Re: compiling in same directory

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 28, 2008
      Misskiss wrote:
      > If I compile VIM under windows, how do I install it to C:\VIM ? I cannot
      > find any document for this. Can anyone please help?
      >
      > Thanks a lot!
      >
      > --Misskiss

      If you compile Vim, you should install it into some directory whose name
      ends (for vim 7.1) in /vim71 -- typically "C:\Program Files\vim\vim71"
      or maybe C:\VIM\vim71\

      See http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compile.htm about
      compiling Vim on Windows; but also, you might prefer installing Steve
      Hall's builds from
      https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=43866&package_id=39721
      which is kept reasonably up-to-date (click the clipboard-like icon next
      to the version number to see the "release notes", i.e. the ":version" text.

      If you compile Vim yourself, you may want to copy the executables into
      $VIMRUNTIME (i.e., "C:\Program Files\vim\vim71" or C:\VIM\vim71); the
      runtime fimes (i.e. the contents of the "runtime" subfolder in your
      "build" directory tree) can be copied to the same place but _while
      preserving the directory structure_: if you have Cygwin installed, you
      can use (mutatis mutandis, if you use other directory names):

      cd ~/build/vim/vim71
      cp -avf runtime/* /cygdrive/c/PROGRA~1/vim/vim71
      cp -vf src/*.exe src/xxd/*.exe src/GnuWin32/*.exe
      /cygdrive/c/PROGRA~1/vim/vim71

      Warning: the above does not remove obsolete files (which should be
      deleted). You may want to make from time to time a directory compare of
      your $VIMRUNTIME directory (and its subdirectories) with your "source"
      runtime directory (and its subdirezctories).

      Mike: "The Fourth Dimension is a shambles?"
      Bernie: "Nobody ever empties the ashtrays. People are SO
      inconsiderate."
      -- Gary Trudeau, "Doonesbury"