paragraph scrolling in Vim

  • madiyaan
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 30, 2008
      Hello all:

      I use Vim to write paragraphs sometimes, and I don't like line-breaks
      (because I later copy these paragraphs to word processors like MS
      Word, etc.), so I just write in a single line per paragraph without
      pressing returns and have mapped my j to gj and k to gk.

      That all is working fine. However, when I scroll, if there is a
      paragraph just below the screen, vim shows characters like:

      @
      @
      @

      etc. to indicate that the paragraph below was too long to be included.
      Vim only includes the paragraph if there is enough space for it.

      My question is this: Is it possible for me to configure Vim such that
      it shows part of the paragraph below? It is annoying when you are
      scrolling and no paragraph shows up and when you scroll some more
      suddenly a huge paragraph pops in. Smooth scrolling would make my life
      much better, if implemented. :)

      I know Vim was designed mostly for code editing, but what about people
      who want to use it for paragraph editing like me?

    • Ben Schmidt
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 30, 2008
        madiyaan wrote:
        > Hello all:
        >
        > I use Vim to write paragraphs sometimes, and I don't like line-breaks
        > (because I later copy these paragraphs to word processors like MS
        > Word, etc.), so I just write in a single line per paragraph without
        > pressing returns and have mapped my j to gj and k to gk.
        >
        > That all is working fine. However, when I scroll, if there is a
        > paragraph just below the screen, vim shows characters like:
        >
        > @
        > @
        > @
        >
        > etc. to indicate that the paragraph below was too long to be included.
        > Vim only includes the paragraph if there is enough space for it.
        >
        > My question is this: Is it possible for me to configure Vim such that
        > it shows part of the paragraph below? It is annoying when you are
        > scrolling and no paragraph shows up and when you scroll some more
        > suddenly a huge paragraph pops in. Smooth scrolling would make my life
        > much better, if implemented. :)
        >
        > I know Vim was designed mostly for code editing, but what about people
        > who want to use it for paragraph editing like me?

        :help 'display'

        Cheers,

        Ben.

      • Ben Schmidt
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 30, 2008
          Ben Schmidt wrote:
          > madiyaan wrote:
          >> Hello all:
          >>
          >> I use Vim to write paragraphs sometimes, and I don't like line-breaks
          >> (because I later copy these paragraphs to word processors like MS
          >> Word, etc.), so I just write in a single line per paragraph without
          >> pressing returns and have mapped my j to gj and k to gk.
          >>
          >> That all is working fine. However, when I scroll, if there is a
          >> paragraph just below the screen, vim shows characters like:
          >>
          >> @
          >> @
          >> @
          >>
          >> etc. to indicate that the paragraph below was too long to be included.
          >> Vim only includes the paragraph if there is enough space for it.
          >>
          >> My question is this: Is it possible for me to configure Vim such that
          >> it shows part of the paragraph below? It is annoying when you are
          >> scrolling and no paragraph shows up and when you scroll some more
          >> suddenly a huge paragraph pops in. Smooth scrolling would make my life
          >> much better, if implemented. :)
          >>
          >> I know Vim was designed mostly for code editing, but what about people
          >> who want to use it for paragraph editing like me?
          >
          > :help 'display'
          >
          > Cheers,
          >
          > Ben.

          Showing part of a paragraph at the top of the window isn't possible yet, but
          something I mean to look into writing a patch for, as I would appreciate that
          feature, too, and it shouldn't be too hard (Vim can do most of what is needed
          already, it just doesn't use the opportunity yet!).

          Ben.

          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 30, 2008
            Ben Schmidt wrote:
            > Ben Schmidt wrote:
            >> madiyaan wrote:
            >>> Hello all:
            >>>
            >>> I use Vim to write paragraphs sometimes, and I don't like line-breaks
            >>> (because I later copy these paragraphs to word processors like MS
            >>> Word, etc.), so I just write in a single line per paragraph without
            >>> pressing returns and have mapped my j to gj and k to gk.
            >>>
            >>> That all is working fine. However, when I scroll, if there is a
            >>> paragraph just below the screen, vim shows characters like:
            >>>
            >>> @
            >>> @
            >>> @
            >>>
            >>> etc. to indicate that the paragraph below was too long to be included.
            >>> Vim only includes the paragraph if there is enough space for it.
            >>>
            >>> My question is this: Is it possible for me to configure Vim such that
            >>> it shows part of the paragraph below? It is annoying when you are
            >>> scrolling and no paragraph shows up and when you scroll some more
            >>> suddenly a huge paragraph pops in. Smooth scrolling would make my life
            >>> much better, if implemented. :)
            >>>
            >>> I know Vim was designed mostly for code editing, but what about people
            >>> who want to use it for paragraph editing like me?
            >> :help 'display'
            >>
            >> Cheers,
            >>
            >> Ben.
            >
            > Showing part of a paragraph at the top of the window isn't possible yet, but
            > something I mean to look into writing a patch for, as I would appreciate that
            > feature, too, and it shouldn't be too hard (Vim can do most of what is needed
            > already, it just doesn't use the opportunity yet!).
            >
            > Ben.

            There is one case when a window can begin elsewhere than at the start of
            a line, namely if 'wrap' is set and the current line is larger than the
            window. In that case, depending on the cursor location, the line can
            overflow both to the top and to the bottom (and no @ signs are shown,
            not even the @@@ which indicate that the line extends below the window
            when display=lastline).

            Note that with Vim 7, if you use lines extending beyond column 3000
            (three thousand), you may want to check ":help 'synmaxcol'".

            ARTHUR: Bloody peasant!
            DENNIS: Oh, what a give away. Did you here that, did you here that, eh?
            That's what I'm on about -- did you see him repressing me, you
            saw it
            didn't you?
            The Quest for the Holy Grail (Monty
            Python)

          • Ben Schmidt
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 30, 2008
              >> Showing part of a paragraph at the top of the window isn't possible yet, but
              >> something I mean to look into writing a patch for, as I would appreciate that
              >> feature, too, and it shouldn't be too hard (Vim can do most of what is needed
              >> already, it just doesn't use the opportunity yet!).
              >>
              >> Ben.
              >
              > There is one case when a window can begin elsewhere than at the start of
              > a line, namely if 'wrap' is set and the current line is larger than the
              > window. In that case, depending on the cursor location, the line can
              > overflow both to the top and to the bottom (and no @ signs are shown,
              > not even the @@@ which indicate that the line extends below the window
              > when display=lastline).

              Yes, I phrased myself a little badly. That one case is precisely why I know that
              "Vim can do most of what is needed." I should have said that showing part of a
              paragraph at the top of the window isn't *generally* possible yet.

              Ben.

            • Richard Hartmann
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 1, 2008
                On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 12:20 AM, Tony Mechelynck
                <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:

                > DENNIS: Oh, what a give away. Did you here that, did you here that, eh?

                Unless I missed a joke within a joke, your quote file is slightly broken ;)

                Richard

                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 1, 2008
                  Richard Hartmann wrote:
                  > On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 12:20 AM, Tony Mechelynck
                  > <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >> DENNIS: Oh, what a give away. Did you here that, did you here that, eh?
                  >
                  > Unless I missed a joke within a joke, your quote file is slightly broken ;)
                  >

                  > Richard

                  At that point, it's Bram's (available from http://moolenaar.net/fun.html
                  ) and (again at that point) it's part of a Monty Python serial. I
                  suspect the character had an accent, which made him pronounce "giveaway"
                  as if it were "give away" and "hear" as if it were "here" -- or else,
                  the scriptwriter had no sense of spelling, as is all too frequent in
                  some English-speaking countries these days...

                  "He was a modest, good-humored boy. It was Oxford that made him
                  insufferable."

                • Richard Hartmann
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 1, 2008
                    On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 6:11 PM, Tony Mechelynck
                    <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:

                    > At that point, it's Bram's (available from http://moolenaar.net/fun.html
                    > ) and (again at that point) it's part of a Monty Python serial. I
                    > suspect the character had an accent, which made him pronounce "giveaway"
                    > as if it were "give away" and "hear" as if it were "here" -- or else,
                    > the scriptwriter had no sense of spelling, as is all too frequent in
                    > some English-speaking countries these days...

                    The two peasants do have an accent, but I think it was not in that 'direction'.
                    If people are interested enough, I can check tonight as I own the full DVD set
                    of MP movies as every ViMer should ;)

                    Richard

                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 1, 2008
                      Richard Hartmann wrote:
                      > On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 6:11 PM, Tony Mechelynck
                      > <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
                      >

                      >> At that point, it's Bram's (available from http://moolenaar.net/fun.html
                      >> ) and (again at that point) it's part of a Monty Python serial. I
                      >> suspect the character had an accent, which made him pronounce "giveaway"
                      >> as if it were "give away" and "hear" as if it were "here" -- or else,
                      >> the scriptwriter had no sense of spelling, as is all too frequent in
                      >> some English-speaking countries these days...
                      >
                      > The two peasants do have an accent, but I think it was not in that 'direction'.
                      > If people are interested enough, I can check tonight as I own the full DVD set
                      > of MP movies as every ViMer should ;)
                      >

                      > Richard

                      If you have the sound but not the text, you'll be hard put to
                      discriminate these, I guess.

                      "His super power is to turn into a scotch terrier."

                    • Richard Hartmann
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 1, 2008
                        On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 6:26 PM, Tony Mechelynck
                        <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:

                        > If you have the sound but not the text, you'll be hard put to
                        > discriminate these, I guess.

                        Well, I do have subtitles, of course. I will try and check, tonight :)

                        Richard

                      • Matthew Winn
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 2, 2008
                          On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 18:17:08 +0200, "Richard Hartmann"
                          <richih.mailinglist@...> wrote:

                          > On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 6:11 PM, Tony Mechelynck
                          > <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > > At that point, it's Bram's (available from http://moolenaar.net/fun.html
                          > > ) and (again at that point) it's part of a Monty Python serial. I
                          > > suspect the character had an accent, which made him pronounce "giveaway"
                          > > as if it were "give away" and "hear" as if it were "here" -- or else,
                          > > the scriptwriter had no sense of spelling, as is all too frequent in
                          > > some English-speaking countries these days...
                          >
                          > The two peasants do have an accent, but I think it was not in that 'direction'.
                          > If people are interested enough, I can check tonight as I own the full DVD set
                          > of MP movies as every ViMer should ;)

                          According to the book of the film (titled "Mønti Pythøn ik den Hølie
                          Gräilen (Bøk)" on the spine) it's:

                          ARTHUR
                          Bloody peasant!

                          DENNIS
                          Oooooh! Did you hear that! What a give-away.

                          --
                          Matthew Winn