RE: The "Edit with" option on an x64 machine.

  • Gene Kwiecinski
    Message 1 of 33 , Mar 28, 2008
      >I don't know, I really like having Vim in my SendTo menu...that way I
      >can create several different shortcuts, all with different runtime
      >arguments. I have one to open a file in a new Vim instance, open a file

      >in a tab in an existing Vim instance, open files in a special "binary
      >edit" Vim instance, etc.

      Absolutely, and I'm not arguing with that, but on work machines where
      they're typically locked down tight and they don't want you monkeying
      with *anything*, regardless how much that might impede your overall
      *efficiency*, there might not be anything you can do about it. Would be
      nice to have *both*, just in case, but...

      Eg, everyone here seems to use Epsilon, which to me is flat-out
      *painful* to use. If you were to look at the command set, you'd see
      what I mean. Frankly, if I were forced to use *only* Epsilon, and not
      be able to install/use 'vim' or any 'vi' variant for that matter, I
      would've quit long ago. As it exists now, I don't have the nice
      "right-click"[1] options like I do on my home machines, so I just
      created the shortcuts and stuck 'em in 'SendTo'. Lis, it's an asswise
      solution, but it still works, albeit one extra step/navigation.

      [1] I don't use the moose unless forced to at gunpoint, practically, so
      I just bap the bottom-right key with the piece-of-paper-and-arrow on it,
      whatever that's called. Essentially that's the same thing as
      right-click, but hey, it works from the keyboard, so I'm still more or
      less happy.

    • Gene Kwiecinski
      Message 33 of 33 , Mar 28, 2008