Re: gtk printing

  • bill lam
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2008
      Hi Tony,
      Thank you for pointing out the +postscript option. I'll spare some
      time to learn linux lpr commands.

      --
      regards,
      GPG key 1024D/4434BAB3 2008-08-24

    • Bram Moolenaar
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 6, 2008
        Bill Lam wrote:

        > On Sat, 01 Nov 2008, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
        >

        > > On 01/11/08 02:57, bill lam wrote:
        > > > afaics gtk-gvim use linux console mode printing commands. Will gvim
        > > > use the more user friendly gtk printing system? I wish I can use gvim
        > > > instead of gedit/geany for printing
        > > >

        > > If the ":hardcopy" command, and the options displayed by
        > >
        > > :help 'print<Ctrl-D>
        > >
        > > are not friendly enough for you, you may load the editfile in your
        > > favourite browser (maybe copy it first to some *.txt filename make sure
        > > it will be treated as text/plain) and print from there.
        >
        > This is the workaround I currently use.
        >
        > :hardcopy in win32 gvim will pop up a familiar print dialog for
        > choosing or config printers. gtk should have a similar dialog
        > available but gvim choose to ignore that.
        >
        > Hypothetically, if :hardcopy on win32 gvim is the same as that in
        > linux gvim, I guess notepad will also be needed as a workaround for
        > printing.
        >
        > That said, I did not suggest that gtk print dialog should be used in
        > console mode vim.

        It would be convenient if the Unix version would allow setting printer
        options with a dialog. So that you can pick your printer from a list,
        instead of having to change a Vim option.

        This requires writing code that is machine specific. The GTK libraries
        probably have some support for this. But GTK is known for flaws and
        limited documentation, so one needs to figure out how to make this work
        inside Vim. The MS-Windows code may give some hints about what settings
        we want to have in the dialog.

        I assume that generating the file to pring remains the same. It's only
        the settings dialog that we need. One thing that might work better when
        switching from PostScript to some GUI library is handling of utf-8
        printing.

        188. You purchase a laptop so you can surf while sitting on the can.