Adding HTML tags to text files

  • John Hughes
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 27, 2008
      I am trying to write a few basic commands or scripts to make it easier
      to turn some plain text into simple HTML. Basically, I am trying to
      four things:

      1. Add a generic header and footer to the file.

      2. Add opening and closing paragraph tags to all the paragraphs in a
      selected area.

      3. Add opening and closing tags (such as em tags) to the start and end
      of a selection.

      4. Add opening and closing list item tags to all the paragraphs in a
      selected area and opening and closing ordered/unordered list tags to
      the start and end of that selection.

      I have managed the first of these with:

      :%s#\(\_.\)*#<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://
      www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">\r\r<html>\r\r<head>\r\r<meta http-
      equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">\r
      html>#eg

      However, I am not sure how to achieve the others. I suppose the last
      point is actually just a combination of the previous two. Any help
      would be greatly appreciated.

      Thanks in advance.

      John