Re: spaces

  • sc
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 30, 2008
      On Wednesday 01 October 2008 00:37, Nag, Deepak wrote:
      > Sometimes showing spaces with some character is really helpful. In
      > Visual Studio we have option to set it. Please look at the picture
      > below.
      >
      > It shows space with a dot. We can easily identity that line 17 and 19
      > has trailing space and line 18 has unwanted spaces.

      Why look at them? If you don't like them, whack them:

      nnoremap <Leader>a :%s/\s\+$//e<CR>

      With the above mapping you'll not only get rid of them, but
      after using it any future trailing whitespace with be
      highlighted with your highlight color of choice (until you
      use locate for something else).

      I used 'a' when I created this because it was my first ever
      Leader command, and I use it a lot, remembering that it gets
      rid of All trailing whitespace.

      sc

    • Richard Hartmann
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 1, 2008
        On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 07:37, Nag, Deepak <deepak.nag@...> wrote:

        > Sometimes showing spaces with some character is really helpful. In Visual
        > Studio we have option to set it. Please look at the picture below.

        Did you actually look at

        :set list

        in Vim? You can get help on the topic with

        :help list
        :help listchars

        Please try the other suggestions that were made, as well.

        Text-like-this-is-not-possible,-at-the-moment.-Sorry.---

        Richard

      • Matthew Winn
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 1, 2008
          On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 15:06:27 -0700, "Steve Hall"
          <digitect@...> wrote:

          > This always comes up because Vim can not indicate intermediate spaces
          > with the 'list' option, the obvious feature to do this since it
          > already indicates tabs, nbsp, eol, and trailing spaces.
          >
          > Is there a purposeful reason for this?

          I would imagine that the reason Vim doesn't do this is because there's
          not really much use for it. Trailing spaces can be made visible, but
          the visibility of space within a line is implied by the characters
          surrounding it:

          This line has spaces in it.
          Thislinedoesn'thavespacesinit.

          In applications that use proportional fonts it's occasionally useful
          to make spaces visible because it can often be difficult to see the
          difference between one space and two, but with a fixed-width font
          that's trivial. The only possible use for this feature would be if you
          needed to know exactly how many spaces were in a long gap, but there
          are easier ways to find that out than making them visible and counting
          them by eye.

          What problem is solved by making spaces within a line visible?

          > I can't name another mature
          > editor or word processor that with "invisible" character indicators
          > that omits intermediate spaces.

          I consider that a misfeature. The only time I've ever made spaces
          visible in other editors is to look for unwanted trailing spaces, and
          then the fact that intermediate spaces are also made visible is an
          unpleasant characteristic of what would otherwise be a useful feature
          to keep enabled at all times.

          --
          Matthew Winn

        • Richard Hartmann
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 1, 2008
            On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 20:23, Matthew Winn <vim@...> wrote:

            > Trailing spaces can be made visible, but
            > the visibility of space within a line is implied by the characters
            > surrounding it:

            True.

            > The only possible use for this feature would be if you
            > needed to know exactly how many spaces were in a long gap, but there
            > are easier ways to find that out than making them visible and counting
            > them by eye.

            A quick eyballing can be a lot more convenient than actually counting
            stuff conciously.

            > What problem is solved by making spaces within a line visible?

            I think that is the wrong way to ask this question. As the line has
            to be parsed anyway and all the option handling etc is available
            via list & listchars anyway, overhead would be minimal.
            As few/some/many people would find this useful (if only sometimes,
            as in my case), I don't think there is anything from this being
            supported.

            Ultimately, this is up to Bram, of course.

            Richard

          • A. S. Budden
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 2, 2008
              2008/10/1 Matthew Winn <vim@...>:

              > On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 15:06:27 -0700, "Steve Hall"
              > <digitect@...> wrote:
              >
              >> This always comes up because Vim can not indicate intermediate spaces
              >> with the 'list' option, the obvious feature to do this since it
              >> already indicates tabs, nbsp, eol, and trailing spaces.
              >>
              >> Is there a purposeful reason for this?
              >
              > I would imagine that the reason Vim doesn't do this is because there's
              > not really much use for it. Trailing spaces can be made visible, but
              > the visibility of space within a line is implied by the characters
              > surrounding it:
              >
              > This line has spaces in it.
              > Thislinedoesn'thavespacesinit.
              >
              > In applications that use proportional fonts it's occasionally useful
              > to make spaces visible because it can often be difficult to see the
              > difference between one space and two, but with a fixed-width font
              > that's trivial. The only possible use for this feature would be if you
              > needed to know exactly how many spaces were in a long gap, but there
              > are easier ways to find that out than making them visible and counting
              > them by eye.
              >
              > What problem is solved by making spaces within a line visible?

              The only benefit I've ever really gained from having visible spaces is
              in a couple of slightly obstinate UTF8 files which had several
              different characters used as spaces (causing some very confusing
              problems): I ended up opening it up in a different editor that
              highlighted character 32 as a space and none of the other 'space'
              characters. I guess I could have solved this in Vim by working out
              what ALL of the possible 'space-rendered' UTF8 characters were and
              highlighting them (or just s/x/ /), but it seemed easier to do it the
              manual way in this case as I didn't know how many different characters
              there might be.

              Al

            • Teemu Likonen
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 2, 2008
                Richard Hartmann wrote (2008-10-02 00:34 +0300):
                > On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 20:23, Matthew Winn <vim@...> wrote:
                >> The only possible use for this feature would be if you needed to know
                >> exactly how many spaces were in a long gap, but there are easier ways
                >> to find that out than making them visible and counting them by eye.
                >
                > A quick eyballing can be a lot more convenient than actually counting
                > stuff conciously.

                Yes, it can be difficult to say User can count spaces
                with just eyes that this semi-manually of course but
                paragraph is indented by six it's useful if the tool can
                spaces. Or that there are five help with formatting issues.
                spaces between the two columns.

                Don't hang me but I wrote this message with Emacs (Gnus) using the
                two-column and text justification features -- spaces shown with the
                whitespace-mode of course. :-)

                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 2, 2008
                  On 02/10/08 14:37, Teemu Likonen wrote:
                  [...]
                  > Don't hang me but I wrote this message with Emacs (Gnus) using the
                  > two-column and text justification features -- spaces shown with the
                  > whitespace-mode of course. :-)

                  I've often seen people post with Outlook Express in Thunderbird
                  newsgroups, so why couldn't you edit mail with Emacs for posting to the
                  Vim mailing list?

                  194. Your business cards contain your e-mail and home page address.