Re: Solved: Display Euro character in gvim 7.2

  • Mike Williams
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 8, 2008
      On 06/09/2008 15:28, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
      >>> The last comment should not be true. CP1252 encodes euro at 0x80,
      >>> while Latin9 encodes euro at 0xA4.
      >>> Wu Yongwei
      >> Hi Wu,
      >>
      >> Sorry, my fault. What I meant was that latin1 and cp1252 seems to use the same code.
      >>
      >> Best regards
      >> Peter
      >
      > If they do, it's only because Windows abusively uses Latin1 as an alias
      > for Windows-1252. Actually they differ in the range 0x80-0x9F, which are
      > control characters in Latin1, Latin9 and Unicode, and the same ones in
      > all three (e.g. 0x80 is <control> but not otherwise specified AFAIK) but
      > most of which are printable in Windows-1252 (e.g., cp1252 0x80 = U+20AC
      > EURO SIGN).

      When in doubt - Google (well almost always ;-))

      http://www.microsoft.com/typography/EuroSymbolFAQ.mspx

      Blatantly copied for those who are impatient:

      Q. What is the symbol's Windows codepage location?
      A. The symbol has been added to the following codepages at position
      '0x80': 1250 Eastern European, 1252 Western, 1253 Greek, 1254 Turkish,
      1257 Baltic, 1255 Hebrew, 1256 Arabic, 1258 Vietnamese, 874 Thai. In
      1251 Cyrillic, the symbol will be added at position '0x88'. Other
      codepages are controlled by governments or standards bodies. Microsoft
      is working with these organizations on the placement of the euro.

      Mike
      --
      Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some hire PR officers.