Can I use gvim in fullscreen mode?

  • fdu.xiaojf@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 4 , May 30 1:39 AM
      Hi all,

      Can gvim be used in fullscreen mode? gvim is my favorite editor in windows
      platform.

      I have googled and found the script
      http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=1669. However, it just
      maximize the window. What I want is a full screen mode just like when I play
      games in full screen mode, no window border, no title bar, just the edit area.

      Thanks a lot.

    • Andy Wokula
      Message 2 of 4 , May 30 2:03 AM
        fdu.xiaojf@... schrieb:
        > Hi all,
        >
        > Can gvim be used in fullscreen mode? gvim is my favorite editor in windows
        > platform.
        >
        > I have googled and found the script
        > http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=1669. However, it just
        > maximize the window. What I want is a full screen mode just like when I play
        > games in full screen mode, no window border, no title bar, just the edit area.
        >
        > Thanks a lot.

        Try Vimscript #687, "VimTweak".

        e.g.
        :set go& go-=m go-=T go-=r stal&
        :call libcallnr("vimtweak.dll", "EnableMaximize", 1)
        :call libcallnr("vimtweak.dll", "EnableCaption", 0)

        When the window is really maximized you cannot click anything, you have to control
        the gVim window by hand
        :simalt ~
        :h :simalt
        or do
        :call libcallnr("vimtweak.dll", "EnableMaximize", 0)
        :call libcallnr("vimtweak.dll", "EnableCaption", 1)

        --
        Andy

      • Tim Chase
        Message 3 of 4 , May 30 4:56 AM
          > Can gvim be used in fullscreen mode? gvim is my favorite editor in windows
          > platform.
          >
          > I have googled and found the script
          > http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=1669. However, it just
          > maximize the window. What I want is a full screen mode just like when I play
          > games in full screen mode, no window border, no title bar, just the edit area.

          For what you describe, in Windows, not to the best of my knowledge.

          If you switch to console (non-g)vim, you can use a key-chord
          (control+enter or alt+enter, IIRC) to full-screen the command
          window. However, this comes at a fixed-cell size, usually 80x25
          or 80x50. You'll get far more screen-space character-wise in a
          gvim even with the window chrome.

          The other option is to not use windows :) I use both Vim and
          gVim on my Linux box within X and Fluxbox allows me to easy
          toggle window chrome, and maximize it to full-screen exactly as
          you describe. I don't know of any similar option on Win32
          platforms. (I haven't found a similar solution on my mac yet,
          which is even more annoying because I have the forced Mac
          menu-bar plus Vim's (or Console's) window chrome.

          It can help to remove the superfluous window trimmings that gVim
          adds. I have the following in my _gvimrc to do this for me:

          set guioptions-=m
          set guioptions-=l
          set guioptions-=L
          set guioptions-=t
          set guioptions-=T

          Hope this helps get you closer to what you want, given the
          limitations of your platform.

          -tim

        • Tim Hammerquist
          Message 4 of 4 , May 30 12:24 PM
            Tim Chase wrote:
            > > Can gvim be used in fullscreen mode? gvim is my favorite editor in
            > > windows platform.
            > >
            > > What I want is a full screen mode just like when I play games in
            > > full screen mode, no window border, no title bar, just the edit
            > > area.
            [ snip ]
            > (I haven't found a similar solution on my mac yet, which is even
            > more annoying because I have the forced Mac menu-bar plus Vim's (or
            > Console's) window chrome.

            MacVim[1] now supports fullscreen mode by toggling the 'fullscreen'
            option, and 'fuoptions' to configure whether you want a regular size
            window floating on a solid background (eliminating colorful
            distractions), or whether you want the editing window to be maximized
            horizontally, vertically, or both.

            set fuoptions=maxvert,maxhorz
            map <Leader>f :set invfullscreen<CR>

            [1] http://code.google.com/p/macvim/