VCSCommand and file encoding

  • Dmitry Teslenko
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 19, 2008
      Hello!

      I use latest version of vim to edit files in cp1251 encoding. I use
      following configuration:
      set enc=utf-8
      set fenc=cp1251
      set fencs=usc-bom,utf-8,cp1251

      I'm trying to make use of VCSCommand plugin and suffer some problems
      concerning encoding:
      * VCSDiff command shows something like <e0><a0>.. instead of cyrillic
      letters
      * VCSVimDiff fails with following warning: original file may be lost
      or damaged; don't quit editor until the file is succesfully written!
      in case there's cyrilliyc letters in file

      Does anybody encountered this problem?

      P.S. I know this may be considered OF but this list surely has top % of
      VCSCommand users; and I already know that using native-language in source
      code is bad practice.

      --
      A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
      Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

    • Anton Sharonov
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 19, 2008
        I have surely not recent version of vcscommand, but for me
        VCSVimDiff results are usable (at least for the lines, where
        there is only latin characters used), see attached screenshot.

        suse linux 10.2, vim 7.2 in xterm,
        r !grep Version: ~/.vim/plugin/vcscommand.vim
        " Version: Beta 25

        2008/9/19, Dmitry Teslenko <dteslenko@...>:

        > Hello!
        >
        > I use latest version of vim to edit files in cp1251 encoding. I use
        > following configuration:
        > set enc=utf-8
        > set fenc=cp1251
        > set fencs=usc-bom,utf-8,cp1251
        >
        > I'm trying to make use of VCSCommand plugin and suffer some problems
        > concerning encoding:
        > * VCSDiff command shows something like <e0><a0>.. instead of cyrillic
        > letters
        > * VCSVimDiff fails with following warning: original file may be lost
        > or damaged; don't quit editor until the file is succesfully written!
        > in case there's cyrilliyc letters in file
        >
        > Does anybody encountered this problem?
        >
        > P.S. I know this may be considered OF but this list surely has top % of
        > VCSCommand users; and I already know that using native-language in source
        > code is bad practice.
        >
        > --
        > A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
        > Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
        > A: Top-posting.

      • Bob Hiestand
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 26, 2008
          On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 2:47 AM, Dmitry Teslenko <dteslenko@...> wrote:

          > Hello!
          >
          > I use latest version of vim to edit files in cp1251 encoding. I use
          > following configuration:
          > set enc=utf-8
          > set fenc=cp1251
          > set fencs=usc-bom,utf-8,cp1251
          >
          > I'm trying to make use of VCSCommand plugin and suffer some problems
          > concerning encoding:
          > * VCSDiff command shows something like <e0><a0>.. instead of cyrillic
          > letters
          > * VCSVimDiff fails with following warning: original file may be lost
          > or damaged; don't quit editor until the file is succesfully written!
          > in case there's cyrilliyc letters in file

          If you have some example files, I'd appreciate it if you mailed them to me.

          What VCS are you using? What is your environment, specifically your
          default locale (outside of VIM, where the VCS tools execute)?

          Thank you,

          bob

        • Dmitry Teslenko
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 2, 2008
            On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 20:33, Bob Hiestand <bob.hiestand@...> wrote:
            > On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 2:47 AM, Dmitry Teslenko <dteslenko@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> Hello!
            >>
            >> I use latest version of vim to edit files in cp1251 encoding. I use
            >> following configuration:
            >> set enc=utf-8
            >> set fenc=cp1251
            >> set fencs=usc-bom,utf-8,cp1251
            >>
            >> I'm trying to make use of VCSCommand plugin and suffer some problems
            >> concerning encoding:
            >> * VCSDiff command shows something like <e0><a0>.. instead of cyrillic
            >> letters
            >> * VCSVimDiff fails with following warning: original file may be lost
            >> or damaged; don't quit editor until the file is succesfully written!
            >> in case there's cyrilliyc letters in file
            >
            > If you have some example files, I'd appreciate it if you mailed them to me.
            >
            > What VCS are you using? What is your environment, specifically your
            > default locale (outside of VIM, where the VCS tools execute)?

            Every file with cyrillic symbols in cp1251 encoding would be an example:
            ========
            words in english
            текст по-русски
            ========
            Copy text between === in Vim , set fenc=cp1251 and write file.

            I'm using VCS 26 beta; My environment is a WinXP, it's localized
            russain version of operation system.

            --
            A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
            Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 2, 2008
              On 02/10/08 11:34, Dmitry Teslenko wrote:
              > On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 20:33, Bob Hiestand<bob.hiestand@...> wrote:
              >> On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 2:47 AM, Dmitry Teslenko<dteslenko@...> wrote:
              >>> Hello!
              >>>
              >>> I use latest version of vim to edit files in cp1251 encoding. I use
              >>> following configuration:
              >>> set enc=utf-8
              >>> set fenc=cp1251
              >>> set fencs=usc-bom,utf-8,cp1251

              s/usc/ucs/

              >>> I'm trying to make use of VCSCommand plugin and suffer some problems
              >>> concerning encoding:
              >>> * VCSDiff command shows something like<e0><a0>.. instead of cyrillic
              >>> letters
              >>> * VCSVimDiff fails with following warning: original file may be lost
              >>> or damaged; don't quit editor until the file is succesfully written!
              >>> in case there's cyrilliyc letters in file
              >> If you have some example files, I'd appreciate it if you mailed them to me.
              >>
              >> What VCS are you using? What is your environment, specifically your
              >> default locale (outside of VIM, where the VCS tools execute)?
              >
              > Every file with cyrillic symbols in cp1251 encoding would be an example:
              > ========
              > words in english
              > текст по-русски
              > ========
              > Copy text between === in Vim , set fenc=cp1251 and write file.
              >
              > I'm using VCS 26 beta; My environment is a WinXP, it's localized
              > russain version of operation system.

              Just as most issues are seldom black or white, so are most good
              solutions seldom black or white. Beware of the solution that requires
              one side to be totally the loser and the other side to be totally the
              winner. The reason there are two sides to begin with usually is
              because neither side has all the facts. Therefore, when the wise
              mediator effects a compromise, he is not acting from political
              motivation. Rather, he is acting from a deep sense of respect for the
              whole truth.
              -- Stephen R. Schwambach

            • Dmitry Teslenko
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 2, 2008
                On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 16:36, Tony Mechelynck
                <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:

                > On 02/10/08 11:34, Dmitry Teslenko wrote:

                > s/usc/ucs/

                Don't understand it. Can you comment, please?

                --
                A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
                Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

              • Anton Sharonov
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 2, 2008
                  Tony just have meant, you should replace all occurances of "usc" via
                  "ucs" in your settings. It is frequent unix'ism, for example, try this
                  on any unix machine (cygwin environment on windows may also be
                  sufficient):

                  echo 'set fencs=usc-bom,utf-8,cp1251' | sed s/usc/ucs/

                  Anton.

                  2008/10/2, Dmitry Teslenko <dteslenko@...>:

                  > On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 16:36, Tony Mechelynck
                  > <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
                  >>
                  >> On 02/10/08 11:34, Dmitry Teslenko wrote:

                  >> s/usc/ucs/
                  >
                  > Don't understand it. Can you comment, please?
                  >
                  > --
                  > A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
                  > Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
                  > A: Top-posting.

                • Dmitry Teslenko
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 17, 2008
                    On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 21:11, Anton Sharonov <anton.sharonov@...> wrote:

                    > Tony just have meant, you should replace all occurances of "usc" via
                    > "ucs" in your settings. It is frequent unix'ism, for example, try this
                    > on any unix machine (cygwin environment on windows may also be
                    > sufficient):
                    >
                    > echo 'set fencs=usc-bom,utf-8,cp1251' | sed s/usc/ucs/
                    >
                    > Anton.
                    >
                    > 2008/10/2, Dmitry Teslenko <dteslenko@...>:
                    >>
                    >> On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 16:36, Tony Mechelynck
                    >> <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:

                    >>> s/usc/ucs/
                    >>
                    >> Don't understand it. Can you comment, please?
                    It was a typo. I got it. Thanks. However, it doesn't affect problem
                    this topis is about.

                    --
                    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
                    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?