vimshell still alive?

  • Edward Peschko
    Message 1 of 1 , May 23, 2008
      hey all,

      I just made this (imo) rather useful macro under marvim.. It basically takes stack traces that were recorded by the perl debugger, splits the screen and shows the code associated with each frame in the callstack (assuming all of the perl functions start with '/home':

      /\/home^M:~@kb^W^W:q^M:split <cfile>^M^W^W/ line^Mww"ayw^W^W:@a^M^W^Wj0

      Anyways, that got me thinking that I'd love to do the same with a live, gdb, session, which made me think of vimshell and to download it. But when I downloaded vimshell, I noticed that it no longer compiled cleanly with vim71. So -

          1. is vimshell still being maintained?
          2. how many scripts/utilities have been written for vimshell?

      In short, I'm fearful that it has become unsupported, which is a shame, because it is a really nice, clean, 3000 line patch, and because there are no real workable alternatives (not screen, not cgdb, mainly because of the combination of named buffers and scriptability that vim provides)

      It's also my fear that *because* its unsupported and non-standard, people will not write nearly as many utilities for it than otherwise would be written.

      So - does anyone know the status of this project? And if there is a repository of vimshell scripts that I could take a look at? I'm ultimately looking for a vim-gdb-shell combo...

      Ed

      (ps - for those of you not familiar with marvim, it too is one of those life-saving utilities.. it allows you to record macros into a repository, and to retrieve those macros at will.. Strange though, even though it can do this, it doesn't for some reason work with @@ (ie: repeating the last macro... Otherwise it's really cool..)