Re: refactor.vim - Keys to activate plugin?

  • leeand00
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
      Well I tried the following modes:
      - Visual (selecting the code to be refactored before pressing the keys)
      - Insert (selecting the code to be refactored before pressing the keys)
      - Normal (can't select the code to be refactored before pressing the keys)

      When I do this in windows all the winds up happening is I get a funny
      character printed (which replaces the text I had selected), followed by a
      selection of the Edit menu. (yeah it's GVIM)

      Thank you,
      Andrew J. Leer

      Gary Johnson wrote:

      >> > Exctract

      >> > results.
      >> >
      >> > Nope, I'd read that as being

      >> > ie, let go of the <alt> key between the 'r' and 'e'.
      >
      >> All that happens when I do that is I get a whole bunch of "ò" characters
      >
      > That's what you should get from typing Alt-r, but only if you're in
      > insert mode. The mapping
      >
      > map <A-r>e : callExtractMethod()<ENTER>
      >
      > works in normal mode, not in insert mode. Which mode are you in
      > when you try to invoke the Extract command by typing Alt-r?
      >
      > Regards,
      > Gary

    • Benjamin Fritz
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
        On 7/1/08, leeand00 <leeand00@...> wrote:

        > Well I tried the following modes:
        > - Visual (selecting the code to be refactored before pressing the keys)
        > - Insert (selecting the code to be refactored before pressing the keys)
        > - Normal (can't select the code to be refactored before pressing the keys)
        >
        > When I do this in windows all the winds up happening is I get a funny
        > character printed (which replaces the text I had selected), followed by a
        > selection of the Edit menu. (yeah it's GVIM)

        Oh, yuck!

        I had trouble with this sort of thing, once.

        See :help 'winaltkeys'

        Yours may be set to 'yes'. It is certainly set at least to 'menu'. I
        have mine set to 'no'...I rarely ever use the menus, and they are slow
        enough to use already that a mouse doesn't really slow me down very
        much.

        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 2, 2008
          I ran the command:

          Myself in Vim Status Bar wrote:

          > :simalt no

          and I get the error:

          Vim Status Bar wrote:

          > E21: Cannot make changes, 'modifiable' is off.

          What is that about?

          Benjamin Fritz wrote:

          > On 7/1/08, leeand00 <leeand00@...> wrote:
          >>

          >> Well I tried the following modes:
          >> - Visual (selecting the code to be refactored before pressing the keys)
          >> - Insert (selecting the code to be refactored before pressing the keys)
          >> - Normal (can't select the code to be refactored before pressing the
          >> keys)
          >>
          >> When I do this in windows all the winds up happening is I get a funny
          >> character printed (which replaces the text I had selected), followed by
          >> selection of the Edit menu. (yeah it's GVIM)
          >>

          > Oh, yuck!
          >
          > I had trouble with this sort of thing, once.
          >
          > See :help 'winaltkeys'
          >
          > Yours may be set to 'yes'. It is certainly set at least to 'menu'. I
          > have mine set to 'no'...I rarely ever use the menus, and they are slow
          > enough to use already that a mouse doesn't really slow me down very
          > much.

        • leeand00
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 2, 2008
            Okay so I couldn't get that working, but I figured out that if I select the
            code to refactor using visual mode, and then type

            > :call ExtractMethod() <ENTER>

            I can successfully extract the method from the code provided I keep every
            line of the function on the same line.