Re: VCSCommand and file encoding

    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 2, 2008
      On 02/10/08 11:34, Dmitry Teslenko wrote:
      > On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 20:33, Bob Hiestand<bob.hiestand@...> wrote:
      >> On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 2:47 AM, Dmitry Teslenko<dteslenko@...> wrote:
      >>> Hello!
      >>>
      >>> I use latest version of vim to edit files in cp1251 encoding. I use
      >>> following configuration:
      >>> set enc=utf-8
      >>> set fenc=cp1251
      >>> set fencs=usc-bom,utf-8,cp1251

      s/usc/ucs/

      >>> I'm trying to make use of VCSCommand plugin and suffer some problems
      >>> concerning encoding:
      >>> * VCSDiff command shows something like<e0><a0>.. instead of cyrillic
      >>> letters
      >>> * VCSVimDiff fails with following warning: original file may be lost
      >>> or damaged; don't quit editor until the file is succesfully written!
      >>> in case there's cyrilliyc letters in file
      >> If you have some example files, I'd appreciate it if you mailed them to me.
      >>
      >> What VCS are you using? What is your environment, specifically your
      >> default locale (outside of VIM, where the VCS tools execute)?
      >
      > Every file with cyrillic symbols in cp1251 encoding would be an example:
      > ========
      > words in english
      > текст по-русски
      > ========
      > Copy text between === in Vim , set fenc=cp1251 and write file.
      >
      > I'm using VCS 26 beta; My environment is a WinXP, it's localized
      > russain version of operation system.

      Just as most issues are seldom black or white, so are most good
      solutions seldom black or white. Beware of the solution that requires
      one side to be totally the loser and the other side to be totally the
      winner. The reason there are two sides to begin with usually is
      because neither side has all the facts. Therefore, when the wise
      mediator effects a compromise, he is not acting from political
      motivation. Rather, he is acting from a deep sense of respect for the
      whole truth.
      -- Stephen R. Schwambach

    • Dmitry Teslenko
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 2, 2008
        On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 16:36, Tony Mechelynck
        <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:

        > On 02/10/08 11:34, Dmitry Teslenko wrote:

        > s/usc/ucs/

        Don't understand it. Can you comment, please?

        --
        A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
        Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

      • Anton Sharonov
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 2, 2008
          Tony just have meant, you should replace all occurances of "usc" via
          "ucs" in your settings. It is frequent unix'ism, for example, try this
          on any unix machine (cygwin environment on windows may also be
          sufficient):

          echo 'set fencs=usc-bom,utf-8,cp1251' | sed s/usc/ucs/

          Anton.

          2008/10/2, Dmitry Teslenko <dteslenko@...>:

          > On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 16:36, Tony Mechelynck
          > <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> On 02/10/08 11:34, Dmitry Teslenko wrote:

          >> s/usc/ucs/
          >
          > Don't understand it. Can you comment, please?
          >
          > --
          > A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
          > Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
          > A: Top-posting.

        • Dmitry Teslenko
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 17, 2008
            On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 21:11, Anton Sharonov <anton.sharonov@...> wrote:

            > Tony just have meant, you should replace all occurances of "usc" via
            > "ucs" in your settings. It is frequent unix'ism, for example, try this
            > on any unix machine (cygwin environment on windows may also be
            > sufficient):
            >
            > echo 'set fencs=usc-bom,utf-8,cp1251' | sed s/usc/ucs/
            >
            > Anton.
            >
            > 2008/10/2, Dmitry Teslenko <dteslenko@...>:
            >>
            >> On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 16:36, Tony Mechelynck
            >> <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:

            >>> s/usc/ucs/
            >>
            >> Don't understand it. Can you comment, please?
            It was a typo. I got it. Thanks. However, it doesn't affect problem
            this topis is about.

            --
            A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
            Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?