Change Caret Colour In Insert Mode

  • Eric Mutta
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2008
      Good Evening,

      I use the darkblue colour scheme because it's easy on the eyes. In
      normal mode the cursor shows up as the standard Windows White Arrow
      cursor and is easy to see. But in insert mode the caret is the shape
      of a thin I-beam and is coloured black which makes it camouflage into
      my blue background.

      What giveth?? How can I change the colour used?

      Thanks,
      Eric.
    • sc
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2008
        On Sunday 01 June 2008 15:32, Eric Mutta wrote:

        > Good Evening,
        >
        > I use the darkblue colour scheme because it's easy on the eyes. In
        > normal mode the cursor shows up as the standard Windows White Arrow
        > cursor and is easy to see. But in insert mode the caret is the shape
        > of a thin I-beam and is coloured black which makes it camouflage into
        > my blue background.
        >
        > What giveth?? How can I change the colour used?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Eric.

        i dunno why the difference, but for me when i change color
        to darkblue the insertmode cursor is yellow, which is
        extremely visible against the dark blue background

        there are several answers to your question, some of which i
        will list, in order of simplicity

        - try a different colorscheme -- there are hundreds
        available -- see note

        - make a copy of darkblue in your ~/.vim/colors directory,
        rename it, change the color of the insertmode cursor to
        something you can see, and use that colorscheme

        - send an email to the maintainer of darkblue and ask them
        to change it for you -- this may take some time, and begs
        the question of why i see a nice visible yellow cursor and
        you see a dark one

        here's the note i asked you to see: a fun way to
        experiment with colorschemes is a script i cobbled together
        -- go to

        http://home.swbell.net/toothpik/.vim

        do a 'link saveas' on the 'colorsteper' link, save it in
        your ~/.vim path, source it, and map :call Step_color() to
        something easy to type -- i do that in my .vimrc with

        source /home/scott/.vim/colorstepper.vim
        nnoremap <Leader>n :call Step_color()<CR>

        enough to get you started? like me to explain any of these
        further?

        sc

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 1, 2008
          On 01/06/08 22:32, Eric Mutta wrote:
          > Good Evening,
          >
          > I use the darkblue colour scheme because it's easy on the eyes. In
          > normal mode the cursor shows up as the standard Windows White Arrow
          > cursor and is easy to see. But in insert mode the caret is the shape
          > of a thin I-beam and is coloured black which makes it camouflage into
          > my blue background.
          >
          > What giveth?? How can I change the colour used?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Eric.

          The shape of the mouse pointer can be set, separately for various Vim
          screen areas, but only in the GUI, by means of the 'mouseshape' option.
          The allowable shapes, for Windows, are:

          standard arrow pointing up-left
          no pointer
          I-beam
          up-down arrow
          left-right arrow
          busy pointer (usually with hourglass)
          "no input" pointer
          arrow pointing straight up

          See: :help 'mouseshape'

          Think honk if you're a telepath.

        • sc
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 1, 2008
            On Sunday 01 June 2008 16:04, sc wrote:

            > On Sunday 01 June 2008 15:32, Eric Mutta wrote:
            > >
            > > Good Evening,
            > >
            > > I use the darkblue colour scheme because it's easy on the eyes. In
            > > normal mode the cursor shows up as the standard Windows White Arrow
            > > cursor and is easy to see. But in insert mode the caret is the shape
            > > of a thin I-beam and is coloured black which makes it camouflage into
            > > my blue background.
            > >
            > > What giveth?? How can I change the colour used?
            > >
            > > Thanks,
            > > Eric.
            >
            > i dunno why the difference, but for me when i change color
            > to darkblue the insertmode cursor is yellow, which is
            > extremely visible against the dark blue background
            >
            > there are several answers to your question, some of which i
            > will list, in order of simplicity
            >
            > - try a different colorscheme -- there are hundreds
            > available -- see note
            >
            > - make a copy of darkblue in your ~/.vim/colors directory,
            > rename it, change the color of the insertmode cursor to
            > something you can see, and use that colorscheme
            >
            > - send an email to the maintainer of darkblue and ask them
            > to change it for you -- this may take some time, and begs
            > the question of why i see a nice visible yellow cursor and
            > you see a dark one
            >
            > here's the note i asked you to see: a fun way to
            > experiment with colorschemes is a script i cobbled together
            > -- go to
            >
            > http://home.swbell.net/toothpik/.vim
            >
            > do a 'link saveas' on the 'colorsteper' link, save it in
            > your ~/.vim path, source it, and map :call Step_color() to
            > something easy to type -- i do that in my .vimrc with
            >
            > source /home/scott/.vim/colorstepper.vim
            > nnoremap <Leader>n :call Step_color()<CR>
            >
            > enough to get you started? like me to explain any of these
            > further?
            >
            > sc

            or did you mean the mouse cursor -- if so, never mind

            sc

          • Eric Mutta
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 3, 2008
              sc: yes, you are correct, I meant the mouse cursor rather than caret.

              Tony: I used the mouseshape setting to make the arrow cursor appear
              even in insert mode. While unconventional, it does solve my problem!

              Thank you all!