Git repository for external patches

  • Markus Heidelberg
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 12, 2008
      Hello,

      I have set up a git repository for extensions and features that didn't yet or
      won't ever get into mainline Vim. See http://repo.or.cz/w/vim_extended.git
      Description can be found in the readme block. Without having git installed you
      can still download single patches or whole archive files (.tar.gz) with the
      complete source code. But using git is more comfortable, of course.

      There were several discussions from time to time the last months about what to
      do to let users know about external patches. There was no central place to look
      for it, so features useful for some people probably weren't known to them. 3
      weeks ago then Bram set up a "Vim patches list" site on Google Groups [1].
      There are entries for 10 patches so far, but the problem with applying
      patches, maybe solving conflicts between patches or the failing of non
      up-to-date patches with each update remains. Having a repository with the
      patches included reduces the work and increases the convenience for the user.

      The repository is based on the subversion repository via git-svn. Thanks for
      the work, Edward. I've included some up-to-date patches and would be pleased
      to get more in. I didn't include the authors' mail addresses in the commit
      log, I wasn't sure about that. Some patches I tried from [1] were outdated and
      failed to apply. I'm not quite sure about the policy, I think the features can
      be in development state but should already be usable to some extend and
      shouldn't break other stuff :)

      Does anyone know whether gitweb has support for URLs to do "git diff
      base...feature"? Note there are 3 dots, not 2. I would like to add constant
      links for downloading of patches for a specific feature. I know "git diff
      base..feature" (with 2 dots) is possible, but there you would add the feature
      and at the same time "downgrade" if the base-branch contains updates from
      official Vim that aren't yet merged into the feature-branch.

      I hope you will find this useful and I'll get some participation.

      Markus

      [1] http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/web/vim-patches