how to map ctrl-t?

  • mitch
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 4, 2008
      Interactively I can type the command

      :map ^t something

      (where ^t is control-t) and it works fine.

      But I'm trying to edit my vimrc file to put the map command in there,
      and I can't do it because I can't type control-t and have it go into
      the file. How can I do this? Thanks.
    • Tim Chase
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 4, 2008
        > Interactively I can type the command
        >
        > :map ^t something
        >
        > (where ^t is control-t) and it works fine.
        >
        > But I'm trying to edit my vimrc file to put the map command in there,
        > and I can't do it because I can't type control-t and have it go into
        > the file. How can I do this? Thanks.

        As described in

        :help key-notation

        you can use

        map <c-t> something

        (literally with the "less-than see dash tee greater-than") in
        your vimrc file to get the control+T mapping. I actually prefer
        this as it doesn't actually stick the control+T in the file
        (which can screw up some other text-editors that don't know how
        to deal with it reliably).

        -tim

      • Charles E Campbell Jr
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 4, 2008
          mitch wrote:
          > Interactively I can type the command
          >
          > :map ^t something
          >
          > (where ^t is control-t) and it works fine.
          >
          > But I'm trying to edit my vimrc file to put the map command in there,
          > and I can't do it because I can't type control-t and have it go into
          > the file. How can I do this? Thanks.

          map <c-t> :echo "this works!"<cr>

          Regards,
          Chip Campbell

        • Benjamin Fritz
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 4, 2008
            On 3/4/08, Charles E Campbell Jr <drchip@...> wrote:

            > mitch wrote:
            > > Interactively I can type the command
            > >
            > > :map ^t something
            > >
            > > (where ^t is control-t) and it works fine.
            > >
            > > But I'm trying to edit my vimrc file to put the map command in there,
            > > and I can't do it because I can't type control-t and have it go into
            > > the file. How can I do this? Thanks.
            > >

            > map <c-t> :echo "this works!"<cr>
            >
            > Regards,
            > Chip Campbell

            But note, CTRL-T is already defined, to jump back after jumping to a
            tag. This is especially useful when navigating help files! When you
            see a link, type CTRL-] to jump to it, and then CTRL-T to jump back.
            If you do remap CTRL-T, be sure to remap the existing functionality to
            something as well!

            Also, consider :noremap (or :nnoremap, :inoremap, etc.) instead of
            :map, to avoid potential recursive mappings and other unexpected
            behavior.

          • Benjamin Fritz
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 4, 2008
              On 3/4/08, Benjamin Fritz <fritzophrenic@...> wrote:
              > On 3/4/08, Charles E Campbell Jr <drchip@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > mitch wrote:
              > > > Interactively I can type the command
              > > >
              > > > :map ^t something
              > > >
              > > > (where ^t is control-t) and it works fine.
              > > >
              > > > But I'm trying to edit my vimrc file to put the map command in there,
              > > > and I can't do it because I can't type control-t and have it go into
              > > > the file. How can I do this? Thanks.
              > > >

              > > map <c-t> :echo "this works!"<cr>
              > >
              > > Regards,
              > > Chip Campbell
              > >

              > But note, CTRL-T is already defined, to jump back after jumping to a
              > tag. This is especially useful when navigating help files! When you
              > see a link, type CTRL-] to jump to it, and then CTRL-T to jump back.
              > If you do remap CTRL-T, be sure to remap the existing functionality to
              > something as well!
              >
              > Also, consider :noremap (or :nnoremap, :inoremap, etc.) instead of
              > :map, to avoid potential recursive mappings and other unexpected
              > behavior.

              Oh, and another note. Although using the <C-T> style as Chip suggest
              is the proper way to get a CTRL-T in this case, in the general case
              you can use CTRL-V CTRL-T in insert mode to get the literal ^t
              character. If you're on a Windows system, CTRL-V is probably remapped
              to CTRL-Q, so use that in its place.

            • mitch
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 4, 2008
                Thanks!

                I'm used to browsers and other editors where ^t opens a new tab, and I
                had never used ^t in vim before, so I'm going to go with the mapping

                map ^T :tabnew^M

              • Benjamin Fritz
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 4, 2008
                  On 3/4/08, mitch <mgart@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks!
                  >
                  > I'm used to browsers and other editors where ^t opens a new tab, and I
                  > had never used ^t in vim before, so I'm going to go with the mapping
                  >
                  > map ^T :tabnew^M

                  Consider instead:

                  noremap <C-T> :tabnew<CR>
                  noremap <BS> <C-T>

                  The first mapping will do exactly the same thing as yours, except it
                  won't work in insert or visual modes (use inoremap and vnoremap,
                  respectively, if you desire this behavior). It uses <C-T> and <CR>
                  rather than the literal characters, however, for better compatibility
                  with other terminals, systems, copy-paste, etc.

                  The second mapping will remap the backspace key to the built-in
                  functionality of CTRL-T. Note the use of noremap will use the unmapped
                  behavior of the right-hand-side of the mapping. I use backspace in
                  this mapping to emulate another common browser shortcut, which was
                  your inspiration for your CTRL-T mapping. Since this is a normal-mode
                  only mapping, you can continue using backspace normally in insert
                  mode, etc. to delete characters.

                • Charles E Campbell Jr
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 4, 2008
                    mitch wrote:
                    > Thanks!
                    >
                    > I'm used to browsers and other editors where ^t opens a new tab, and I
                    > had never used ^t in vim before, so I'm going to go with the mapping
                    >
                    > map ^T :tabnew^M

                    Well, as soon as you want to ask: how can I just jump to where this
                    variable (or function, etc) is defined (answer: see :help tags), you'll
                    find yourself using ctrl-]. Then you'll want to ask: how do I get
                    back? But you will have given yourself a nice bad habit...

                    Regards,
                    Chip Campbell

                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 4, 2008
                      Charles E Campbell Jr wrote:
                      > mitch wrote:
                      >> Thanks!
                      >>
                      >> I'm used to browsers and other editors where ^t opens a new tab, and I
                      >> had never used ^t in vim before, so I'm going to go with the mapping
                      >>
                      >> map ^T :tabnew^M
                      >>
                      > Well, as soon as you want to ask: how can I just jump to where this
                      > variable (or function, etc) is defined (answer: see :help tags), you'll
                      > find yourself using ctrl-]. Then you'll want to ask: how do I get
                      > back? But you will have given yourself a nice bad habit...
                      >
                      > Regards,
                      > Chip Campbell

                      You can get back using Ctrl-O, which is mentioned together with Ctrl-T
                      under ":help bars". It uses the jumplist, and has the advantage that it
                      has a converse command placed right next to it on an AZERTY or QWERTY
                      keyboard: Ctrl-I (go forward after going back).

                      Christian, n.:
                      One who believes that the New Testament is a divinely inspired
                      book admirably suited to the spiritual needs of his neighbor. One who
                      follows the teachings of Christ in so far as they are not inconsistent
                      with a life of sin.