Re: cscope database

  • Yegappan Lakshmanan
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2008
      Hi,

      On Sat, Mar 1, 2008 at 3:25 PM, epanda <callingelvis@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I want to search quickly in the database of cscope any string I need.
      > Out of function name, opening files etc.... Is Cscope offers this
      > possibility to store all words of a project ?

      You can use GNU id-utils to search for a keyword across thousands of
      files in a few seconds. Refer to the following pages for more information
      about GNU id-utils and a plugin for using it from Vim:

      http://www.gnu.org/software/idutils/idutils.html
      http://www.delorie.com/gnu/docs/id-utils/id-utils_toc.html

      You can also try using GNU global (http://www.gnu.org/software/global/)

      - Yegappan

    • Dennis Benzinger
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 2, 2008
        Am 02.03.2008 06:18, Yegappan Lakshmanan schrieb:
        > Hi,
        >
        > On Sat, Mar 1, 2008 at 3:25 PM, epanda <callingelvis@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> Hi,
        >>
        >> I want to search quickly in the database of cscope any string I need.
        >> Out of function name, opening files etc.... Is Cscope offers this
        >> possibility to store all words of a project ?
        >>

        > You can use GNU id-utils to search for a keyword across thousands of
        > files in a few seconds. Refer to the following pages for more information
        > about GNU id-utils and a plugin for using it from Vim:
        > [...]

        How does id-utils and its Vim plugin compare to exuberant-ctags and your
        taglist plugin?

        Dennis Benzinger

      • Yegappan Lakshmanan
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 2, 2008
          Hi,

          On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 5:04 AM, Dennis Benzinger
          <Dennis.Benzinger@...> wrote:

          > Am 02.03.2008 06:18, Yegappan Lakshmanan schrieb:
          >
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > On Sat, Mar 1, 2008 at 3:25 PM, epanda <callingelvis@...> wrote:
          > >>
          > >> Hi,
          > >>
          > >> I want to search quickly in the database of cscope any string I need.
          > >> Out of function name, opening files etc.... Is Cscope offers this
          > >> possibility to store all words of a project ?
          > >>

          > > You can use GNU id-utils to search for a keyword across thousands of
          > > files in a few seconds. Refer to the following pages for more information
          > > about GNU id-utils and a plugin for using it from Vim:
          > > [...]
          >
          > How does id-utils and its Vim plugin compare to exuberant-ctags and your
          > taglist plugin?

          To jump to the definition of a function or a structure or a macro or a file, you
          can use the tag file generated by exuberant ctags. The taglist plugin gives
          you an overview of the structure of the current source file and also allows
          you jump to the various tags defined in the current file or in one of the
          files displayed in the taglist window.

          But using the above two methods you cannot list all the places where a
          symbol is used in a set of source files. The GNU id-utils allows you to
          search in thousands of source file very quickly. It doesn't distinguish
          between the definition and usage of a symbol. It lists all of them.

          I use the above tools along with the grep plugin to browse through
          a large number of source files every day. I also use cscope occasionally.
          Most of the functionality provided by Cscope is supported by a
          combination of the above tools.

          - Yegappan

          PS:
          I use the following Vim plugins everyday: