Re: comment block weirdness with php filetype

    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 31, 2008
      On 31/10/08 18:00, David Fishburn wrote:
      > On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 4:45 PM, Tony Mechelynck
      > <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
      >> On 30/10/08 19:09, John Wellesz wrote:
      >> [...]
      >>> Yep this is often because indent scripts are not accurate and you find
      >>> yourself formating your code in a certain way just to make the ident
      >>> script happy...
      >>> Hopefuly this is not the case with my indent script :)
      >> [...]
      >>
      >> My approach is just not to care what makes the indent script happy or
      >> unhappy: with ":filetype indent off" I indent my files (of any filetype)
      >> manually the way I damn well please.
      >
      > That is of course your prerogative, but the indent scripts provide a
      > very useful function. If they are not behaving correctly then
      > hopefully the author of the indent script can make the corrections.
      >
      > I know we are all busy with our day to day work, but there should be
      > some provision for adding changes made by other people when the
      > documented maintainers are not responding. This I image would have to
      > be maintained by some of the people on the vim_dev list which have
      > more frequent communication with Bram. Inundating Bram with
      > unqualified code changes without the history of maintainer absence
      > would most likely not get too far.
      >
      > My 2 cents.
      > Dave

      Of course.

      The fact is: my indenting style is just too unruly for scripting. Oh,
      other people may shudder at the look of my HTML source but I like it the
      way it is, and I'm the only one making changes in my own pages.

      For Vim scripts, ":set autoindent smartindent" is good enough for me.
      Even 'cindent' I don't use, but then I don't program in C anyway, and in
      CSS my coding style is, shall I say, "clear but unusual".

      "I have just read your lousy review buried in the back pages. You
      sound like a frustrated old man who never made a success, an
      eight-ulcer man on a four-ulcer job, and all four ulcers working. I
      have never met you, but if I do you'll need a new nose and plenty of
      beefsteak and perhaps a supporter below. Westbrook Pegler, a
      guttersnipe, is a gentleman compared to you. You can take that as more
      of an insult than as a reflection on your ancestry."
      -- President Harry S Truman