RE: spaces

  • John Beckett
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 30 2:55 AM
      Nag, Deepak wrote:
      > Is it possible to see space by some visual character in Vim?
      > It is important as in some file we do not need extra space

      I'll repeat the answer for this thread. There are several methods:
      http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Highlight_unwanted_spaces

      John

    • Steve Hall
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 30 3:06 PM
        From: "John Beckett", Tue, September 30, 2008 5:55 am
        > Nag, Deepak wrote:
        >
        > > Is it possible to see space by some visual character in Vim? It is
        > > important as in some file we do not need extra space
        >
        > I'll repeat the answer for this thread. There are several methods:
        > http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Highlight_unwanted_spaces

        This always comes up because Vim can not indicate intermediate spaces
        with the 'list' option, the obvious feature to do this since it
        already indicates tabs, nbsp, eol, and trailing spaces.

        Is there a purposeful reason for this? I can't name another mature
        editor or word processor that with "invisible" character indicators
        that omits intermediate spaces.

      • Richard Hartmann
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 30 4:09 PM
          On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 00:06, Steve Hall <digitect@...> wrote:

          > This always comes up because Vim can not indicate intermediate spaces
          > with the 'list' option, the obvious feature to do this since it
          > already indicates tabs, nbsp, eol, and trailing spaces.

          Yes, a way to show them as well would be rather nice, sometimes :)
          Bram, any chance of adding this to TODO?

          Richard

        • Nag, Deepak
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 30 10:37 PM

            Sometimes showing spaces with some character is really helpful. In Visual Studio we have option to set it. Please look at the picture below.

            It shows space with a dot. We can easily identity that line 17 and 19 has trailing space and line 18 has unwanted spaces.

            Regards,

            Deepak Nag

            > This always comes up because Vim can not indicate intermediate spaces

            > with the 'list' option, the obvious feature to do this since it

            > already indicates tabs, nbsp, eol, and trailing spaces.

            Yes, a way to show them as well would be rather nice, sometimes :)

            Bram, any chance of adding this to TODO?

            Richard

          • sc
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 30 11:23 PM
              On Wednesday 01 October 2008 00:37, Nag, Deepak wrote:
              > Sometimes showing spaces with some character is really helpful. In
              > Visual Studio we have option to set it. Please look at the picture
              > below.
              >
              > It shows space with a dot. We can easily identity that line 17 and 19
              > has trailing space and line 18 has unwanted spaces.

              Why look at them? If you don't like them, whack them:

              nnoremap <Leader>a :%s/\s\+$//e<CR>

              With the above mapping you'll not only get rid of them, but
              after using it any future trailing whitespace with be
              highlighted with your highlight color of choice (until you
              use locate for something else).

              I used 'a' when I created this because it was my first ever
              Leader command, and I use it a lot, remembering that it gets
              rid of All trailing whitespace.

              sc

            • Richard Hartmann
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 1, 2008
                On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 07:37, Nag, Deepak <deepak.nag@...> wrote:

                > Sometimes showing spaces with some character is really helpful. In Visual
                > Studio we have option to set it. Please look at the picture below.

                Did you actually look at

                :set list

                in Vim? You can get help on the topic with

                :help list
                :help listchars

                Please try the other suggestions that were made, as well.

                Text-like-this-is-not-possible,-at-the-moment.-Sorry.---

                Richard

              • Matthew Winn
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 1, 2008
                  On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 15:06:27 -0700, "Steve Hall"
                  <digitect@...> wrote:

                  > This always comes up because Vim can not indicate intermediate spaces
                  > with the 'list' option, the obvious feature to do this since it
                  > already indicates tabs, nbsp, eol, and trailing spaces.
                  >
                  > Is there a purposeful reason for this?

                  I would imagine that the reason Vim doesn't do this is because there's
                  not really much use for it. Trailing spaces can be made visible, but
                  the visibility of space within a line is implied by the characters
                  surrounding it:

                  This line has spaces in it.
                  Thislinedoesn'thavespacesinit.

                  In applications that use proportional fonts it's occasionally useful
                  to make spaces visible because it can often be difficult to see the
                  difference between one space and two, but with a fixed-width font
                  that's trivial. The only possible use for this feature would be if you
                  needed to know exactly how many spaces were in a long gap, but there
                  are easier ways to find that out than making them visible and counting
                  them by eye.

                  What problem is solved by making spaces within a line visible?

                  > I can't name another mature
                  > editor or word processor that with "invisible" character indicators
                  > that omits intermediate spaces.

                  I consider that a misfeature. The only time I've ever made spaces
                  visible in other editors is to look for unwanted trailing spaces, and
                  then the fact that intermediate spaces are also made visible is an
                  unpleasant characteristic of what would otherwise be a useful feature
                  to keep enabled at all times.

                  --
                  Matthew Winn

                • Richard Hartmann
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 1, 2008
                    On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 20:23, Matthew Winn <vim@...> wrote:

                    > Trailing spaces can be made visible, but
                    > the visibility of space within a line is implied by the characters
                    > surrounding it:

                    True.

                    > The only possible use for this feature would be if you
                    > needed to know exactly how many spaces were in a long gap, but there
                    > are easier ways to find that out than making them visible and counting
                    > them by eye.

                    A quick eyballing can be a lot more convenient than actually counting
                    stuff conciously.

                    > What problem is solved by making spaces within a line visible?

                    I think that is the wrong way to ask this question. As the line has
                    to be parsed anyway and all the option handling etc is available
                    via list & listchars anyway, overhead would be minimal.
                    As few/some/many people would find this useful (if only sometimes,
                    as in my case), I don't think there is anything from this being
                    supported.

                    Ultimately, this is up to Bram, of course.

                    Richard

                  • A. S. Budden
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 2, 2008
                      2008/10/1 Matthew Winn <vim@...>:

                      > On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 15:06:27 -0700, "Steve Hall"
                      > <digitect@...> wrote:
                      >
                      >> This always comes up because Vim can not indicate intermediate spaces
                      >> with the 'list' option, the obvious feature to do this since it
                      >> already indicates tabs, nbsp, eol, and trailing spaces.
                      >>
                      >> Is there a purposeful reason for this?
                      >
                      > I would imagine that the reason Vim doesn't do this is because there's
                      > not really much use for it. Trailing spaces can be made visible, but
                      > the visibility of space within a line is implied by the characters
                      > surrounding it:
                      >
                      > This line has spaces in it.
                      > Thislinedoesn'thavespacesinit.
                      >
                      > In applications that use proportional fonts it's occasionally useful
                      > to make spaces visible because it can often be difficult to see the
                      > difference between one space and two, but with a fixed-width font
                      > that's trivial. The only possible use for this feature would be if you
                      > needed to know exactly how many spaces were in a long gap, but there
                      > are easier ways to find that out than making them visible and counting
                      > them by eye.
                      >
                      > What problem is solved by making spaces within a line visible?

                      The only benefit I've ever really gained from having visible spaces is
                      in a couple of slightly obstinate UTF8 files which had several
                      different characters used as spaces (causing some very confusing
                      problems): I ended up opening it up in a different editor that
                      highlighted character 32 as a space and none of the other 'space'
                      characters. I guess I could have solved this in Vim by working out
                      what ALL of the possible 'space-rendered' UTF8 characters were and
                      highlighting them (or just s/x/ /), but it seemed easier to do it the
                      manual way in this case as I didn't know how many different characters
                      there might be.

                      Al

                    • Teemu Likonen
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 2, 2008
                        Richard Hartmann wrote (2008-10-02 00:34 +0300):
                        > On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 20:23, Matthew Winn <vim@...> wrote:
                        >> The only possible use for this feature would be if you needed to know
                        >> exactly how many spaces were in a long gap, but there are easier ways
                        >> to find that out than making them visible and counting them by eye.
                        >
                        > A quick eyballing can be a lot more convenient than actually counting
                        > stuff conciously.

                        Yes, it can be difficult to say User can count spaces
                        with just eyes that this semi-manually of course but
                        paragraph is indented by six it's useful if the tool can
                        spaces. Or that there are five help with formatting issues.
                        spaces between the two columns.

                        Don't hang me but I wrote this message with Emacs (Gnus) using the
                        two-column and text justification features -- spaces shown with the
                        whitespace-mode of course. :-)

                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 2, 2008
                          On 02/10/08 14:37, Teemu Likonen wrote:
                          [...]
                          > Don't hang me but I wrote this message with Emacs (Gnus) using the
                          > two-column and text justification features -- spaces shown with the
                          > whitespace-mode of course. :-)

                          I've often seen people post with Outlook Express in Thunderbird
                          newsgroups, so why couldn't you edit mail with Emacs for posting to the
                          Vim mailing list?

                          194. Your business cards contain your e-mail and home page address.