"preview" in 'completeopt' option not working

  • Benjamin Fritz
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 20, 2008
      I can't seem to get "preview" to work in completeopt. Is there
      anything special I need to do to get it working? I'm using gvim
      7.1.315 on MS Windows (I grabbed it from the Cream sourceforge page).

      If I do:

      gvim -N -u NONE -i NONE

      I verify:
      set completeopt?
      gives
      "menu,preview"

      I then open a C file for which there is a tags file in the 'tags'
      path, but neither <C-X><C-]> nor <C-N> brings up any preview window,
      even when I select things in the menu with <C-N> or with the arrow
      keys. Pressing <C-Y> or <CR> to accept the selected match doesn't do
      anything either. Am I doing something wrong?

    • fritzophrenic
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 26, 2008
        On Jun 20, 9:15 am, "Benjamin Fritz" <fritzophre...@...> wrote:
        > I can't seem to get "preview" to work in completeopt. Is there
        > anything special I need to do to get it working? I'm using gvim
        > 7.1.315 on MS Windows (I grabbed it from the Cream sourceforge page).
        >
        > If I do:
        >
        > gvim -N -u NONE -i NONE
        >
        > I verify:
        > set completeopt?
        > gives
        > "menu,preview"
        >
        > I then open a C file for which there is a tags file in the 'tags'
        > path, but neither <C-X><C-]> nor <C-N> brings up any preview window,
        > even when I select things in the menu with <C-N> or with the arrow
        > keys. Pressing <C-Y> or <CR> to accept the selected match doesn't do
        > anything either. Am I doing something wrong?

        Anyone have any suggestions for this/seen this behavior before?

        I know I've been able to see the preview window before from the
        completion menu, but I can't seem to get it working now.
      • Erik Falor
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 26, 2008
          On 6/26/08, fritzophrenic <fritzophrenic@...> wrote:

          On Jun 20, 9:15 am, "Benjamin Fritz" <fritzophre...@...> wrote:
          > I can't seem to get "preview" to work in completeopt. Is there
          > anything special I need to do to get it working? I'm using gvim
          > 7.1.315 on MS Windows (I grabbed it from the Cream sourceforge page).
          >
          > If I do:
          >
          > gvim -N -u NONE -i NONE
          >
          > I verify:
          > set completeopt?
          > gives
          > "menu,preview"
          >
          > I then open a C file for which there is a tags file in the 'tags'
          > path, but neither <C-X><C-]> nor <C-N> brings up any preview window,
          > even when I select things in the menu with <C-N> or with the arrow
          > keys. Pressing <C-Y> or <CR> to accept the selected match doesn't do
          > anything either. Am I doing something wrong?

          Anyone have any suggestions for this/seen this behavior before?

          I can reproduce this on linux with Vim 7.1.305, as well as on Windows with Vim 7.2a BETA.

          That is to say, I can get the completion menu to show up, but I never see the preview window when using any of the insert mode completion commands listed under *ins-completion*.

          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 26, 2008
            On 26/06/08 18:14, fritzophrenic wrote:

            > On Jun 20, 9:15 am, "Benjamin Fritz"<fritzophre...@...> wrote:
            >> I can't seem to get "preview" to work in completeopt. Is there
            >> anything special I need to do to get it working? I'm using gvim
            >> 7.1.315 on MS Windows (I grabbed it from the Cream sourceforge page).
            >>
            >> If I do:
            >>
            >> gvim -N -u NONE -i NONE
            >>
            >> I verify:
            >> set completeopt?
            >> gives
            >> "menu,preview"
            >>
            >> I then open a C file for which there is a tags file in the 'tags'
            >> path, but neither<C-X><C-]> nor<C-N> brings up any preview window,
            >> even when I select things in the menu with<C-N> or with the arrow
            >> keys. Pressing<C-Y> or<CR> to accept the selected match doesn't do
            >> anything either. Am I doing something wrong?
            >
            > Anyone have any suggestions for this/seen this behavior before?
            >
            > I know I've been able to see the preview window before from the
            > completion menu, but I can't seem to get it working now.

            Only some specific commands open the preview window: see ":help preview".

            26. You check your mail. It says "no new messages." So you check it again.

          • Benjamin Fritz
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 26, 2008
              On 6/26/08, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:

              > On 26/06/08 18:14, fritzophrenic wrote:
              > >

              > > On Jun 20, 9:15 am, "Benjamin Fritz"<fritzophre...@...> wrote:
              > >> I can't seem to get "preview" to work in completeopt. Is there
              > >> anything special I need to do to get it working? I'm using gvim
              > >> 7.1.315 on MS Windows (I grabbed it from the Cream sourceforge page).
              > >>
              > >> If I do:
              > >>
              > >> gvim -N -u NONE -i NONE
              > >>
              > >> I verify:
              > >> set completeopt?
              > >> gives
              > >> "menu,preview"
              > >>
              > >> I then open a C file for which there is a tags file in the 'tags'
              > >> path, but neither<C-X><C-]> nor<C-N> brings up any preview window,
              > >> even when I select things in the menu with<C-N> or with the arrow
              > >> keys. Pressing<C-Y> or<CR> to accept the selected match doesn't do
              > >> anything either. Am I doing something wrong?
              > >
              > > Anyone have any suggestions for this/seen this behavior before?
              > >
              > > I know I've been able to see the preview window before from the
              > > completion menu, but I can't seem to get it working now.
              >

              > Only some specific commands open the preview window: see ":help preview".
              >

              > Best regards,
              > Tony.

              Okay, so I can view the preview window manually (I didn't actually
              know about CTRL-W_} which should be very useful). However, if this is
              the only way to open the preview window, then what does the "preview"
              value in 'completeopt' do? The help text for :help 'completeopt' says,
              if "preview" is included in 'completeopt', then:

              "Show extra information about the currently selected completion in the
              preview window. Only works in combination with 'menu' or 'menuone'."

              Is this not saying that a preview window will automatically open when
              you highlight a match in the completion window? If not, what is it
              saying? Is "preview" an unimplemented behavior in 'completeopt'?

              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 26, 2008
                On 26/06/08 22:56, Benjamin Fritz wrote:
                > On 6/26/08, Tony Mechelynck<antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:

                >> > Anyone have any suggestions for this/seen this behavior before?
                >> >
                >> > I know I've been able to see the preview window before from the
                >> > completion menu, but I can't seem to get it working now.
                >>

                >> Only some specific commands open the preview window: see ":help preview".
                >>

                >> Best regards,
                >> Tony.
                >>

                > Okay, so I can view the preview window manually (I didn't actually
                > know about CTRL-W_} which should be very useful). However, if this is
                > the only way to open the preview window, then what does the "preview"
                > value in 'completeopt' do? The help text for :help 'completeopt' says,
                > if "preview" is included in 'completeopt', then:
                >
                > "Show extra information about the currently selected completion in the
                > preview window. Only works in combination with 'menu' or 'menuone'."
                >
                > Is this not saying that a preview window will automatically open when
                > you highlight a match in the completion window? If not, what is it
                > saying? Is "preview" an unimplemented behavior in 'completeopt'?

                I may be wrong (I've never used the preview window yet), but it says
                "...in _the_ preview window": wouldn' that mean "if you have one open"?
                It doesn't say "... in _a_ preview window" (which it will open if you
                haven't got one yet).

                QUOTE OF THE DAY:

                `

              • Benjamin Fritz
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 27, 2008
                  On 6/26/08, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:

                  > On 26/06/08 22:56, Benjamin Fritz wrote:

                  > >> Only some specific commands open the preview window: see ":help preview".
                  > >>

                  > >> Best regards,
                  > >> Tony.
                  > >>

                  > > Okay, so I can view the preview window manually (I didn't actually
                  > > know about CTRL-W_} which should be very useful). However, if this is
                  > > the only way to open the preview window, then what does the "preview"
                  > > value in 'completeopt' do? The help text for :help 'completeopt' says,
                  > > if "preview" is included in 'completeopt', then:
                  > >
                  > > "Show extra information about the currently selected completion in the
                  > > preview window. Only works in combination with 'menu' or 'menuone'."
                  > >
                  > > Is this not saying that a preview window will automatically open when
                  > > you highlight a match in the completion window? If not, what is it
                  > > saying? Is "preview" an unimplemented behavior in 'completeopt'?
                  >

                  > I may be wrong (I've never used the preview window yet), but it says
                  > "...in _the_ preview window": wouldn' that mean "if you have one open"?
                  > It doesn't say "... in _a_ preview window" (which it will open if you
                  > haven't got one yet).

                  Hmm...good idea.

                  Sadly, it still isn't working. With a preview window already open, the
                  preview window never updates when using the completion menu, no matter
                  which match is selected.

                • Erik Falor
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 27, 2008
                    On 6/26/08, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:

                    On 26/06/08 22:56, Benjamin Fritz wrote:
                    > On 6/26/08, Tony Mechelynck<antoine.mechelynck@...>  wrote:
                    >>   On 26/06/08 18:14, fritzophrenic wrote:
                    >>   >
                    >>   >
                    >>   >  On Jun 20, 9:15 am, "Benjamin Fritz"<fritzophre...@...>   wrote:
                    >>   >>  I can't seem to get "preview" to work in completeopt. Is there
                    >>   >>  anything special I need to do to get it working? I'm using gvim
                    >>   >>  7.1.315 on MS Windows (I grabbed it from the Cream sourceforge page).
                    >>   >>
                    >>   >>  If I do:
                    >>   >>
                    >>   >>  gvim -N -u NONE -i NONE
                    >>   >>
                    >>   >>  I verify:
                    >>   >>  set completeopt?
                    >>   >>  gives
                    >>   >>  "menu,preview"
                    >>   >>
                    >>   >>  I then open a C file for which there is a tags file in the 'tags'
                    >>   >>  path, but neither<C-X><C-]>   nor<C-N>   brings up any preview window,
                    >>   >>  even when I select things in the menu with<C-N>   or with the arrow
                    >>   >>  keys. Pressing<C-Y>   or<CR>   to accept the selected match doesn't do
                    >>   >>  anything either. Am I doing something wrong?
                    >>   >
                    >>   >  Anyone have any suggestions for this/seen this behavior before?
                    >>   >
                    >>   >  I know I've been able to see the preview window before from the
                    >>   >  completion menu, but I can't seem to get it working now.
                    >>

                    >> Only some specific commands open the preview window: see ":help preview".
                    >>

                    >>   Best regards,
                    >>   Tony.
                    >>

                    > Okay, so I can view the preview window manually (I didn't actually
                    > know about CTRL-W_} which should be very useful). However, if this is
                    > the only way to open the preview window, then what does the "preview"
                    > value in 'completeopt' do? The help text for :help 'completeopt' says,
                    > if "preview" is included in 'completeopt', then:
                    >
                    > "Show extra information about the currently selected completion in the
                    > preview window. Only works in combination with 'menu' or 'menuone'."
                    >
                    > Is this not saying that a preview window will automatically open when
                    > you highlight a match in the completion window? If not, what is it
                    > saying? Is "preview" an unimplemented behavior in 'completeopt'?

                    I may be wrong (I've never used the preview window yet), but it says
                    "...in _the_ preview window": wouldn' that mean "if you have one open"?
                    It doesn't say "... in _a_ preview window" (which it will open if you

                    haven't got one yet).

                    In my opinion, when that paragraph says "the preview window", it is alluding to the fact that there can only ever be one preview window visible at a time.

                    From windows.txt (:help preview):

                    There can be only one preview window (per tab page).

                    At any rate, I don't know how much emphasis we should put on the distinction between the articles "the" and "a".  The fact is, even with a/the preview window already open, nothing related to the potential completion is displayed in it.  There is no discernable difference between completeopt=menu and completeopt=menu,preview.

                    Erik Falor

                  • Benjamin Fritz
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 30, 2008
                      On 6/27/08, Erik Falor <ewfalor@...> wrote:
                      > There is no discernable difference between
                      > completeopt=menu and completeopt=menu,preview.

                      So, does anyone have any leads on why this could be? Is there some
                      simple option that prevents the preview window from popping up,
                      something we aren't doing correctly, or is this a bug?

                      Can anyone else get completeopt=menu,preview to pop up a preview window?

                    • Yegappan Lakshmanan
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 1, 2008

                        On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 9:07 AM, Benjamin Fritz <fritzophrenic@...> wrote:

                        > On 6/27/08, Erik Falor <ewfalor@...> wrote:
                        >> There is no discernable difference between
                        >> completeopt=menu and completeopt=menu,preview.
                        >>

                        > So, does anyone have any leads on why this could be? Is there some
                        > simple option that prevents the preview window from popping up,
                        > something we aren't doing correctly, or is this a bug?
                        >
                        > Can anyone else get completeopt=menu,preview to pop up a preview window?

                        I am able to get the preview window to open when using omni-completion
                        to display more information about a selected tag with a C file.

                        - Yegappan

                      • Hari
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 1, 2008
                          I have a question on the same lines. Would it be actually possible to spawn the omni-complete preview window on a CursorHold event? I find the omni-complete preview window much more useful than the "ptag" preview window. For example, I want to move my cursor over a function name and want the prototype information in the omni-complete preview window. I know there are very many useful scripts that do something close to it, but, this would make it a one-stop place for all "hinting".

                          Thanks!
                          Hari

                          Hi,

                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 1, 2008
                            On 7/1/08, Yegappan Lakshmanan <yegappanl@...> wrote:

                            > Hi,
                            >

                            > On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 9:07 AM, Benjamin Fritz <fritzophrenic@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > On 6/27/08, Erik Falor <ewfalor@...> wrote:
                            > >> There is no discernable difference between
                            > >> completeopt=menu and completeopt=menu,preview.
                            > >>

                            > > So, does anyone have any leads on why this could be? Is there some
                            > > simple option that prevents the preview window from popping up,
                            > > something we aren't doing correctly, or is this a bug?
                            > >
                            > > Can anyone else get completeopt=menu,preview to pop up a preview window?
                            > >

                            > I am able to get the preview window to open when using omni-completion
                            > to display more information about a selected tag with a C file.

                            That works for me too...

                            Is this the only time the preview window will open by default?
                            Omni-completion with a tags file?

                            Maybe the 'info' field in :help complete-items needs to be set for it
                            to display anything?

                          • Hari
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 1, 2008
                              Hmm...looks so. I had a look at the end in popupmnu.c -- the omnifunc complete function is supposed to prepopulate the different entries (name, cmd, etc) and then the popup menu selection code updates the preview window using the populated info when you move through the entries. Not sure if you can fake this process by calling the complete function directly through a command....

                              Any thoughts?