gtk printing

  • bill lam
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 31, 2008
      afaics gtk-gvim use linux console mode printing commands. Will gvim
      use the more user friendly gtk printing system? I wish I can use gvim
      instead of gedit/geany for printing

      --
      regards,
      GPG key 1024D/4434BAB3 2008-08-24

      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 31, 2008
        On 01/11/08 02:57, bill lam wrote:
        > afaics gtk-gvim use linux console mode printing commands. Will gvim
        > use the more user friendly gtk printing system? I wish I can use gvim
        > instead of gedit/geany for printing

        If the ":hardcopy" command, and the options displayed by

        :help 'print<Ctrl-D>

        are not friendly enough for you, you may load the editfile in your
        favourite browser (maybe copy it first to some *.txt filename make sure
        it will be treated as text/plain) and print from there.

        238. You think faxes are old-fashioned.

      • bill lam
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 1, 2008
          On Sat, 01 Nov 2008, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

          > On 01/11/08 02:57, bill lam wrote:
          > > afaics gtk-gvim use linux console mode printing commands. Will gvim
          > > use the more user friendly gtk printing system? I wish I can use gvim
          > > instead of gedit/geany for printing
          > >

          > If the ":hardcopy" command, and the options displayed by
          >
          > :help 'print<Ctrl-D>
          >
          > are not friendly enough for you, you may load the editfile in your
          > favourite browser (maybe copy it first to some *.txt filename make sure
          > it will be treated as text/plain) and print from there.

          This is the workaround I currently use.

          :hardcopy in win32 gvim will pop up a familiar print dialog for
          choosing or config printers. gtk should have a similar dialog
          available but gvim choose to ignore that.

          Hypothetically, if :hardcopy on win32 gvim is the same as that in
          linux gvim, I guess notepad will also be needed as a workaround for
          printing.

          That said, I did not suggest that gtk print dialog should be used in
          console mode vim.

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 1, 2008
            On 01/11/08 09:07, bill lam wrote:
            > On Sat, 01 Nov 2008, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
            >
            >> On 01/11/08 02:57, bill lam wrote:
            >>> afaics gtk-gvim use linux console mode printing commands. Will gvim
            >>> use the more user friendly gtk printing system? I wish I can use gvim
            >>> instead of gedit/geany for printing
            >>>
            >> If the ":hardcopy" command, and the options displayed by
            >>
            >> :help 'print<Ctrl-D>
            >>
            >> are not friendly enough for you, you may load the editfile in your
            >> favourite browser (maybe copy it first to some *.txt filename make sure
            >> it will be treated as text/plain) and print from there.
            >
            > This is the workaround I currently use.
            >
            > :hardcopy in win32 gvim will pop up a familiar print dialog for
            > choosing or config printers. gtk should have a similar dialog
            > available but gvim choose to ignore that.
            >
            > Hypothetically, if :hardcopy on win32 gvim is the same as that in
            > linux gvim, I guess notepad will also be needed as a workaround for
            > printing.
            >
            > That said, I did not suggest that gtk print dialog should be used in
            > console mode vim.

            On Linux [g]vim, +print requires +postscript. This is not the case on
            Windows [g]vim, where +print -postscript uses the Windows print dialog,
            or the default printer and settings when invoked with an exclamation
            mark. I suppose the Windows print routine was added later because
            PostScript is not found on Windows as commonly as on Unix-like systems.

            On Unix systems (and, I think, on +postscript versions for Windows, if
            any) 'printoptions' are used to define the page size, margins,
            orientation, etc. etc. etc. Then 'printexpr' is used to print the
            resulting PostScript file. The 'printexpr' default is usually OK, that's
            what I use.

            About replacing PostScript processing by GTK printing (but only on gvim
            versions with GTK or GTK2 GUI, of course) that would be adding a level
            of complexity, and at the same time break with well-known existing
            behaviour. My motto for this kind of cases: it ain't broke, so don't fix it.

            The problem ... is that we have run out of dinosaurs to form oil with.
            Scientists working for the Department of Energy have tried to form oil
            using other animals; they've piled thousands of tons of sand and Middle
            Eastern countries on top of cows, raccoons, haddock, laboratory rats,
            etc., but so far all they have managed to do is run up an enormous
            bulldozer-rental bill and anger a lot of Middle Eastern persons. None
            of the animals turned into oil, although most of the laboratory rats
            developed cancer.
            -- Dave Barry, "Postpetroleum Guzzler"

          • bill lam
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 1, 2008
              Hi Tony,
              Thank you for pointing out the +postscript option. I'll spare some
              time to learn linux lpr commands.

              --
              regards,
              GPG key 1024D/4434BAB3 2008-08-24

            • Bram Moolenaar
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 6, 2008
                Bill Lam wrote:

                > On Sat, 01 Nov 2008, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
                >

                > > On 01/11/08 02:57, bill lam wrote:
                > > > afaics gtk-gvim use linux console mode printing commands. Will gvim
                > > > use the more user friendly gtk printing system? I wish I can use gvim
                > > > instead of gedit/geany for printing
                > > >

                > > If the ":hardcopy" command, and the options displayed by
                > >
                > > :help 'print<Ctrl-D>
                > >
                > > are not friendly enough for you, you may load the editfile in your
                > > favourite browser (maybe copy it first to some *.txt filename make sure
                > > it will be treated as text/plain) and print from there.
                >
                > This is the workaround I currently use.
                >
                > :hardcopy in win32 gvim will pop up a familiar print dialog for
                > choosing or config printers. gtk should have a similar dialog
                > available but gvim choose to ignore that.
                >
                > Hypothetically, if :hardcopy on win32 gvim is the same as that in
                > linux gvim, I guess notepad will also be needed as a workaround for
                > printing.
                >
                > That said, I did not suggest that gtk print dialog should be used in
                > console mode vim.

                It would be convenient if the Unix version would allow setting printer
                options with a dialog. So that you can pick your printer from a list,
                instead of having to change a Vim option.

                This requires writing code that is machine specific. The GTK libraries
                probably have some support for this. But GTK is known for flaws and
                limited documentation, so one needs to figure out how to make this work
                inside Vim. The MS-Windows code may give some hints about what settings
                we want to have in the dialog.

                I assume that generating the file to pring remains the same. It's only
                the settings dialog that we need. One thing that might work better when
                switching from PostScript to some GUI library is handling of utf-8
                printing.

                188. You purchase a laptop so you can surf while sitting on the can.