7.1 in X Terminal

  • MK
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 27, 2008
      Since compiling 7.1 on fedora 7 (gcc4.1.2) yesterday i've been having
      some interesting problems (referred to in my last several posts). They
      have now become intertwined.

      "vim --remote file.txt"

      SOMETIMES (but not always) splits an empty, fresh vim window.
      SOMETIMES "vim --remote +10sv file.txt" works but still says "E471"

      Also, the BkSp SOMETIMES works in a particular instance or window. For
      example, if i start vim and BkSp works, then issue "vim --remote
      file.txt" and it splits the window (instead of just loading file.txt),
      BkSp doesn't work in the new window. If "--remote" works properly,
      BkSp usually doesn't.

      If i just plain use ":split" on a file when BkSp works, it doesn't work
      in the new window.

      I have tried different "set enc" but this doesn't seem to matter.

      To answer a few of Tony Mechelynck's questions:

      1. Which patchlevel and platform? (What are the first 5 lines of the
      output of ":version"?

      VIM - Vi IMproved 7.1 (2007 May 12, compiled Mar 26 2008 23:23:37)
      is the first line and there is no info regarding platforms or
      patchlevel from :ve. However, i'm linux-gnu.

      The problem does not occur in gvim or on a console, only in an X
      terminal.

      4. What happens when you hit Ctrl-V Bsp Ctrl-V Ctrl-W (where Bsp means
      "hit backspace")? For comparison, I see

      ^H^W

      I see ^?^W. I haven't changed my wm or terminal settings since the
      compile and screwing with them didn't help. If i set the terminal to
      issue an escape sequence for BkSp, it acts like Del and indeed the
      escape sequence is Del (]]3~).

      the whole "SOMETIMES" issue adds some confusion. Any advice anyone has
      would be great.

    • Bram Moolenaar
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 27, 2008
        halfcountplus (?) wrote:

        > Since compiling 7.1 on fedora 7 (gcc4.1.2) yesterday i've been having
        > some interesting problems (referred to in my last several posts). They
        > have now become intertwined.
        >
        > "vim --remote file.txt"
        >
        > SOMETIMES (but not always) splits an empty, fresh vim window.
        > SOMETIMES "vim --remote +10sv file.txt" works but still says "E471"
        >
        > Also, the BkSp SOMETIMES works in a particular instance or window. For
        > example, if i start vim and BkSp works, then issue "vim --remote
        > file.txt" and it splits the window (instead of just loading file.txt),
        > BkSp doesn't work in the new window. If "--remote" works properly,
        > BkSp usually doesn't.
        >
        > If i just plain use ":split" on a file when BkSp works, it doesn't work
        > in the new window.
        >
        > I have tried different "set enc" but this doesn't seem to matter.
        >
        > To answer a few of Tony Mechelynck's questions:
        >
        > 1. Which patchlevel and platform? (What are the first 5 lines of the
        > output of ":version"?
        >
        > VIM - Vi IMproved 7.1 (2007 May 12, compiled Mar 26 2008 23:23:37)
        > is the first line and there is no info regarding platforms or
        > patchlevel from :ve. However, i'm linux-gnu.
        >
        > The problem does not occur in gvim or on a console, only in an X
        > terminal.
        >
        > 4. What happens when you hit Ctrl-V Bsp Ctrl-V Ctrl-W (where Bsp means
        > "hit backspace")? For comparison, I see
        >
        > ^H^W
        >
        > I see ^?^W. I haven't changed my wm or terminal settings since the
        > compile and screwing with them didn't help. If i set the terminal to
        > issue an escape sequence for BkSp, it acts like Del and indeed the
        > escape sequence is Del (]]3~).
        >
        > the whole "SOMETIMES" issue adds some confusion. Any advice anyone has
        > would be great.

        First of all, vim in a terminal doesn't run as a server by default. So
        you must have something to enable that.

        Obvious thing to try is "vim -u NONE --remote file.txt". If that
        doesn't do what you want, add some settings for that. That way we may
        have a chance of reproducing your problem. Nevertheless, the
        "sometimes" can be a problem...

        --
        If Microsoft would build a car...
        ... Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 27, 2008
          MK wrote:
          [...]
          > To answer a few of Tony Mechelynck's questions:
          >
          > 1. Which patchlevel and platform? (What are the first 5 lines of the
          > output of ":version"?
          >
          > VIM - Vi IMproved 7.1 (2007 May 12, compiled Mar 26 2008 23:23:37)
          > is the first line and there is no info regarding platforms or
          > patchlevel from :ve. However, i'm linux-gnu.
          >
          > The problem does not occur in gvim or on a console, only in an X
          > terminal.
          [...]

          I asked for the equivalent of the following:

          VIM - Vi IMproved 7.1 (2007 May 12, compiled Mar 20 2008 20:20:03)
          Included patches: 1-285
          Compiled by antoine.mechelynck@...
          Huge version with GTK2-GNOME GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):

          You only gave the first line of it. If you haven't got the "Included
          patches" line, it means you're at patchlevel 0. If you have "without
          GUI" it means your Vim version isn't able of running in GUI mode and can
          only run in the console.

          If you're at patchlevel 0, you lack (as can be seen above) at least 285
          bugfixes. See my HowTo page,
          http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compunix.htm about how to
          compile Vim on Unix/Linux, and/or
          http://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/patches/7.1/README for what those patches are
          all about.

          If mathematically you end up with the wrong answer, try multiplying by
          the page number.