Re: Tracking down rogue plugins

  • David Fishburn
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 30, 2008
      Well, I found the problem, but I am not certain if this is expected
      behaviour or not.

      For years I have been using the following start line (for p4 submit):
      set P4EDITOR=gvim.exe "+if search('<enter') |silent! exe 'norm!
      C'|silent! exec 'startinsert' |endif"

      But recently (somewhere in a Vim 7.1 patch or plugin update) this began failing.
      p4 submit ...

      gvim pops up with this error:
      Error detected while processing command line:
      E15: Invalid expression:
      E15: Invalid expression:

      But the interesting part is the buffers loaded:
      :ls!
      1 %a "exe" line 1
      2 "'norm!" line 0
      3 "exec" line 0
      4 "'startinsert'" line 0
      5 "\WINDOWS\Temp\t25984t76.tmp" line 0

      :ver
      VIM - Vi IMproved 7.2a BETA (2008 Jun 24, compiled Jun 26 2008 08:55:34)
      MS-Windows 32-bit GUI version with OLE support
      Compiled by fishburn@FISHBURN-D830

      Now, if I change my start command to (removed the + and added the -c):
      set
      P4EDITOR=gvim.exe -c "if search('<enter') |silent! exe 'norm!
      C'|silent! exec 'startinsert' |endif"

      Things work as I expect, no error and the buffers are:
      :ls!
      1 %a + "t25316t67.tmp" line 24

      So, wondering if this was a regression? Just got lucky in the first place?

      Problem solved anyway.
      Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

      Dave