File Finder

  • 703designs
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 30, 2008
      TextMate, Eclipse, and many other editors have one very nice feature:
      The ability to find any file in a project using just the file name
      (directories are reported in the dialog, but are insignificant).
      TextMate goes a step further, and allows you to almost search for a
      filename because it uses a sort of globbing.

      How could I implement this in Vim for all files in the current
      directory and its descendants? Has anyone done something like this
      already? Calling a tool like "find -f" may or may not work. One key
      feature of this dialog is that the file search updates live. The basic
      search pattern would be *query*, matching the search term at any point
      in the filename.
    • A. S. Budden
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 30, 2008
        2008/9/30 703designs <thomasmallen@...>:

        > TextMate, Eclipse, and many other editors have one very nice feature:
        > The ability to find any file in a project using just the file name
        > (directories are reported in the dialog, but are insignificant).
        > TextMate goes a step further, and allows you to almost search for a
        > filename because it uses a sort of globbing.
        >
        > How could I implement this in Vim for all files in the current
        > directory and its descendants? Has anyone done something like this
        > already? Calling a tool like "find -f" may or may not work. One key
        > feature of this dialog is that the file search updates live. The basic
        > search pattern would be *query*, matching the search term at any point
        > in the filename.

        I'm not sure how you'd implement the dialog, but the search can be
        done with something like:

        let filelist = glob('**/*query*')

        :help glob()
        :help starstar

        Al

      • 703designs
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 30, 2008
          Thanks, this is a start. What are you doing with the "let filelist"
          part of the first line? Because if I just enter the command :glob('**/
          *css*'), Vim returns the error "Nested *, invalid command." I do get
          the feeling that you're wasting your time helping me, because I can't
          VimScript worth a damn.

          On Sep 30, 9:28 am, "A. S. Budden" <abud...@...> wrote:
          > 2008/9/30 703designs <thomasmal...@...>:
          >

          > > TextMate, Eclipse, and many other editors have one very nice feature:
          > > The ability to find any file in a project using just the file name
          > > (directories are reported in the dialog, but are insignificant).
          > > TextMate goes a step further, and allows you to almost search for a
          > > filename because it uses a sort of globbing.
          >
          > > How could I implement this in Vim for all files in the current
          > > directory and its descendants? Has anyone done something like this
          > > already? Calling a tool like "find -f" may or may not work. One key
          > > feature of this dialog is that the file search updates live. The basic
          > > search pattern would be *query*, matching the search term at any point
          > > in the filename.
          >
          > I'm not sure how you'd implement the dialog, but the search can be
          > done with something like:
          >
          > let filelist = glob('**/*query*')
          >
          > :help glob()
          > :help starstar
          >
          > Al
        • Anton Sharonov
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 30, 2008
            Guten Tag 703designs,

            am Dienstag, 30. September 2008 um 15:12 schrieben Sie:

            > TextMate, Eclipse, and many other editors have one very nice feature:
            > The ability to find any file in a project using just the file name
            > (directories are reported in the dialog, but are insignificant).
            > TextMate goes a step further, and allows you to almost search for a
            > filename because it uses a sort of globbing.

            > How could I implement this in Vim for all files in the current
            > directory and its descendants? Has anyone done something like this
            > already? Calling a tool like "find -f" may or may not work. One key
            > feature of this dialog is that the file search updates live. The basic
            > search pattern would be *query*, matching the search term at any point
            > in the filename.

            Not exactly what you want, but just my .02c.

            For java files I do globbing search for them with ctags and :tag
            command, so that to find file MyRedHeringClass.java it is usually
            sufficient to type something like :tag MyR*heri<TAB><CR>

            I'm sure it can be extended to other languages, where class name
            isn't equal file name - I believe that ctags can integrate the
            names of the files just as yet another tags into the generated
            tags database.

            --
            Anton.

          • Thomas Geulig
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 30, 2008
              Maybe the lookupfile-plugin is what you want ...

              Thomas

              > Thanks, this is a start. What are you doing with the "let filelist"
              > part of the first line? Because if I just enter the command :glob('**/
              > *css*'), Vim returns the error "Nested *, invalid command." I do get
              > the feeling that you're wasting your time helping me, because I can't
              > VimScript worth a damn.
              >
              > On Sep 30, 9:28 am, "A. S. Budden" <abud...@...> wrote:
              > > 2008/9/30 703designs <thomasmal...@...>:
              > > > TextMate, Eclipse, and many other editors have one very nice feature:
              > > > The ability to find any file in a project using just the file name
              > > > (directories are reported in the dialog, but are insignificant).
              > > > TextMate goes a step further, and allows you to almost search for a
              > > > filename because it uses a sort of globbing.
              > > >
              > > > How could I implement this in Vim for all files in the current
              > > > directory and its descendants? Has anyone done something like this
              > > > already? Calling a tool like "find -f" may or may not work. One key
              > > > feature of this dialog is that the file search updates live. The basic
              > > > search pattern would be *query*, matching the search term at any point
              > > > in the filename.
              > >
              > > I'm not sure how you'd implement the dialog, but the search can be
              > > done with something like:
              > >
              > > let filelist = glob('**/*query*')
              > >
              > > :help glob()
              > > :help starstar
              > >
              > > Al

            • Charles Campbell
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 30, 2008
                703designs wrote:
                > TextMate, Eclipse, and many other editors have one very nice feature:
                > The ability to find any file in a project using just the file name
                > (directories are reported in the dialog, but are insignificant).
                > TextMate goes a step further, and allows you to almost search for a
                > filename because it uses a sort of globbing.
                >
                > How could I implement this in Vim for all files in the current
                > directory and its descendants? Has anyone done something like this
                > already? Calling a tool like "find -f" may or may not work. One key
                > feature of this dialog is that the file search updates live. The basic
                > search pattern would be *query*, matching the search term at any point
                > in the filename.

                One option is to use netrw:

                :Explore **/filename

                That'll do current directory and subdirectories, and

                :Explore */filename

                will search just the current directory. I suggest using v133 of netrw.

                Regards,
                Chip Campbell

              • Luc Hermitte
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 30, 2008
                  Hello,

                  "703designs" <thomasmallen@...> wrote:

                  > TextMate, Eclipse, and many other editors have one very nice feature:
                  > The ability to find any file in a project using just the file name
                  > (directories are reported in the dialog, but are insignificant).
                  > TextMate goes a step further, and allows you to almost search for a
                  > filename because it uses a sort of globbing.
                  >
                  > How could I implement this in Vim for all files in the current
                  > directory and its descendants? Has anyone done something like this
                  > already?

                  I've listed on searchInRuntime site [1] all other plugins that offer a similar feature.

                  HTH,

                  [1] http://code.google.com/p/lh-vim/wiki/searchInRuntime

                  --
                  Luc Hermitte
                  http://lh-vim.googlecode.com/

                • Luc Hermitte
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 30, 2008
                    "Luc Hermitte" <hermitte@...> wrote:

                    > "703designs" <thomasmallen@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > TextMate, Eclipse, and many other editors have one very nice
                    > > feature:
                    > > The ability to find any file in a project using just the file name
                    > > [...]

                    > I've listed on searchInRuntime site [1] all other plugins that offer a
                    > similar feature.

                    s/all//

                    --
                    Luc Hermitte
                    http://lh-vim.googlecode.com/

                  • A. S. Budden
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 30, 2008
                      2008/9/30 703designs <thomasmallen@...>:

                      > Thanks, this is a start. What are you doing with the "let filelist"
                      > part of the first line? Because if I just enter the command :glob('**/
                      > *css*'), Vim returns the error "Nested *, invalid command." I do get
                      > the feeling that you're wasting your time helping me, because I can't
                      > VimScript worth a damn.

                      The let filelist part assigns the list of files to a variable called
                      "filelist". If you just want to print the names, you can do

                      :echo glob('**/*css*')

                      or:

                      :let filelist = glob('**/*css*')
                      :echo filelist

                      :glob is probably running :global rather than glob() - there is a
                      significant difference between functions (e.g. :global) and commands
                      (e.g. glob()). I'm sure there's a useful help reference for this, but
                      I couldn't find it in a quick search...

                      My guess is that :glob('**/*css*') is trying to run an empty command
                      on all lines that match the regular expression '**/*css*', i.e, all
                      lines that have 0 or more single quotes (except with two stars,
                      causing an error), followed by 0 or more forward slashes, the
                      characters 'cs', zero or more 's' characters and then a single
                      quote.... not quite what you had in mind!

                      Al

                    • 703designs
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 30, 2008
                        Oh, here's one simple answer. I can just use :find **/
                        whateverpathpattern. I'll write a simple wrapper for the find command
                        that always returns **/*query* and map it.

                        I'm not sure how this relates to the earlier glob() example, but
                        thanks!

                        Thomas

                        On Sep 30, 10:09 am, "A. S. Budden" <abud...@...> wrote:
                        > 2008/9/30 703designs <thomasmal...@...>:
                        >

                        > > Thanks, this is a start. What are you doing with the "let filelist"
                        > > part of the first line? Because if I just enter the command :glob('**/
                        > > *css*'), Vim returns the error "Nested *, invalid command." I do get
                        > > the feeling that you're wasting your time helping me, because I can't
                        > > VimScript worth a damn.
                        >
                        > The let filelist part assigns the list of files to a variable called
                        > "filelist".  If you just want to print the names, you can do
                        >
                        > :echo glob('**/*css*')
                        >
                        > or:
                        >
                        > :let filelist = glob('**/*css*')
                        > :echo filelist
                        >
                        > :glob is probably running :global rather than glob() - there is a
                        > significant difference between functions (e.g. :global) and commands
                        > (e.g. glob()).  I'm sure there's a useful help reference for this, but
                        > I couldn't find it in a quick search...
                        >
                        > My guess is that :glob('**/*css*') is trying to run an empty command
                        > on all lines that match the regular expression '**/*css*', i.e, all
                        > lines that have 0 or more single quotes (except with two stars,
                        > causing an error), followed by 0 or more forward slashes, the
                        > characters 'cs', zero or more 's' characters and then a single
                        > quote.... not quite what you had in mind!
                        >
                        > Al
                      • 703designs
                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 30, 2008
                          Ah, went back and read the second reply about glob(), and this command
                          is definitely what I need. I think I can write a good plugin that
                          makes selecting glob() filenames easy. I guess I'll start by breaking
                          down the returned string and passing in the firt file path to :e.

                          On Sep 30, 10:15 am, 703designs <thomasmal...@...> wrote:
                          > Oh, here's one simple answer. I can just use :find **/
                          > whateverpathpattern. I'll write a simple wrapper for the find command
                          > that always returns **/*query* and map it.
                          >
                          > I'm not sure how this relates to the earlier glob() example, but
                          > thanks!
                          >
                          > Thomas
                          >
                          > On Sep 30, 10:09 am, "A. S. Budden" <abud...@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > > 2008/9/30 703designs <thomasmal...@...>:
                          >
                          > > > Thanks, this is a start. What are you doing with the "let filelist"
                          > > > part of the first line? Because if I just enter the command :glob('**/
                          > > > *css*'), Vim returns the error "Nested *, invalid command." I do get
                          > > > the feeling that you're wasting your time helping me, because I can't
                          > > > VimScript worth a damn.
                          >
                          > > The let filelist part assigns the list of files to a variable called
                          > > "filelist".  If you just want to print the names, you can do
                          >
                          > > :echo glob('**/*css*')
                          >
                          > > or:
                          >
                          > > :let filelist = glob('**/*css*')
                          > > :echo filelist
                          >
                          > > :glob is probably running :global rather than glob() - there is a
                          > > significant difference between functions (e.g. :global) and commands
                          > > (e.g. glob()).  I'm sure there's a useful help reference for this, but
                          > > I couldn't find it in a quick search...
                          >
                          > > My guess is that :glob('**/*css*') is trying to run an empty command
                          > > on all lines that match the regular expression '**/*css*', i.e, all
                          > > lines that have 0 or more single quotes (except with two stars,
                          > > causing an error), followed by 0 or more forward slashes, the
                          > > characters 'cs', zero or more 's' characters and then a single
                          > > quote.... not quite what you had in mind!
                          >
                          > > Al

                        • 703designs
                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 30, 2008
                            As far LookupFile, it has a function similar to what I'm planning
                            (LUWalk) but it has a stupid "genutils" dependency and a ton of
                            functionality I don't need, so I don't think I'm really repeating
                            someone else's work.

                            On Sep 30, 10:20 am, 703designs <thomasmal...@...> wrote:
                            > Ah, went back and read the second reply about glob(), and this command
                            > is definitely what I need. I think I can write a good plugin that
                            > makes selecting glob() filenames easy. I guess I'll start by breaking
                            > down the returned string and passing in the firt file path to :e.
                            >
                            > On Sep 30, 10:15 am, 703designs <thomasmal...@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > Oh, here's one simple answer. I can just use :find **/
                            > > whateverpathpattern. I'll write a simple wrapper for the find command
                            > > that always returns **/*query* and map it.
                            >
                            > > I'm not sure how this relates to the earlier glob() example, but
                            > > thanks!
                            >
                            > > Thomas

                            > > > The let filelist part assigns the list of files to a variable called
                            > > > "filelist".  If you just want to print the names, you can do
                            >
                            > > > :echo glob('**/*css*')
                            >
                            > > > or:
                            >
                            > > > :let filelist = glob('**/*css*')
                            > > > :echo filelist
                            >
                            > > > :glob is probably running :global rather than glob() - there is a
                            > > > significant difference between functions (e.g. :global) and commands
                            > > > (e.g. glob()).  I'm sure there's a useful help reference for this, but
                            > > > I couldn't find it in a quick search...
                            >
                            > > > My guess is that :glob('**/*css*') is trying to run an empty command
                            > > > on all lines that match the regular expression '**/*css*', i.e, all
                            > > > lines that have 0 or more single quotes (except with two stars,
                            > > > causing an error), followed by 0 or more forward slashes, the
                            > > > characters 'cs', zero or more 's' characters and then a single
                            > > > quote.... not quite what you had in mind!
                            >
                            > > > Al

                          • Nate-37
                            Message 13 of 15 , Oct 1, 2008
                              >As far LookupFile, it has a function similar to what I'm planning
                              >(LUWalk) but it has a stupid "genutils" dependency and a ton of
                              >functionality I don't need, so I don't think I'm really repeating

                              I recently stumbled upon two viable candidates.
                              1) FuzzyFileFinder
                              2) TSelectFile

                              I'm leaning towards TSelectFile, but I have e-mailed FuzzyFileFinder's
                              author, and
                              he's responded very quickly, and so FuzzyFileFinder appears to be very well
                              supported.

                              I share your enthusiasm for Textmate's way of doing it, which is simple.

                              The common problem with both of these plugins (Fuzzy and TSelect) is that if
                              you open
                              Vim in a giant folder and use the TSelectInSubdirs or FuzzyFinderFile
                              command, you will be
                              globbing all those files.

                              I need to request that the authors create some kind of g:maxFiles variable.
                              However, in looking
                              at the plugins' code, it appears that they both use the Vim scripting
                              language's "glob" function, which doesn't appear to support some kind of
                              max.

                              Please share your solution if you find one.

                              Thanks,
                              --Nate

                              someone else's work.

                              tmallen wrote:

                              > As far LookupFile, it has a function similar to what I'm planning
                              > (LUWalk) but it has a stupid "genutils" dependency and a ton of
                              > functionality I don't need, so I don't think I'm really repeating
                              > someone else's work.
                              >
                              > On Sep 30, 10:20 am, 703designs <thomasmal...@...> wrote:
                              >> Ah, went back and read the second reply about glob(), and this command
                              >> is definitely what I need. I think I can write a good plugin that
                              >> makes selecting glob() filenames easy. I guess I'll start by breaking
                              >> down the returned string and passing in the firt file path to :e.
                              >>
                              >> On Sep 30, 10:15 am, 703designs <thomasmal...@...> wrote:
                              >>
                              >> > Oh, here's one simple answer. I can just use :find **/
                              >> > whateverpathpattern. I'll write a simple wrapper for the find command
                              >> > that always returns **/*query* and map it.
                              >>
                              >> > I'm not sure how this relates to the earlier glob() example, but
                              >> > thanks!
                              >>
                              >> > Thomas

                              >> :glob('**/
                              >> get
                              >> can't

                              >> but

                            • toomln
                              Message 14 of 15 , Oct 1, 2008
                                > I need to request that the authors create some kind of g:maxFiles variable.

                                In the next version of tselectfiles, there will be a
                                tselectfiles_limit variable (the max depth).

                                tselectfiles does this globbing only once. In subsequent uses, the
                                cached value is used (unless the command is called with "!"), which
                                should be faster.

                                In general, I'd suggest to use some kind of manifest/file listing for
                                bigger projects. trag[1] can be used to handle that.

                                [1] http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=2033

                                Message 15 of 15 , Oct 1, 2008
                                  >In the next version of tselectfiles, there will be
                                  > a tselectfiles_limit variable (the max depth).

                                  Very cool!

                                  I will check it out as soon as you release it.

                                  Thanks,
                                  --Nate