :let save_more = &more
        :set nomore
        :redir > 1.sql
        :%g/^ALTER TABLE\>.*\<ENABLE CONSTRAINT\>/p
        :redir END
        :let &more = save_more

        see
        :help let-option
        :help expr-option
        :help 'more'
        :help :redir
        :help :g
        :help :s
        :help pattern.txt

        > 3. in the whole file, there are some 'CREATE TABLE....' clause, like below
        >
        > CREATE TABLE "HCDCNV"."ADDR_AGREEMENT" ("AGREEMENT_ID" NUMBER,
        > "AGREEMENT_CODE" VARCHAR2(64) NOT NULL ENABLE, "AGREEMENT_EFF" DATE
        > NOT NULL ENABLE, "CRTN_DT_TMSTMP" DATE NOT NULL ENABLE, "IS_VALID"
        > VARCHAR2(1) NOT NULL ENABLE, "CRTN_LGN_ID" VARCHAR2(20) NOT NULL
        > ENABLE, "MDFD_DT_TMSTMP" DATE NOT NULL ENABLE, "MDFD_LGN_ID"
        > VARCHAR2(20) NOT NULL ENABLE) PCTFREE 10 PCTUSED 80 INITRANS 1
        > MAXTRANS 255 STORAGE(INITIAL 1048576 FREELISTS 1 FREELIST GROUPS 1)
        > TABLESPACE "CONVTABLES" LOGGING NOCOMPRESS ;
        >
        > so how can I extract only those 'CREATE TABLE....' clause till ';' from this
        > file and save it to a new file, say '2.sql'

        also assuming lines have been joined except at semicolons:

        :let save_more = &more
        :set nomore
        :redir > 2.sql
        :%g/^CREATE TABLE\>/p
        :redir END
        :let &more = save_more

        > 4.
        >
        > ALTER TABLE "PCDCNV"."VALIDASSOCIATION" ADD CONSTRAINT
        > "FK_VALIDASSOCIATION_03" FOREIGN KEY ("OBJECTTYPEUID") REFERENCES
        > "OBJECTTYPE" ("OBJECTTYPEUID") ENABLE NOVALIDATE
        > ;
        >
        > How can I extract only those 'ALTER TABLE ....ADD CONSTRAINT' till ';'clause
        > from this file and save it as new file '3.sql';

        This third case is left as an exercise to the student.

        > If any friend can give me an answer, it can give me a lot help to resolve
        > urgent need, while I still keep learning it.
        >

        > Thanks a lot in advance..
        >
        > Jerry

        Now that you've read Fortune's diet truths, you'll be prepared the next
        time some housewife or boutique-owner-turned-diet-expert appears on TV
        to plug her latest book. And, if you still feel a twinge of guilt for
        eating coffee cake while listening to her exhortations, ask yourself
        the following questions:

        (1) Do I dare trust a person who actually considers alfalfa sprouts a
        food?
        (2) Was the author's sole motive in writing this book to get rich
        exploiting the forlorn hopes of chubby people like me?
        (3) Would a longer life be worthwhile if it had to be lived as
        prescribed ... without French-fried onion rings, pizza with
        double cheese, or the occasional Mai-Tai? (Remember, living
        right doesn't really make you live longer, it just *seems* like
        longer.)

        That, and another piece of coffee cake, should do the trick.

      • David Fishburn
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 2, 2008
          On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 2:45 PM, Jerrygreat <sheng.wang@...> wrote:

          > Hello, Buddies,
          > I must use Unix vim editor to edit a very large xxx.sql file. I have the
          > following urgent sytax question, I wonder if any friend can help me a
          > liittle....
          > (I just bought a vim book, however, I am still not good enough.. )
          >
          > 1. I have a lot of lines with break like below:
          > ALTER TABLE "HCDCNV"."SUBLEDGER_ENTRY" ENABLE CONSTRAINT
          > "SUBLEDGER_ENRTY_FK5" ;

          This plugin will not specifically help with your issue (reformatting
          ALTER and CREATE statements), but it will help with many of SQL
          related tasks.

          This one:
          SQLUtilities : SQL utilities - Formatting, generate - columns lists,
          procedures for databases

          Will allow you to reformat SELECT statements of any size into a nice
          readable format.

          This one:
          dbext.vim : Provides database access to many dbms (Oracle, Sybase,
          Microsoft, MySQL, DBI,..)

          Will help in a number of ways:
          1. It will allow you to execute and query the database from within Vim.
          2. Works with the autoload/sqlcomplete.vim to allow you to perform
          table and column (and more) name completion while you code.
          3. Works with many different filetypes and can parse a statement
          prompting you for parameters. This allows you to execute your code
          without having to unmangle your strings in Java, Perl, Javascript and
          others.

          HTH,
          Dave

        • Wang, Sheng (Controllers, Controllers)
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 3, 2008
            HI, Tony,
            Thank you very much for your answers, it is very helpful.
            I only have one thing that I cannot run sucessfully.

            For the below question,

            > CREATE TABLE "HCDCNV"."ADDR_AGREEMENT" ("AGREEMENT_ID" NUMBER,
            > "AGREEMENT_CODE" VARCHAR2(64) NOT NULL ENABLE, "AGREEMENT_EFF" DATE
            > NOT NULL ENABLE, "CRTN_DT_TMSTMP" DATE NOT NULL ENABLE, "IS_VALID"
            > VARCHAR2(1) NOT NULL ENABLE, "CRTN_LGN_ID" VARCHAR2(20) NOT NULL
            > ENABLE, "MDFD_DT_TMSTMP" DATE NOT NULL ENABLE, "MDFD_LGN_ID"
            > VARCHAR2(20) NOT NULL ENABLE) PCTFREE 10 PCTUSED 80 INITRANS 1
            > MAXTRANS 255 STORAGE(INITIAL 1048576 FREELISTS 1 FREELIST GROUPS 1)
            > TABLESPACE "CONVTABLES" LOGGING NOCOMPRESS ;
            >
            > so how can I extract only those 'CREATE TABLE....' clause till ';'
            > from this file and save it to a new file, say '2.sql'

            I try to use
            g/^CREATE TABLE/,/;/ w!>> create_table_ddl.sql

            Vim shows:
            E486: Pattern not found: ^CREATE TABLE

            Anything I need to change for syntax?

            Thanks a lot
            This communication, including attachments, is for the exclusive use of addressee and may contain proprietary, confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, copying, disclosure, dissemination or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, delete this communication and destroy all copies.

          • Jerrygreat
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 3, 2008
              HI, Tony,
              Thank you very much for your answers, it is very helpful.
              I only have one thing that I cannot run sucessfully.

              For the below question,

              > CREATE TABLE "HCDCNV"."ADDR_AGREEMENT" ("AGREEMENT_ID" NUMBER,
              > "AGREEMENT_CODE" VARCHAR2(64) NOT NULL ENABLE, "AGREEMENT_EFF" DATE
              > NOT NULL ENABLE, "CRTN_DT_TMSTMP" DATE NOT NULL ENABLE, "IS_VALID"
              > VARCHAR2(1) NOT NULL ENABLE, "CRTN_LGN_ID" VARCHAR2(20) NOT NULL
              > ENABLE, "MDFD_DT_TMSTMP" DATE NOT NULL ENABLE, "MDFD_LGN_ID"
              > VARCHAR2(20) NOT NULL ENABLE) PCTFREE 10 PCTUSED 80 INITRANS 1
              > MAXTRANS 255 STORAGE(INITIAL 1048576 FREELISTS 1 FREELIST GROUPS 1)
              > TABLESPACE "CONVTABLES" LOGGING NOCOMPRESS ;
              >
              > so how can I extract only those 'CREATE TABLE....' clause till ';'
              > from this file and save it to a new file, say '2.sql'

              I try to use
              g/^CREATE TABLE/,/;/ w!>> 2.sql

              Jerrygreat wrote:

              > Hello, Buddies,
              > I must use Unix vim editor to edit a very large xxx.sql file. I have the
              > following urgent sytax question, I wonder if any friend can help me a
              > liittle....
              > (I just bought a vim book, however, I am still not good enough.. )
              >
              > 1. I have a lot of lines with break like below:
              > ALTER TABLE "HCDCNV"."SUBLEDGER_ENTRY" ENABLE CONSTRAINT
              > "SUBLEDGER_ENRTY_FK5" ;
              > (how can I change it to )
              > ALTER TABLE "HCDCNV"."SUBLEDGER_ENTRY" ENABLE CONSTRAINT
              > "SUBLEDGER_ENRTY_FK5" ; ---no break for each line in the whole file.
              > (and a liitle more...
              > if I can merge all the lines into one line before ';' in whole file? How?
              >

              > 2.I just want to extrat those 'ALTER TABLE ...ENABLE CONSTRAINT..' clause
              > (like below as example)in the whole xxx.sql file, and save it to new file
              > called '1.sql'
              >
              > ALTER TABLE "HCDCNV"."SUBLEDGER_ENTRY" ENABLE CONSTRAINT
              > "SUBLEDGER_ENRTY_FK5" ;
              > ALTER TABLE "PCDCNV"."VALIDASSOCIATION" ENABLE CONSTRAINT
              > "FK_VALIDASSOCIATION_01";
              > ALTER TABLE "PCDCNV"."VALIDASSOCIATION" ENABLE CONSTRAINT
              > "FK_VALIDASSOCIATION_02";
              >

              > 3. in the whole file, there are some 'CREATE TABLE....' clause, like below
              >
              > CREATE TABLE "HCDCNV"."ADDR_AGREEMENT" ("AGREEMENT_ID" NUMBER,
              > "AGREEMENT_CODE" VARCHAR2(64) NOT NULL ENABLE, "AGREEMENT_EFF" DATE
              > NOT NULL ENABLE, "CRTN_DT_TMSTMP" DATE NOT NULL ENABLE, "IS_VALID"
              > VARCHAR2(1) NOT NULL ENABLE, "CRTN_LGN_ID" VARCHAR2(20) NOT NULL
              > ENABLE, "MDFD_DT_TMSTMP" DATE NOT NULL ENABLE, "MDFD_LGN_ID"
              > VARCHAR2(20) NOT NULL ENABLE) PCTFREE 10 PCTUSED 80 INITRANS 1
              > MAXTRANS 255 STORAGE(INITIAL 1048576 FREELISTS 1 FREELIST GROUPS 1)
              > TABLESPACE "CONVTABLES" LOGGING NOCOMPRESS ;
              >
              > so how can I extract only those 'CREATE TABLE....' clause till ';' from
              > this file and save it to a new file, say '2.sql'
              >
              > 4.
              >
              > ALTER TABLE "PCDCNV"."VALIDASSOCIATION" ADD CONSTRAINT
              > "FK_VALIDASSOCIATION_03" FOREIGN KEY ("OBJECTTYPEUID") REFERENCES
              > "OBJECTTYPE" ("OBJECTTYPEUID") ENABLE NOVALIDATE
              > ;
              >
              > How can I extract only those 'ALTER TABLE ....ADD CONSTRAINT' till
              > ';'clause from this file and save it as new file '3.sql';
              >

              > If any friend can give me an answer, it can give me a lot help to resolve
              > urgent need, while I still keep learning it.
              >

              > Thanks a lot in advance..
              >
              > Jerry

            • Ben Schmidt
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 3, 2008
                >> CREATE TABLE "HCDCNV"."ADDR_AGREEMENT" ("AGREEMENT_ID" NUMBER,
                >> "AGREEMENT_CODE" VARCHAR2(64) NOT NULL ENABLE, "AGREEMENT_EFF" DATE
                >> NOT NULL ENABLE, "CRTN_DT_TMSTMP" DATE NOT NULL ENABLE, "IS_VALID"
                >> VARCHAR2(1) NOT NULL ENABLE, "CRTN_LGN_ID" VARCHAR2(20) NOT NULL
                >> ENABLE, "MDFD_DT_TMSTMP" DATE NOT NULL ENABLE, "MDFD_LGN_ID"
                >> VARCHAR2(20) NOT NULL ENABLE) PCTFREE 10 PCTUSED 80 INITRANS 1
                >> MAXTRANS 255 STORAGE(INITIAL 1048576 FREELISTS 1 FREELIST GROUPS 1)
                >> TABLESPACE "CONVTABLES" LOGGING NOCOMPRESS ;
                >>
                >> so how can I extract only those 'CREATE TABLE....' clause till ';'
                >> from this file and save it to a new file, say '2.sql'
                >
                > I try to use
                > g/^CREATE TABLE/,/;/ w!>> 2.sql
                >
                > Vim shows:
                > E486: Pattern not found: ^CREATE TABLE

                It works for me. Perhaps your CREATE TABLE is not truly at the
                beginning of the line. You may need to change your pattern slightly if
                it isn't. E.g. to allow whitespace before it:

                /^\s*CREATE TABLE/

                Note that your syntax also assumes that your ';' is at the end of a
                line. If it isn't, the rest of the line also will be written to the
                file, because the :w command (as all Ex commands) works with whole
                lines.

                Ben.

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 3, 2008
                  On 03/11/08 21:56, Wang, Sheng (Controllers, Controllers) wrote:
                  > HI, Tony,
                  > Thank you very much for your answers, it is very helpful.
                  > I only have one thing that I cannot run sucessfully.
                  >
                  > For the below question,
                  >

                  >> CREATE TABLE "HCDCNV"."ADDR_AGREEMENT" ("AGREEMENT_ID" NUMBER,
                  >> "AGREEMENT_CODE" VARCHAR2(64) NOT NULL ENABLE, "AGREEMENT_EFF" DATE
                  >> NOT NULL ENABLE, "CRTN_DT_TMSTMP" DATE NOT NULL ENABLE, "IS_VALID"
                  >> VARCHAR2(1) NOT NULL ENABLE, "CRTN_LGN_ID" VARCHAR2(20) NOT NULL
                  >> ENABLE, "MDFD_DT_TMSTMP" DATE NOT NULL ENABLE, "MDFD_LGN_ID"
                  >> VARCHAR2(20) NOT NULL ENABLE) PCTFREE 10 PCTUSED 80 INITRANS 1
                  >> MAXTRANS 255 STORAGE(INITIAL 1048576 FREELISTS 1 FREELIST GROUPS 1)
                  >> TABLESPACE "CONVTABLES" LOGGING NOCOMPRESS ;
                  >>
                  >> so how can I extract only those 'CREATE TABLE....' clause till ';'
                  >> from this file and save it to a new file, say '2.sql'
                  >

                  > I try to use
                  > g/^CREATE TABLE/,/;/ w!>> create_table_ddl.sql
                  >
                  > Vim shows:
                  > E486: Pattern not found: ^CREATE TABLE
                  >
                  > Anything I need to change for syntax?
                  >
                  > Thanks a lot

                  Well, you seemed to imply that CREATE TABLE would come at the start of a
                  long line ended by a semicolon. So what went wrong? You tell me. Was it
                  not at the start of a line? Were there more than one space between
                  CREATE and TABLE? Were there tabs either before or between? Was it
                  something else? I believe that the commands which I gave you, which were
                  not what you showed above, would have worked on any number of "long
                  lines" all ended by a semicolon, in order to extract those that began
                  with "CREATE TABLE". Now you tell me the exact details, or better,
                  follow the help links in my previous post and find out what you did wrong.

                  Jenkinson's Law:
                  It won't work.