"Editor wars"

  • Teemu Likonen
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2008
      Tony Mechelynck wrote (2008-10-02 15:49 +0300):
      > On 02/10/08 14:37, Teemu Likonen wrote:
      > [...]
      >> Don't hang me but I wrote this message with Emacs (Gnus) using the
      >> two-column and text justification features -- spaces shown with the
      >> whitespace-mode of course. :-)
      >
      > I've often seen people post with Outlook Express in Thunderbird
      > newsgroups, so why couldn't you edit mail with Emacs for posting to
      > the Vim mailing list?

      Of course it's not a real issue or anything; just humorously referring
      to editor wars. :-)

      Dreaming about an ultimate (text) editor, somebody really should write
      an editor core engine from scratch with such abstraction that it could
      be integrated to anything and extended like no other software. Desktop
      environments invent new ways of integrating parts together, look for
      KDE's KIO slaves and KPart, for example. These two well-known editors
      are not part of the integration process but are pretty much software
      islands of their own.

      C-u - M-x dreaming-mode
      :set nodreaming

      Anyway, Ollie project sounds interesting. I guess it'll take long time
      to produce something concrete and usable in practice, though.

      http://ollie.thrawn01.org/index.php/Main_Page