Small "Bugfix" in Vim Help

  • A. S. Budden
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2008
      File: eval.txt
      Line: 3302 (assuming I've got the latest version)

      input() needs to be surrounded by vertical bars as pressing ctrl-] on
      it produces the error:

      E149: Sorry, no help for input(),

      (the trailing comma is being included)

      vertical bars will fix this problem.

      There appear to be a few other examples like this, so perhaps a

      :%s/\<\w\+()\ze,/|\0|/gc

      would help?

      Hope that helps,

      Al

      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1, 2008
        On 01/09/08 19:35, A. S. Budden wrote:
        > File: eval.txt
        > Line: 3302 (assuming I've got the latest version)

        You don't. Herer's the first line of the latest version:

        *eval.txt* For Vim version 7.2. Last change: 2008 Aug 09

        > input() needs to be surrounded by vertical bars as pressing ctrl-] on
        > it produces the error:
        >
        > E149: Sorry, no help for input(),
        >
        > (the trailing comma is being included)
        >
        > vertical bars will fix this problem.
        >
        > There appear to be a few other examples like this, so perhaps a
        >
        > :%s/\<\w\+()\ze,/|\0|/gc
        >
        > would help?
        >
        > Hope that helps,
        >
        > Al

        I find your example near the top of the help for inputdialog() -- i.e.,
        at line 3545 in my version.

        Runtime files are usually not included in the source patches, you need
        to update them separately. You may sync yours with the contents of
        ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/runtime/ except its "dos" subdirectory, or
        (more economical) use rsync as follows, in your vim72 directory tree
        "for building", which contains subdirs "runtime", "src", etc., _not_
        directly in $VIM or $VIMRUNTIME. I use the following script, but the
        important line is the long one starting "rsync" and ending "rsync.log".
        (The last line is to remove from the log the "temporary" progress lines
        which were overwritten without going to the next line.)

        #!/bin/bash
        date
        rsync -avzcP --delete --exclude="/dos/" ftp.nluug.nl::Vim/runtime/
        ./runtime/ 2>&1 | tee rsync.log
        vim -es -u NONE -c '%s/^.*\r//' -cx rsync.log

        Life is a whim of several billion cells to be you for a while.

      • John Little
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 1, 2008
          On Sep 2, 6:19 am, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechely...@...>
          wrote:

          > rsync -avzcP --delete --exclude="/dos/" ftp.nluug.nl::Vim/runtime/ ./runtime/ 2>&1 | tee rsync.log

          Tony, that rsync pulls down about 180 MB of spell files, and we're not
          all linguists like you. I'm thinking of someone with a slow
          connection or a low data allowance.

          Regards, John
        • sc
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 1, 2008
            On Monday 01 September 2008 21:07, John Little wrote:

            > On Sep 2, 6:19 am, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechely...@...>
            > wrote:
            >
            > > rsync -avzcP --delete --exclude="/dos/" ftp.nluug.nl::Vim/runtime/ ./runtime/ 2>&1 | tee rsync.log
            >
            > Tony, that rsync pulls down about 180 MB of spell files, and we're not
            > all linguists like you. I'm thinking of someone with a slow
            > connection or a low data allowance.

            that person would probably add --exclude="spell" to his rsync command

            sc

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 2, 2008
              On 02/09/08 04:07, John Little wrote:

              > On Sep 2, 6:19 am, Tony Mechelynck<antoine.mechely...@...>
              > wrote:
              >
              >> rsync -avzcP --delete --exclude="/dos/" ftp.nluug.nl::Vim/runtime/ ./runtime/ 2>&1 | tee rsync.log
              >
              > Tony, that rsync pulls down about 180 MB of spell files, and we're not
              > all linguists like you. I'm thinking of someone with a slow
              > connection or a low data allowance.
              >
              > Regards, John

              This rsync line assumes that you've downloaded the sources for the
              latest version and unpacked them on your computer, as described on my
              HowTo pages. Then when you run rsync, it transfers only the differences
              (after checking what is different, of course), and (when, like here, the
              -z switch is used) it uses data compression on the connection. My latest
              rsync run sent 100 bytes and received 68K to determine that nothing had
              to be changed.

              156. You forget your friend's name but not her e-mail address.

            • John Little
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 2, 2008
                On Sep 2, 9:25 pm, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechely...@...>
                wrote:

                > This rsync line assumes that you've downloaded the sources for the
                > latest version and unpacked them on your computer, as described on my
                > HowTo pages. Then when you run rsync, it transfers only the differences
                > (after checking what is different, of course),

                Yes, but my point is that the normal download and unpack does not get
                all the spell files. Thank you, sc, I'll use --exclude="spell" the
                next time I get a full vim version.

                Regards, John
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 2, 2008
                  On 03/09/08 01:36, John Little wrote:
                  > On Sep 2, 9:25 pm, Tony Mechelynck<antoine.mechely...@...>
                  > wrote:
                  >
                  >> This rsync line assumes that you've downloaded the sources for the
                  >> latest version and unpacked them on your computer, as described on my
                  >> HowTo pages. Then when you run rsync, it transfers only the differences
                  >> (after checking what is different, of course),
                  >
                  > Yes, but my point is that the normal download and unpack does not get
                  > all the spell files. Thank you, sc, I'll use --exclude="spell" the
                  > next time I get a full vim version.
                  >
                  > Regards, John

                  OK. I always recommended to download all three archives anyway. If you
                  get more "mileage" ;-) in the above fashion, why not?

                  We don't know who discovered water, but we're certain it wasn't a
                  fish.

                • Bram Moolenaar
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 3, 2008
                    Al Budden wrote:

                    > File: eval.txt
                    > Line: 3302 (assuming I've got the latest version)
                    >
                    > input() needs to be surrounded by vertical bars as pressing ctrl-] on
                    > it produces the error:
                    >
                    > E149: Sorry, no help for input(),
                    >
                    > (the trailing comma is being included)
                    >
                    > vertical bars will fix this problem.
                    >
                    > There appear to be a few other examples like this, so perhaps a

                    > would help?
                    >
                    > Hope that helps,

                    Thanks. I have changed this one and a few more.

                    --
                    In many of the more relaxed civilizations on the Outer Eastern Rim of the
                    Galaxy, "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" has already supplanted the