Help figuring out a vim feature

  • Sieranski, Greg
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 2, 2008
      I was typing in a list of countries inside vim and I accidentally hit a
      key sequence which popped up a box that seemed to contain a list of the
      entries I had typed in. Does anyone have any idea which feature or key
      sequence this may have been?

      Thanks,
      Greg Sieranski

    • Tim Chase
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 2, 2008
        > I was typing in a list of countries inside vim and I
        > accidentally hit a key sequence which popped up a box that
        > seemed to contain a list of the entries I had typed in. Does
        > anyone have any idea which feature or key sequence this may
        > have been?

        It sounds like it was either the "next/previous match" using
        control+N/control+P, or it was omni-completion using
        control+X-control+O.

        :help compl-generic
        :help new-omni-completion

        -tim

      • Sieranski, Greg
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 2, 2008
          Tim Chase wrote:
          >> I was typing in a list of countries inside vim and I
          >> accidentally hit a key sequence which popped up a box that
          >> seemed to contain a list of the entries I had typed in. Does
          >> anyone have any idea which feature or key sequence this may
          >> have been?
          >>

          > It sounds like it was either the "next/previous match" using
          > control+N/control+P, or it was omni-completion using
          > control+X-control+O.
          >
          > :help compl-generic
          > :help new-omni-completion
          >
          > -tim

          It seems like it might have been the next/previous but I have not
          figured out the keys that made the pop up box appear.

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 2, 2008
            Sieranski, Greg wrote:
            > Tim Chase wrote:
            >>> I was typing in a list of countries inside vim and I
            >>> accidentally hit a key sequence which popped up a box that
            >>> seemed to contain a list of the entries I had typed in. Does
            >>> anyone have any idea which feature or key sequence this may
            >>> have been?
            >>>
            >> It sounds like it was either the "next/previous match" using
            >> control+N/control+P, or it was omni-completion using
            >> control+X-control+O.
            >>
            >> :help compl-generic
            >> :help new-omni-completion
            >>
            >> -tim
            >>

            > It seems like it might have been the next/previous but I have not
            > figured out the keys that made the pop up box appear.

            Reread Tim's post, and you'll see them.

            Ninety-Ninety Rule of Project Schedules:
            The first ninety percent of the task takes ninety percent of
            the time, and the last ten percent takes the other ninety percent.

          • Sieranski, Greg
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 2, 2008
              Tony Mechelynck wrote:
              > Sieranski, Greg wrote:

              >>> It sounds like it was either the "next/previous match" using
              >>> control+N/control+P, or it was omni-completion using
              >>> control+X-control+O.
              >>>
              >>> :help compl-generic
              >>> :help new-omni-completion
              >>>
              >>> -tim
              >>>

              >> It seems like it might have been the next/previous but I have not
              >> figured out the keys that made the pop up box appear.
              >>

              > Reread Tim's post, and you'll see them.
              >

              > Best regards,
              > Tony.

              I see it, I had to be in Insert mode. :)

              Thanks,
              Greg Sieranski