Re: comment block weirdness with php filetype

  • David Fishburn
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 30, 2008
      >> I don't suppose it matters all that much, but my personal opinion is
      >> that indent should really just be about indent, and formatting features
      >> should be in the ftplugins.

      Absolutely, that is what the ftplugin directory is for.

      ftplugin/sql.vim sets all the options for SQL (formatoptions and much
      more), it has nothing to do with indenting and vice-versa.

      Dave

    • Ben Schmidt
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 30, 2008
        John Wellesz wrote:
        > On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 10:52 AM, Ben Schmidt
        > <mail_ben_schmidt@... <mailto:mail_ben_schmidt@...>>
        > wrote:
        >
        > You also have to move the whole function definition of ResetPhpOptions,
        > or it's called before it's defined. I guess it's more a larger change
        > than a more complicated change, which is really what I meant.
        >
        > no need to move ResetPhpOptions() around ; here is the new php.vim
        > (version 1.30 BETA 1)
        >
        > http://www.2072productions.com/vim/indent/beta/php.vim

        O yes, of course you don't. I must be going crazy. I'll install the beta
        and see if I notice anything.

        Thanks for your work on this.

        > I don't suppose it matters all that much, but my personal opinion is
        > that indent should really just be about indent, and formatting features
        > should be in the ftplugins.
        >
        > I agree with you but it's not always easy to contact and to convince the
        > maintainer... (I had a lot of troubles with the previous author of the
        > php indent script)

        Well, we'll wait and see if Dan replies, and what he says!

        Smiles,

        Ben.

        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 30, 2008
          On 30/10/08 19:09, John Wellesz wrote:
          [...]
          > Yep this is often because indent scripts are not accurate and you find
          > yourself formating your code in a certain way just to make the ident
          > script happy...
          > Hopefuly this is not the case with my indent script :)
          [...]

          My approach is just not to care what makes the indent script happy or
          unhappy: with ":filetype indent off" I indent my files (of any filetype)
          manually the way I damn well please.

          There are two sides to every divorce: yours and the shithead's.

        • David Fishburn
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 31, 2008
            On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 4:45 PM, Tony Mechelynck
            <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:

            > On 30/10/08 19:09, John Wellesz wrote:
            > [...]
            >> Yep this is often because indent scripts are not accurate and you find
            >> yourself formating your code in a certain way just to make the ident
            >> script happy...
            >> Hopefuly this is not the case with my indent script :)
            > [...]
            >
            > My approach is just not to care what makes the indent script happy or
            > unhappy: with ":filetype indent off" I indent my files (of any filetype)
            > manually the way I damn well please.

            That is of course your prerogative, but the indent scripts provide a
            very useful function. If they are not behaving correctly then
            hopefully the author of the indent script can make the corrections.

            I know we are all busy with our day to day work, but there should be
            some provision for adding changes made by other people when the
            documented maintainers are not responding. This I image would have to
            be maintained by some of the people on the vim_dev list which have
            more frequent communication with Bram. Inundating Bram with
            unqualified code changes without the history of maintainer absence
            would most likely not get too far.

            My 2 cents.
            Dave

            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 31, 2008
              On 31/10/08 18:00, David Fishburn wrote:
              > On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 4:45 PM, Tony Mechelynck
              > <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
              >> On 30/10/08 19:09, John Wellesz wrote:
              >> [...]
              >>> Yep this is often because indent scripts are not accurate and you find
              >>> yourself formating your code in a certain way just to make the ident
              >>> script happy...
              >>> Hopefuly this is not the case with my indent script :)
              >> [...]
              >>
              >> My approach is just not to care what makes the indent script happy or
              >> unhappy: with ":filetype indent off" I indent my files (of any filetype)
              >> manually the way I damn well please.
              >
              > That is of course your prerogative, but the indent scripts provide a
              > very useful function. If they are not behaving correctly then
              > hopefully the author of the indent script can make the corrections.
              >
              > I know we are all busy with our day to day work, but there should be
              > some provision for adding changes made by other people when the
              > documented maintainers are not responding. This I image would have to
              > be maintained by some of the people on the vim_dev list which have
              > more frequent communication with Bram. Inundating Bram with
              > unqualified code changes without the history of maintainer absence
              > would most likely not get too far.
              >
              > My 2 cents.
              > Dave

              Of course.

              The fact is: my indenting style is just too unruly for scripting. Oh,
              other people may shudder at the look of my HTML source but I like it the
              way it is, and I'm the only one making changes in my own pages.

              For Vim scripts, ":set autoindent smartindent" is good enough for me.
              Even 'cindent' I don't use, but then I don't program in C anyway, and in
              CSS my coding style is, shall I say, "clear but unusual".

              "I have just read your lousy review buried in the back pages. You
              sound like a frustrated old man who never made a success, an
              eight-ulcer man on a four-ulcer job, and all four ulcers working. I
              have never met you, but if I do you'll need a new nose and plenty of
              beefsteak and perhaps a supporter below. Westbrook Pegler, a
              guttersnipe, is a gentleman compared to you. You can take that as more
              of an insult than as a reflection on your ancestry."
              -- President Harry S Truman