Re: set et in vimrc, but ':set et?' = noexpandtab ?

  • Jeffrey 'jf' Lim
    Message 1 of 8 , May 4, 2008
      On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 7:59 PM, Jeffrey 'jf' Lim <jfs.world@...> wrote:
      On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 10:43 AM, Jeffrey 'jf' Lim <jfs.world@...> wrote:
      On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 10:39 AM, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
      When, after sourcing the system vimrc, Vim doesn't find a personal
      vimrc, it sets 'compatible'. IIUC, this also implicitly (among others)
      sets 'noexpandtab'.

      damn, man. I've actually gotten caught by this twice!.. thanks...

      ok wait, something's not quite right.

      Here's my scenario: I've touched an empty ~/.vimrc, and yet despite this, when I do a ':verbose set et?', I get

      -------

      noexpandtab
              Last set from /usr/share/vim/vimrc
      -----

      and this, even when /usr/share/vim/vimrc *explicitly* specifies an expandtab!!? again, $VIM is correct, I have no ~/.vim, and no ~/.exrc.

      *HOWEVER*, if I do a 'set et' in ~/.vimrc, vim now recognizes my 'et'. But if i remove this 'set et' from .vimrc, vim goes back to the setting as stated above!! And this happens whether .vimrc is empty, or non-empty (contains some other settings, but not 'et'). Begging the obvious question... how can this be? Is there anything I'm missing here, any info that you need in order to help me troubleshoot this?

      thanks,
      -jf

      ok, it looks like I've found my problem. The problem has to do with a 'set bin' after the 'set et', which, apparently triggers a 'set noet'!....

      I wish ":verbose" could help been more helpful with this, though, but at least it was correct in directing me to the (only, but still correct) vimrc file....

      --
      In the meantime, here is your PSA:
      "It's so hard to write a graphics driver that open-sourcing it would not help."