GUI in Vim V7.2 for Windows is translated to local language

  • maalobs
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2008
      Hi there,

      I just installed windows on a new office computer and a new home computer, one with English Windows XP Pro and and one with English Windows Vista x64.
      I have used Vim for many years, and I think the "latest" version I had installed on the old machines was 6.1.

      Now to my horror I discovered that the UI in Vim V7.2 was translated to Swedish, without me being asked about it during the installation.
      My regional setting in Windows is Swedish on both machines, but that's because I want ISO8601-formatting, not because I like being subjected to the travesty of svengelska (= "swenglish").
      Surely this can be rectified by issuing some command to ignore translation-attempts of the UI, but unfortunately I have not found it.
      I searched the docs, but the best I could find was :language and :help locale, and neither of them were relevant.

      Is there a way to acquire an English GUI in Windows Vim in spite of having a non-English regional setting in Windows?

      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2008
        On 01/11/08 22:58, maalobs wrote:
        > Hi there,
        > I just installed windows on a new office computer and a new home
        > computer, one with English Windows XP Pro and and one with English
        > Windows Vista x64.
        > I have used Vim for many years, and I think the "latest" version I had
        > installed on the old machines was 6.1.
        > Now to my horror I discovered that the UI in Vim V7.2 was translated to
        > Swedish, without me being asked about it during the installation.
        > My regional setting in Windows is Swedish on both machines, but that's
        > because I want ISO8601-formatting, not because I like being subjected to
        > the travesty of svengelska (= "swenglish").
        > Surely this can be rectified by issuing some command to ignore
        > translation-attempts of the UI, but unfortunately I have not found it.
        > I searched the docs, but the best I could find was :language and :help
        > locale, and neither of them were relevant.
        > Is there a way to acquire an English GUI in Windows Vim in spite of
        > having a non-English regional setting in Windows?

        Both are relevant. To get Vim messages and menus in English regardless
        of the OS language setting, just add the following near the top of your
        vimrc:

        if has('unix')
        language messages C
        else
        language messages en
        endif

        None of the following (which are normally not all present) should
        precede it:

        source $VIMRUNTIME/vimrc_example.vim
        runtime vimrc_example.vim
        filetype on
        filetype plugin on
        filetype indent on
        filetype plugin indent on
        syntax enable
        syntax on

        241. You try to look for Net Search even when you're in File Manager.

      • maalobs
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 2, 2008
          2008/11/1 Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...>

          > On 01/11/08 22:58, maalobs wrote:
          >> Is there a way to acquire an English GUI in Windows Vim in spite
          >> of having a non-English regional setting in Windows?

          > To get Vim messages and menus in English regardless of the OS
          > language setting, just add the following near the top of your vimrc:

          > if has('unix')
          > language messages C
          > else
          > language messages en
          > endif

          > None of the following (which are normally not all present) should
          > precede it:

          > source $VIMRUNTIME/vimrc_example.vim
          > runtime vimrc_example.vim
          > filetype on