column selection/column editing

  • reviol@wuchem.wustl.edu
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 2008
      Hi!

      I would like to edit a column in an ascii file (an ascii file with numbers).
      The first step would be, I guess, selecting the column via visual selection
      "v". After switching to "v", I'm not able to move down the cursor
      vertically, in order to make the selection I intend to do. What is the
      trick?

      Walter

    • Richard Hartmann
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 2008
        On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 02:47, <reviol@...> wrote:

        > What is the
        > trick?

        ctrl-v

        Richard

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 1, 2008
          On 02/10/08 02:47, reviol@... wrote:
          > Hi!
          >
          > I would like to edit a column in an ascii file (an ascii file with numbers).
          > The first step would be, I guess, selecting the column via visual selection
          > "v". After switching to "v", I'm not able to move down the cursor
          > vertically, in order to make the selection I intend to do. What is the
          > trick?
          >
          > Walter

          To select a rectangle of text, use Ctrl-V (or Ctrl-Q if you have mapped
          Ctrl-V to the paste operation) instead of v. Moving the cursor verically
          is done, as always, using j k (or <Down> <Up>) for small motions, other
          commands for larger motions, see

          :help blockwise-visual
          :help up-down-motions

          193. You ask your girlfriend to drive home so you can sit back with
          your PDA and download the information to your laptop

        • reviol@wuchem.wustl.edu
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 1, 2008
            Thanks, Richard!

            Now comes part two of the exercise. See example below:

            6.5 53.94
            8.6 34.44
            10.7 12.94
            12.8 -2.25
            14.9 -8.67
            16.0 -8.20
            18.1 -4.92

            12345678901234

            I'm still in the visual mode. And I have selected, say, the column 7.
            Now I would like to replace each number in colum 7 by "3".

            Colon brings me to the command line, which appears now as :'<,'>
            I know the substitute command quite well, I guess, namely from "line
            editing". But how to make the susbtitution in this specific example?

            Note that I looked up Tip 438 in vim.wikia, which is related to my
            problem, but unclear in the description of the steps.

            Regards,
            Walter

            > On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 02:47, <reviol@...> wrote:
            >
            >> What is the
            >> trick?
            >
            > ctrl-v
            >

            > Richard

          • David Lam
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 1, 2008
              hmm probably an easier way would be to not go into ex and just hit "r3"  (i.e. replace the visual block with 3!)

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 1, 2008
                On 02/10/08 03:20, reviol@... wrote:
                > Thanks, Richard!
                >
                > Now comes part two of the exercise. See example below:
                >
                > 6.5 53.94
                > 8.6 34.44
                > 10.7 12.94
                > 12.8 -2.25
                > 14.9 -8.67
                > 16.0 -8.20
                > 18.1 -4.92
                >
                > 12345678901234
                >
                > I'm still in the visual mode. And I have selected, say, the column 7.
                > Now I would like to replace each number in colum 7 by "3".
                >
                > Colon brings me to the command line, which appears now as :'<,'>
                > I know the substitute command quite well, I guess, namely from "line
                > editing". But how to make the susbtitution in this specific example?
                >
                > Note that I looked up Tip 438 in vim.wikia, which is related to my
                > problem, but unclear in the description of the steps.
                >
                > Regards,
                > Walter

                >> On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 02:47,<reviol@...> wrote:
                >>
                >>> What is the
                >>> trick?
                >> ctrl-v
                >>

                >> Richard

                See
                :help v_b_I
                :help v_b_A
                :help gv

                To replace all characters in a given column by the digit 3:

                1. block-select (with Ctrl-V + cursor movement)

                2. A3<Esc>

                3. re-select with gv

                4. delete with d or <Del>

                _OR_

                :'<,'>s/\%7v./3/

                (replaces one character in virtual column 7 by a 3 in all lines
                previously highlighted).

                The Kennedy Constant:
                Don't get mad -- get even.

              • Charles E. Campbell, Jr.
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 1, 2008
                  reviol@... wrote:
                  > Thanks, Richard!
                  >
                  > Now comes part two of the exercise. See example below:
                  >
                  > 6.5 53.94
                  > 8.6 34.44
                  > 10.7 12.94
                  > 12.8 -2.25
                  > 14.9 -8.67
                  > 16.0 -8.20
                  > 18.1 -4.92
                  >
                  > 12345678901234
                  >
                  > I'm still in the visual mode. And I have selected, say, the column 7.
                  > Now I would like to replace each number in colum 7 by "3".

                  You can get vis.vim from:

                  http://vim.sourceforge.net/scripts/script.php?script_id=1195 (stable)
                  http://mysite.verizon.net/astronaut/vim/index.html#VIS
                  (cutting edge)

                  Using vis.vim:

                  ctrl-v, move to select column, :B s/./3/

                  Regards,
                  Chip Campbell

                • Gary Johnson
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 2, 2008
                    On 2008-10-01, reviol@... wrote:
                    > Thanks, Richard!
                    >
                    > Now comes part two of the exercise. See example below:
                    >
                    > 6.5 53.94
                    > 8.6 34.44
                    > 10.7 12.94
                    > 12.8 -2.25
                    > 14.9 -8.67
                    > 16.0 -8.20
                    > 18.1 -4.92
                    >
                    > 12345678901234
                    >
                    > I'm still in the visual mode. And I have selected, say, the column 7.
                    > Now I would like to replace each number in colum 7 by "3".

                    That's easy: with that column selected, just type

                    r3

                    For a list of the operators you can use in visual mode, see

                    :help visual-operators

                    Regards,
                    Gary

                  • John Beckett
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 2, 2008
                      reviol wrote:
                      > Now I would like to replace each number in colum 7 by "3".
                      > Note that I looked up Tip 438 in vim.wikia, which is related
                      > to my problem, but unclear in the description of the steps.

                      Tip 438 is quite good, but I see what you mean:
                      http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Search_and_replace_in_a_visual_selection

                      In the "Substituting in a visual selection" section I made it a bit easy for myself
                      by giving a single-line example. The :s/\%Vxx/yy/g command only operates on the
                      current line. When working over several lines, you need to specify a range. Using
                      :%s/\%Vxx/yy/g would work.

                      In your case, you want to match any character, so 'xx' is '.', and you want to
                      replace it with '7', so 'yy' is '7'. So, select the area with Ctrl-V (or perhaps
                      Ctrl-Q), press Escape to remove the selection, then enter:

                      I know better solutions have been given for this particular example, but the above
                      will handle a general substitute.

                      Now someone has to edit the tip...

                      John