Re: column selection/column editing

  • Charles E. Campbell, Jr.
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 2008
      reviol@... wrote:
      > Thanks, Richard!
      >
      > Now comes part two of the exercise. See example below:
      >
      > 6.5 53.94
      > 8.6 34.44
      > 10.7 12.94
      > 12.8 -2.25
      > 14.9 -8.67
      > 16.0 -8.20
      > 18.1 -4.92
      >
      > 12345678901234
      >
      > I'm still in the visual mode. And I have selected, say, the column 7.
      > Now I would like to replace each number in colum 7 by "3".

      You can get vis.vim from:

      http://vim.sourceforge.net/scripts/script.php?script_id=1195 (stable)
      http://mysite.verizon.net/astronaut/vim/index.html#VIS
      (cutting edge)

      Using vis.vim:

      ctrl-v, move to select column, :B s/./3/

      Regards,
      Chip Campbell

    • Gary Johnson
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 2, 2008
        On 2008-10-01, reviol@... wrote:
        > Thanks, Richard!
        >
        > Now comes part two of the exercise. See example below:
        >
        > 6.5 53.94
        > 8.6 34.44
        > 10.7 12.94
        > 12.8 -2.25
        > 14.9 -8.67
        > 16.0 -8.20
        > 18.1 -4.92
        >
        > 12345678901234
        >
        > I'm still in the visual mode. And I have selected, say, the column 7.
        > Now I would like to replace each number in colum 7 by "3".

        That's easy: with that column selected, just type

        r3

        For a list of the operators you can use in visual mode, see

        :help visual-operators

        Regards,
        Gary

      • John Beckett
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 2, 2008
          reviol wrote:
          > Now I would like to replace each number in colum 7 by "3".
          > Note that I looked up Tip 438 in vim.wikia, which is related
          > to my problem, but unclear in the description of the steps.

          Tip 438 is quite good, but I see what you mean:
          http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Search_and_replace_in_a_visual_selection

          In the "Substituting in a visual selection" section I made it a bit easy for myself
          by giving a single-line example. The :s/\%Vxx/yy/g command only operates on the
          current line. When working over several lines, you need to specify a range. Using
          :%s/\%Vxx/yy/g would work.

          In your case, you want to match any character, so 'xx' is '.', and you want to
          replace it with '7', so 'yy' is '7'. So, select the area with Ctrl-V (or perhaps
          Ctrl-Q), press Escape to remove the selection, then enter:

          I know better solutions have been given for this particular example, but the above
          will handle a general substitute.

          Now someone has to edit the tip...

          John