Re: download problem

  • Dimitra Anastasiou
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 2, 2008
      I am trying to download gvim72.exe
      <ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc/gvim72.exe> (for Windows). It goes to the
      website ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc/gvim72.exe/ but its empty, it
      doesn't show anything.

      Dimitra

      John Beckett schrieb:
      > Dimitra Anastasiou wrote:
      >
      >> Today (1. Oct), the whole day I could not download any
      >> version of vim.
      >>

      > Stuff happens. Sourceforge (vim.org) has been changing their infrastructure -- it
      > will probably come good. I just started a download from vim.org and it seemed to
      > work (I didn't bother completing it). If you still have a problem, you might say
      > what URL gave the trouble, and what the trouble was.
      >
      > John

    • Andy Wokula
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 2, 2008
        Dimitra Anastasiou schrieb:
        > I am trying to download gvim72.exe
        > <ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc/gvim72.exe> (for Windows). It goes to the
        > website ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc/gvim72.exe/ but its empty, it
        > doesn't show anything.
        >
        > Dimitra

        Try one of the mirrors:

        http://www.vim.org/mirrors.php

        --
        Andy

      • John Beckett
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 2, 2008
          Dimitra Anastasiou wrote:
          > I am trying to download gvim72.exe
          > <ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc/gvim72.exe> (for Windows). It
          > goes to the website ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc/gvim72.exe/
          > but its empty, it doesn't show anything.

          I tried the following which started ok (I used Ctrl-C to quit).
          wget ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc/gvim72.exe

          However, I recommend that you do NOT try to download gvim72.exe. First, you need a
          lot more than that to run Vim. Second, you can get a more recent (7.2.21 = 7.2 with
          patch 21) version that is packaged in a nice installer. Many Windows users use this.

          Go to: http://cream.sourceforge.net/download.html
          Click "Windows Vim installers without Cream"
          Click gvim-7-2-21.exe to download it.
          Run the program to install console and GUI Vim. Note that this version is standard
          Vim (without the Cream modifications).

          John

        • Bram Moolenaar
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 2, 2008
            John Beckett wrote:

            > Dimitra Anastasiou wrote:
            > > Today (1. Oct), the whole day I could not download any
            > > version of vim.
            >
            > Stuff happens. Sourceforge (vim.org) has been changing their
            > infrastructure -- it will probably come good. I just started a
            > download from vim.org and it seemed to work (I didn't bother
            > completing it). If you still have a problem, you might say what URL
            > gave the trouble, and what the trouble was.

            SourceForge has been unreliable the last few weeks, but the ftp server
            is elsewhere (because SourceForge download sucks).

            gvim72.exe downloads fine for me...

            --
            The difference between theory and practice, is that in theory, there
            is no difference between theory and practice.

          • Gary Johnson
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 2, 2008
              On 2008-10-02, John Beckett <johnb.beckett@...> wrote:
              > Dimitra Anastasiou wrote:
              > > I am trying to download gvim72.exe
              > > <ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc/gvim72.exe> (for Windows). It
              > > goes to the website ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc/gvim72.exe/
              > > but its empty, it doesn't show anything.
              >
              > I tried the following which started ok (I used Ctrl-C to quit).
              > wget ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc/gvim72.exe
              >
              > However, I recommend that you do NOT try to download gvim72.exe. First, you need a
              > lot more than that to run Vim. Second, you can get a more recent (7.2.21 = 7.2 with
              > patch 21) version that is packaged in a nice installer. Many Windows users use this.

              That _is_ the installer and it has everything the OP needs to run
              Vim.

              > Go to: http://cream.sourceforge.net/download.html
              > Click "Windows Vim installers without Cream"
              > Click gvim-7-2-21.exe to download it.
              > Run the program to install console and GUI Vim. Note that this version is standard
              > Vim (without the Cream modifications).

              I do agree, though, that for an up-to-date patched version, the
              Cream project is a better source.

              Regards,
              Gary