RE: download problem

  • John Beckett
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 2, 2008
      Dimitra Anastasiou wrote:
      > Today (1. Oct), the whole day I could not download any
      > version of vim.

      Stuff happens. Sourceforge (vim.org) has been changing their infrastructure -- it
      will probably come good. I just started a download from vim.org and it seemed to
      work (I didn't bother completing it). If you still have a problem, you might say
      what URL gave the trouble, and what the trouble was.

      John

    • Dimitra Anastasiou
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 2, 2008
        I am trying to download gvim72.exe
        <ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc/gvim72.exe> (for Windows). It goes to the
        website ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc/gvim72.exe/ but its empty, it
        doesn't show anything.

        Dimitra

        John Beckett schrieb:
        > Dimitra Anastasiou wrote:
        >
        >> Today (1. Oct), the whole day I could not download any
        >> version of vim.
        >>

        > Stuff happens. Sourceforge (vim.org) has been changing their infrastructure -- it
        > will probably come good. I just started a download from vim.org and it seemed to
        > work (I didn't bother completing it). If you still have a problem, you might say
        > what URL gave the trouble, and what the trouble was.
        >
        > John

      • Andy Wokula
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 2, 2008
          Dimitra Anastasiou schrieb:
          > I am trying to download gvim72.exe
          > <ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc/gvim72.exe> (for Windows). It goes to the
          > website ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc/gvim72.exe/ but its empty, it
          > doesn't show anything.
          >
          > Dimitra

          Try one of the mirrors:

          http://www.vim.org/mirrors.php

          --
          Andy

        • John Beckett
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 2, 2008
            Dimitra Anastasiou wrote:
            > I am trying to download gvim72.exe
            > <ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc/gvim72.exe> (for Windows). It
            > goes to the website ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc/gvim72.exe/
            > but its empty, it doesn't show anything.

            I tried the following which started ok (I used Ctrl-C to quit).
            wget ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc/gvim72.exe

            However, I recommend that you do NOT try to download gvim72.exe. First, you need a
            lot more than that to run Vim. Second, you can get a more recent (7.2.21 = 7.2 with
            patch 21) version that is packaged in a nice installer. Many Windows users use this.

            Go to: http://cream.sourceforge.net/download.html
            Click "Windows Vim installers without Cream"
            Click gvim-7-2-21.exe to download it.
            Run the program to install console and GUI Vim. Note that this version is standard
            Vim (without the Cream modifications).

            John

          • Bram Moolenaar
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 2, 2008
              John Beckett wrote:

              > Dimitra Anastasiou wrote:
              > > Today (1. Oct), the whole day I could not download any
              > > version of vim.
              >
              > Stuff happens. Sourceforge (vim.org) has been changing their
              > infrastructure -- it will probably come good. I just started a
              > download from vim.org and it seemed to work (I didn't bother
              > completing it). If you still have a problem, you might say what URL
              > gave the trouble, and what the trouble was.

              SourceForge has been unreliable the last few weeks, but the ftp server
              is elsewhere (because SourceForge download sucks).

              gvim72.exe downloads fine for me...

              --
              The difference between theory and practice, is that in theory, there
              is no difference between theory and practice.

            • Gary Johnson
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 2, 2008
                On 2008-10-02, John Beckett <johnb.beckett@...> wrote:
                > Dimitra Anastasiou wrote:
                > > I am trying to download gvim72.exe
                > > <ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc/gvim72.exe> (for Windows). It
                > > goes to the website ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc/gvim72.exe/
                > > but its empty, it doesn't show anything.
                >
                > I tried the following which started ok (I used Ctrl-C to quit).
                > wget ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc/gvim72.exe
                >
                > However, I recommend that you do NOT try to download gvim72.exe. First, you need a
                > lot more than that to run Vim. Second, you can get a more recent (7.2.21 = 7.2 with
                > patch 21) version that is packaged in a nice installer. Many Windows users use this.

                That _is_ the installer and it has everything the OP needs to run
                Vim.

                > Go to: http://cream.sourceforge.net/download.html
                > Click "Windows Vim installers without Cream"
                > Click gvim-7-2-21.exe to download it.
                > Run the program to install console and GUI Vim. Note that this version is standard
                > Vim (without the Cream modifications).

                I do agree, though, that for an up-to-date patched version, the
                Cream project is a better source.

                Regards,
                Gary