Wrapping lines when printing

  • Benjamin Fritz
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2008
      Is it possible to have Vim wrap lines when using :hardcopy, and
      respect the 'linebreak' option (or similar?).

      I know about :set printoptions+=wrap:y, but this wraps character-wise,
      not word-wise, which is fairly useless IMO.

    • Benjamin Fritz
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 7, 2008
        On 7/1/08, Benjamin Fritz <fritzophrenic@...> wrote:
        > Is it possible to have Vim wrap lines when using :hardcopy, and
        > respect the 'linebreak' option (or similar?).
        >
        > I know about :set printoptions+=wrap:y, but this wraps character-wise,
        > not word-wise, which is fairly useless IMO.

        So, nobody knows how to wrap lines at word boundaries when printing?

      • Mike Williams
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 7, 2008
          On 07/07/2008 16:56, Benjamin Fritz wrote:
          > On 7/1/08, Benjamin Fritz <fritzophrenic@...> wrote:
          >> Is it possible to have Vim wrap lines when using :hardcopy, and
          >> respect the 'linebreak' option (or similar?).
          >>
          >> I know about :set printoptions+=wrap:y, but this wraps character-wise,
          >> not word-wise, which is fairly useless IMO.
          >>

          > So, nobody knows how to wrap lines at word boundaries when printing?

          It is not currently supported functionality.

          TTFN

          Mike
          --
          What axe are you grinding?

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 7, 2008
            On 07/07/08 17:56, Benjamin Fritz wrote:
            > On 7/1/08, Benjamin Fritz<fritzophrenic@...> wrote:
            >> Is it possible to have Vim wrap lines when using :hardcopy, and
            >> respect the 'linebreak' option (or similar?).
            >>
            >> I know about :set printoptions+=wrap:y, but this wraps character-wise,
            >> not word-wise, which is fairly useless IMO.
            >>

            > So, nobody knows how to wrap lines at word boundaries when printing?

            I suppose you can reformat the text (setting 'textwidth' to 60 or 80
            then using the Normal command gggqG or some such) before you print;
            then, if you don't want the linebreaks in your disk file, "undo" the
            reformat before you do anything else.

            "Microwave oven? Whaddya mean, it's a microwave oven? I've been
            watching Channel 4 on the thing for two weeks."