Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: spaces

Expand Messages
  • Richard Hartmann
    ... Did you actually look at ... in Vim? You can get help on the topic with ... Please try the other suggestions that were made, as well.
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 1, 2008
    • 0 Attachment
      On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 07:37, Nag, Deepak <deepak.nag@...> wrote:


      > Sometimes showing spaces with some character is really helpful. In Visual
      > Studio we have option to set it. Please look at the picture below.

      Did you actually look at

      :set list

      in Vim? You can get help on the topic with

      :help list
      :help listchars

      Please try the other suggestions that were made, as well.

      Text-like-this-is-not-possible,-at-the-moment.-Sorry.---


      Richard

      --~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
      You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
      For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
      -~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---
    • Matthew Winn
      On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 15:06:27 -0700, Steve Hall ... I would imagine that the reason Vim doesn t do this is because there s not really much use for it.
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 1, 2008
      • 0 Attachment
        On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 15:06:27 -0700, "Steve Hall"
        <digitect@...> wrote:

        > This always comes up because Vim can not indicate intermediate spaces
        > with the 'list' option, the obvious feature to do this since it
        > already indicates tabs, nbsp, eol, and trailing spaces.
        >
        > Is there a purposeful reason for this?

        I would imagine that the reason Vim doesn't do this is because there's
        not really much use for it. Trailing spaces can be made visible, but
        the visibility of space within a line is implied by the characters
        surrounding it:

        This line has spaces in it.
        Thislinedoesn'thavespacesinit.

        In applications that use proportional fonts it's occasionally useful
        to make spaces visible because it can often be difficult to see the
        difference between one space and two, but with a fixed-width font
        that's trivial. The only possible use for this feature would be if you
        needed to know exactly how many spaces were in a long gap, but there
        are easier ways to find that out than making them visible and counting
        them by eye.

        What problem is solved by making spaces within a line visible?

        > I can't name another mature
        > editor or word processor that with "invisible" character indicators
        > that omits intermediate spaces.

        I consider that a misfeature. The only time I've ever made spaces
        visible in other editors is to look for unwanted trailing spaces, and
        then the fact that intermediate spaces are also made visible is an
        unpleasant characteristic of what would otherwise be a useful feature
        to keep enabled at all times.

        --
        Matthew Winn

        --~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
        You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
        For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
        -~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---
      • Richard Hartmann
        ... True. ... A quick eyballing can be a lot more convenient than actually counting stuff conciously. ... I think that is the wrong way to ask this question.
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 1, 2008
        • 0 Attachment
          On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 20:23, Matthew Winn <vim@...> wrote:

          > Trailing spaces can be made visible, but
          > the visibility of space within a line is implied by the characters
          > surrounding it:

          True.

          > The only possible use for this feature would be if you
          > needed to know exactly how many spaces were in a long gap, but there
          > are easier ways to find that out than making them visible and counting
          > them by eye.

          A quick eyballing can be a lot more convenient than actually counting
          stuff conciously.


          > What problem is solved by making spaces within a line visible?

          I think that is the wrong way to ask this question. As the line has
          to be parsed anyway and all the option handling etc is available
          via list & listchars anyway, overhead would be minimal.
          As few/some/many people would find this useful (if only sometimes,
          as in my case), I don't think there is anything from this being
          supported.


          Ultimately, this is up to Bram, of course.

          Richard

          --~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
          You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
          For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
          -~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---
        • A. S. Budden
          ... The only benefit I ve ever really gained from having visible spaces is in a couple of slightly obstinate UTF8 files which had several different characters
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 2, 2008
          • 0 Attachment
            2008/10/1 Matthew Winn <vim@...>:
            >
            > On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 15:06:27 -0700, "Steve Hall"
            > <digitect@...> wrote:
            >
            >> This always comes up because Vim can not indicate intermediate spaces
            >> with the 'list' option, the obvious feature to do this since it
            >> already indicates tabs, nbsp, eol, and trailing spaces.
            >>
            >> Is there a purposeful reason for this?
            >
            > I would imagine that the reason Vim doesn't do this is because there's
            > not really much use for it. Trailing spaces can be made visible, but
            > the visibility of space within a line is implied by the characters
            > surrounding it:
            >
            > This line has spaces in it.
            > Thislinedoesn'thavespacesinit.
            >
            > In applications that use proportional fonts it's occasionally useful
            > to make spaces visible because it can often be difficult to see the
            > difference between one space and two, but with a fixed-width font
            > that's trivial. The only possible use for this feature would be if you
            > needed to know exactly how many spaces were in a long gap, but there
            > are easier ways to find that out than making them visible and counting
            > them by eye.
            >
            > What problem is solved by making spaces within a line visible?

            The only benefit I've ever really gained from having visible spaces is
            in a couple of slightly obstinate UTF8 files which had several
            different characters used as spaces (causing some very confusing
            problems): I ended up opening it up in a different editor that
            highlighted character 32 as a space and none of the other 'space'
            characters. I guess I could have solved this in Vim by working out
            what ALL of the possible 'space-rendered' UTF8 characters were and
            highlighting them (or just s/x/ /), but it seemed easier to do it the
            manual way in this case as I didn't know how many different characters
            there might be.

            Al

            --~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
            You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
            For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
            -~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---
          • Teemu Likonen
            ... Yes, it can be difficult to say User can count spaces with just eyes that this semi-manually of course but paragraph is
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 2, 2008
            • 0 Attachment
              Richard Hartmann wrote (2008-10-02 00:34 +0300):
              > On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 20:23, Matthew Winn <vim@...> wrote:
              >> The only possible use for this feature would be if you needed to know
              >> exactly how many spaces were in a long gap, but there are easier ways
              >> to find that out than making them visible and counting them by eye.
              >
              > A quick eyballing can be a lot more convenient than actually counting
              > stuff conciously.

              Yes, it can be difficult to say User can count spaces
              with just eyes that this semi-manually of course but
              paragraph is indented by six it's useful if the tool can
              spaces. Or that there are five help with formatting issues.
              spaces between the two columns.

              Don't hang me but I wrote this message with Emacs (Gnus) using the
              two-column and text justification features -- spaces shown with the
              whitespace-mode of course. :-)

              --~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
              You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
              For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
              -~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---
            • Tony Mechelynck
              On 02/10/08 14:37, Teemu Likonen wrote: [...] ... I ve often seen people post with Outlook Express in Thunderbird newsgroups, so why couldn t you edit mail
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 2, 2008
              • 0 Attachment
                On 02/10/08 14:37, Teemu Likonen wrote:
                [...]
                > Don't hang me but I wrote this message with Emacs (Gnus) using the
                > two-column and text justification features -- spaces shown with the
                > whitespace-mode of course. :-)

                I've often seen people post with Outlook Express in Thunderbird
                newsgroups, so why couldn't you edit mail with Emacs for posting to the
                Vim mailing list?

                Best regards,
                Tony.
                --
                hundred-and-one symptoms of being an internet addict:
                194. Your business cards contain your e-mail and home page address.

                --~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
                You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
                For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
                -~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---
              Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.