Re: taglist and auto-update

  • Vincent Arnoux
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 9, 2008
      On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 22:58, Erik Falor <ewfalor@...> wrote:

      > Vim doesn't have a built-in timer that will do something repeatedly, and
      > even if it did, Vim is single-threaded, so it would interrupt your work
      > while it did it's work.
      >
      > The next-best thing you can do is hook into the CursorHold autocommand
      > which would be more than happy to call :TlistUpdate for you after
      > 'updatetime' milliseconds of inactivity. This way, it's gonna happen
      > after a default of 4 seconds after you quit hitting keys, and therefore
      > be less likely to interfere with your typing.
      >
      > see
      > :he CursorHold
      > :he 'updatetime'

      I can't seem to make it work... If I set in my vimrc one of these:
      set updatetime=1000
      ":au! CursorHold *.[ch] nested :TlistUpdate<CR>
      ":au! CursorHold *.[ch] nested exe "silent! TlistUpdate"
      :au! CursorHold *.[ch] nested exe "TlistUpdate"

      It won't work.
      Actually, even if I use the help page example:
      :au! CursorHold *.[ch] nested call PreviewWord()
      The funcion PreviewWord() function don't look to be triggered. Do I
      have to enable these auto-commands in my vimrc?

      Thanks,
      Vincent