refactor.vim - Keys to activate plugin?

  • leeand00
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 30, 2008
      I installed the refactor plugin:

      by dropping it into the C:\Program files\vim\vim71\plugins directory.

      It says in the documentation that I should press <A-r>e to call the Exctract
      method function of the plugin.

      I assumed this to be Alt+r+e but that doesn't seem to yield any results.

      What keys should I press?

      Thank you,
      Andrew J. Leer

    • Benjamin Fritz
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 30, 2008
        On 6/30/08, leeand00 <leeand00@...> wrote:

        > I installed the refactor plugin:
        >
        > by dropping it into the C:\Program files\vim\vim71\plugins directory.
        >
        > It says in the documentation that I should press <A-r>e to call the Exctract
        > method function of the plugin.
        >
        > I assumed this to be Alt+r+e but that doesn't seem to yield any results.
        >
        > What keys should I press?
        >
        > Thank you,
        > Andrew J. Leer

        Try Alt+r, followed by e.

        Also check to see if the author gave you any assignable mappings (look
        at the plugin file to see if there are any <plug> mappings) that you
        can map a new key to instead of <a-r>e...I know I'd find a 3-key
        mapping like that to be a bit inconvenient!

      • Gene Kwiecinski
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 30, 2008
          >It says in the documentation that I should press <A-r>e to call the
          Exctract

          >I assumed this to be Alt+r+e but that doesn't seem to yield any
          results.

          Nope, I'd read that as being

          ie, let go of the <alt> key between the 'r' and 'e'.

        • leeand00
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 30, 2008
            I can't find any <plug> statements in the plugin, but there is
            a statement like:

            refactor.vim wrote:

            > map <A-r>e : callExtractMethod()<ENTER>

            I don't think an ALT shortcut would work on my box anyway since it's a
            windose machine.

            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 30, 2008
              All that happens when I do that is I get a whole bunch of "ò" characters

              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 30, 2008
                On 30/06/08 22:51, leeand00 wrote:

                > I can't find any<plug> statements in the plugin, but there is
                > a statement like:
                >

                > refactor.vim wrote:
                >> map<A-r>e : callExtractMethod()<ENTER>
                >>

                > I don't think an ALT shortcut would work on my box anyway since it's a
                > windose machine.

                On Windows, Alt is usually just left of the space bar. Once you find it,
                try the following:

                1. Press and hold Alt
                2. Press and release r
                3. Release Alt
                4. Press and release e

                and see what happens.

                34. You laugh at people with 14400 baud modems.

              • Gary Johnson
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 30, 2008
                  On 2008-06-30, leeand00 <leeand00@...> wrote:

                  > Gene Kwiecinski wrote:
                  > >

                  > >>It says in the documentation that I should press <A-r>e to call the
                  > > Exctract
                  > >
                  > >>I assumed this to be Alt+r+e but that doesn't seem to yield any
                  > > results.
                  > >
                  > > Nope, I'd read that as being

                  > > ie, let go of the <alt> key between the 'r' and 'e'.

                  > All that happens when I do that is I get a whole bunch of "ò" characters

                  That's what you should get from typing Alt-r, but only if you're in
                  insert mode. The mapping

                  map <A-r>e : callExtractMethod()<ENTER>

                  works in normal mode, not in insert mode. Which mode are you in
                  when you try to invoke the Extract command by typing Alt-r?

                  Regards,
                  Gary

                • leeand00
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
                    Well I tried the following modes:
                    - Visual (selecting the code to be refactored before pressing the keys)
                    - Insert (selecting the code to be refactored before pressing the keys)
                    - Normal (can't select the code to be refactored before pressing the keys)

                    When I do this in windows all the winds up happening is I get a funny
                    character printed (which replaces the text I had selected), followed by a
                    selection of the Edit menu. (yeah it's GVIM)

                    Thank you,
                    Andrew J. Leer

                    Gary Johnson wrote:

                    >> > Exctract

                    >> > results.
                    >> >
                    >> > Nope, I'd read that as being

                    >> > ie, let go of the <alt> key between the 'r' and 'e'.
                    >
                    >> All that happens when I do that is I get a whole bunch of "ò" characters
                    >
                    > That's what you should get from typing Alt-r, but only if you're in
                    > insert mode. The mapping
                    >
                    > map <A-r>e : callExtractMethod()<ENTER>
                    >
                    > works in normal mode, not in insert mode. Which mode are you in
                    > when you try to invoke the Extract command by typing Alt-r?
                    >
                    > Regards,
                    > Gary

                  • Benjamin Fritz
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
                      On 7/1/08, leeand00 <leeand00@...> wrote:

                      > Well I tried the following modes:
                      > - Visual (selecting the code to be refactored before pressing the keys)
                      > - Insert (selecting the code to be refactored before pressing the keys)
                      > - Normal (can't select the code to be refactored before pressing the keys)
                      >
                      > When I do this in windows all the winds up happening is I get a funny
                      > character printed (which replaces the text I had selected), followed by a
                      > selection of the Edit menu. (yeah it's GVIM)

                      Oh, yuck!

                      I had trouble with this sort of thing, once.

                      See :help 'winaltkeys'

                      Yours may be set to 'yes'. It is certainly set at least to 'menu'. I
                      have mine set to 'no'...I rarely ever use the menus, and they are slow
                      enough to use already that a mouse doesn't really slow me down very
                      much.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 2, 2008
                        I ran the command:

                        Myself in Vim Status Bar wrote:

                        > :simalt no

                        and I get the error:

                        Vim Status Bar wrote:

                        > E21: Cannot make changes, 'modifiable' is off.

                        What is that about?

                        Benjamin Fritz wrote:

                        > On 7/1/08, leeand00 <leeand00@...> wrote:
                        >>

                        >> Well I tried the following modes:
                        >> - Visual (selecting the code to be refactored before pressing the keys)
                        >> - Insert (selecting the code to be refactored before pressing the keys)
                        >> - Normal (can't select the code to be refactored before pressing the
                        >> keys)
                        >>
                        >> When I do this in windows all the winds up happening is I get a funny
                        >> character printed (which replaces the text I had selected), followed by
                        >> selection of the Edit menu. (yeah it's GVIM)
                        >>

                        > Oh, yuck!
                        >
                        > I had trouble with this sort of thing, once.
                        >
                        > See :help 'winaltkeys'
                        >
                        > Yours may be set to 'yes'. It is certainly set at least to 'menu'. I
                        > have mine set to 'no'...I rarely ever use the menus, and they are slow
                        > enough to use already that a mouse doesn't really slow me down very
                        > much.

                      • leeand00
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 2, 2008
                          Okay so I couldn't get that working, but I figured out that if I select the
                          code to refactor using visual mode, and then type

                          > :call ExtractMethod() <ENTER>

                          I can successfully extract the method from the code provided I keep every
                          line of the function on the same line.