Re: Restore screen size and position

  • Ben Schmidt
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 2, 2008
      Benjamin Fritz wrote:
      > On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 3:43 AM, Gary Johnson <garyjohn@...> wrote:
      >> While it may be true that anyone _could_ create this stuff, only a
      >> few people actually _did_. Some tips may not require genius to
      >> think up, but they require time and work to publish. I think people
      >> should be given credit for their work.
      >>

      > Hence, the 'author' field. But crediting every contributor would very
      > rapidly get out of hand on a wiki, and sort of discourages annonymous
      > edits.

      To me having an author attribution that is *wrong* is infinitely worse
      than not having one, and there already seem to be a lot of tips in this
      category due to that author field. I wouldn't really want my name beside
      something that someone else had edited without my approval, and it seems
      ridiculous adding my name to a comment whenever I make a small change as
      I really don't deserve the credit. If the time and work taken to publish
      is significant, it should probably be a script/plugin on vim.org
      (perhaps with a link from the wiki on a 'useful plugins' page or
      something) and not a tip.

      Just another few cents.

      Smiles,

      Ben.

      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 2, 2008
        On 02/09/08 14:29, Ben Schmidt wrote:
        > Benjamin Fritz wrote:
        >> On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 3:43 AM, Gary Johnson<garyjohn@...> wrote:
        >>> While it may be true that anyone _could_ create this stuff, only a
        >>> few people actually _did_. Some tips may not require genius to
        >>> think up, but they require time and work to publish. I think people
        >>> should be given credit for their work.
        >>>
        >> Hence, the 'author' field. But crediting every contributor would very
        >> rapidly get out of hand on a wiki, and sort of discourages annonymous
        >> edits.
        >
        > To me having an author attribution that is *wrong* is infinitely worse
        > than not having one, and there already seem to be a lot of tips in this
        > category due to that author field. I wouldn't really want my name beside
        > something that someone else had edited without my approval, and it seems
        > ridiculous adding my name to a comment whenever I make a small change as
        > I really don't deserve the credit. If the time and work taken to publish
        > is significant, it should probably be a script/plugin on vim.org
        > (perhaps with a link from the wiki on a 'useful plugins' page or
        > something) and not a tip.
        >
        > Just another few cents.
        >
        > Smiles,
        >
        > Ben.

        If you watch the pages you create, you can be notified by email of any
        changes to any of them. Then, if some vandal messes up your prose, you
        can quickly intervene and restore the former version. OTOH, if someone
        corrects a typo which you ought never to have done, you don't need to do
        anything beyond checking that the change is for the better.

        "Every morning, I get up and look through the 'Forbes' list of the
        richest people in America. If I'm not there, I go to work"
        -- Robert Orben

      • John Beckett
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 2, 2008
          Ben Schmidt wrote:
          > To me having an author attribution that is *wrong* is
          > infinitely worse than not having one

          We kept the author field to acknowledge the person who first went to the trouble of
          proposing a solution to some issue. Perhaps a better word than "author" could be
          used because there are now probably less than 50 tips where the "author" really is
          the author.

          Some recent remarks on the wiki, mainly from you I think, have started me wondering
          about the author policy, particularly since there are lots of tips which have been
          changed beyond all recognition.

          I've now blanked the author and rating (karma) on a couple of drastically changed
          tips, and I intend changing the template to omit the author/karma fields if blank,
          and I'll blank the "Anon" authors so they will disappear.

          For people worried about a lack of credits, I again recommend browsing one of many
          astounding wiki pages with no attributions:
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNA

          John

        • Ben Schmidt
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 3, 2008
            John Beckett wrote:
            > Ben Schmidt wrote:
            >> To me having an author attribution that is *wrong* is
            >> infinitely worse than not having one
            >
            > We kept the author field to acknowledge the person who first went to the trouble of
            > proposing a solution to some issue. Perhaps a better word than "author" could be
            > used because there are now probably less than 50 tips where the "author" really is
            > the author.
            >
            > Some recent remarks on the wiki, mainly from you I think, have started me wondering
            > about the author policy, particularly since there are lots of tips which have been
            > changed beyond all recognition.
            >
            > I've now blanked the author and rating (karma) on a couple of drastically changed
            > tips, and I intend changing the template to omit the author/karma fields if blank,
            > and I'll blank the "Anon" authors so they will disappear.

            Perhaps a simple list of contributors that make a small print footer to
            each tip would be a good compromise. I still suspect it would very
            quickly get out of whack, though, unless the Wiki automatically updated
            it (can it do that, 'cause that'd be awesome compared to manually
            updating!). Even so, 'contributors', particularly in the plural, doesn't
            imply ownership or responsibility like 'author' does.

            And, yeah, that karma thing is a load of...I'd vote for getting rid of
            all of them; they pretty much mean nothing in my experience, and the
            Wiki has its own rating thingo if we want to use it.

            But then, I'd get rid of the tip IDs too, and I know we differ in
            opinion on that.

            Grins,

            Ben.

          • John Beckett
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 3, 2008
              Ben Schmidt wrote:
              > Perhaps a simple list of contributors that make a small print
              > footer to each tip would be a good compromise.

              I wouldn't give much priority to adding high-maintenance text to tips, particularly
              with no evidence that such text would benefit the tip. However, others may like to
              experiment: Make a contribution to a tip, then add a list of contributors to the
              bottom.

              > And, yeah, that karma thing is a load of...I'd vote for
              > getting rid of all of them

              I didn't want the karma originally, but others thought it added some excitement. In
              particular, bastl did not want to omit material while importing from vim.org. He
              realised that while it could easily be removed later, it would be harder to add it.

              A recent contributor looked for some ways of updating the karma on the wiki.
              However, that's not going to happen, so karma is static and not helpful.

              Any chance of you joining the vim-l mailing list (extremely low volume), then
              posting a suggestion to remove the karma? I would join in with an agreement. I don't
              think we'd get much objection, then I could remove it. The link to vim-l is on your
              talk page (for example, on one of the "new tip" pages, you could click your name,
              then click "discussion").

              > But then, I'd get rid of the tip IDs too, and I know we
              > differ in opinion on that.

              I like the IDs mainly because they help me during maintenance. In due course, when
              it's not so easy to make a list of broken tips, I'm happy to try removing the IDs.
              Meanwhile, I could try making the header stuff smaller if that would help (see
              bottom of http://vim.wikia.com/index.php?title=Highlight_long_lines&oldid=19524).

              John