Re: spaces

  • Richard Hartmann
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 1, 2008
      On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 20:23, Matthew Winn <vim@...> wrote:

      > Trailing spaces can be made visible, but
      > the visibility of space within a line is implied by the characters
      > surrounding it:

      True.

      > The only possible use for this feature would be if you
      > needed to know exactly how many spaces were in a long gap, but there
      > are easier ways to find that out than making them visible and counting
      > them by eye.

      A quick eyballing can be a lot more convenient than actually counting
      stuff conciously.

      > What problem is solved by making spaces within a line visible?

      I think that is the wrong way to ask this question. As the line has
      to be parsed anyway and all the option handling etc is available
      via list & listchars anyway, overhead would be minimal.
      As few/some/many people would find this useful (if only sometimes,
      as in my case), I don't think there is anything from this being
      supported.

      Ultimately, this is up to Bram, of course.

      Richard

    • A. S. Budden
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 2, 2008
        2008/10/1 Matthew Winn <vim@...>:

        > On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 15:06:27 -0700, "Steve Hall"
        > <digitect@...> wrote:
        >
        >> This always comes up because Vim can not indicate intermediate spaces
        >> with the 'list' option, the obvious feature to do this since it
        >> already indicates tabs, nbsp, eol, and trailing spaces.
        >>
        >> Is there a purposeful reason for this?
        >
        > I would imagine that the reason Vim doesn't do this is because there's
        > not really much use for it. Trailing spaces can be made visible, but
        > the visibility of space within a line is implied by the characters
        > surrounding it:
        >
        > This line has spaces in it.
        > Thislinedoesn'thavespacesinit.
        >
        > In applications that use proportional fonts it's occasionally useful
        > to make spaces visible because it can often be difficult to see the
        > difference between one space and two, but with a fixed-width font
        > that's trivial. The only possible use for this feature would be if you
        > needed to know exactly how many spaces were in a long gap, but there
        > are easier ways to find that out than making them visible and counting
        > them by eye.
        >
        > What problem is solved by making spaces within a line visible?

        The only benefit I've ever really gained from having visible spaces is
        in a couple of slightly obstinate UTF8 files which had several
        different characters used as spaces (causing some very confusing
        problems): I ended up opening it up in a different editor that
        highlighted character 32 as a space and none of the other 'space'
        characters. I guess I could have solved this in Vim by working out
        what ALL of the possible 'space-rendered' UTF8 characters were and
        highlighting them (or just s/x/ /), but it seemed easier to do it the
        manual way in this case as I didn't know how many different characters
        there might be.

        Al

      • Teemu Likonen
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 2, 2008
          Richard Hartmann wrote (2008-10-02 00:34 +0300):
          > On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 20:23, Matthew Winn <vim@...> wrote:
          >> The only possible use for this feature would be if you needed to know
          >> exactly how many spaces were in a long gap, but there are easier ways
          >> to find that out than making them visible and counting them by eye.
          >
          > A quick eyballing can be a lot more convenient than actually counting
          > stuff conciously.

          Yes, it can be difficult to say User can count spaces
          with just eyes that this semi-manually of course but
          paragraph is indented by six it's useful if the tool can
          spaces. Or that there are five help with formatting issues.
          spaces between the two columns.

          Don't hang me but I wrote this message with Emacs (Gnus) using the
          two-column and text justification features -- spaces shown with the
          whitespace-mode of course. :-)

          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 2, 2008
            On 02/10/08 14:37, Teemu Likonen wrote:
            [...]
            > Don't hang me but I wrote this message with Emacs (Gnus) using the
            > two-column and text justification features -- spaces shown with the
            > whitespace-mode of course. :-)

            I've often seen people post with Outlook Express in Thunderbird
            newsgroups, so why couldn't you edit mail with Emacs for posting to the
            Vim mailing list?

            194. Your business cards contain your e-mail and home page address.