cscope database

  • epanda
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2008

      I want to search quickly in the database of cscope any string I need.
      Out of function name, opening files etc.... Is Cscope offers this
      possibility to store all words of a project ?

      Thanks
    • Yegappan Lakshmanan
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2008

        On Sat, Mar 1, 2008 at 3:25 PM, epanda <callingelvis@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I want to search quickly in the database of cscope any string I need.
        > Out of function name, opening files etc.... Is Cscope offers this
        > possibility to store all words of a project ?

        You can use GNU id-utils to search for a keyword across thousands of
        files in a few seconds. Refer to the following pages for more information
        about GNU id-utils and a plugin for using it from Vim:

        http://www.gnu.org/software/idutils/idutils.html
        http://www.delorie.com/gnu/docs/id-utils/id-utils_toc.html

        You can also try using GNU global (http://www.gnu.org/software/global/)

        - Yegappan

      • Dennis Benzinger
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 2, 2008
          Am 02.03.2008 06:18, Yegappan Lakshmanan schrieb:
          > Hi,
          >
          > On Sat, Mar 1, 2008 at 3:25 PM, epanda <callingelvis@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> Hi,
          >>
          >> I want to search quickly in the database of cscope any string I need.
          >> Out of function name, opening files etc.... Is Cscope offers this
          >> possibility to store all words of a project ?
          >>

          > You can use GNU id-utils to search for a keyword across thousands of
          > files in a few seconds. Refer to the following pages for more information
          > about GNU id-utils and a plugin for using it from Vim:
          > [...]

          How does id-utils and its Vim plugin compare to exuberant-ctags and your
          taglist plugin?

          Dennis Benzinger

        • Yegappan Lakshmanan
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 2, 2008

            On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 5:04 AM, Dennis Benzinger
            <Dennis.Benzinger@...> wrote:

            > Am 02.03.2008 06:18, Yegappan Lakshmanan schrieb:
            >
            > > Hi,
            > >
            > > On Sat, Mar 1, 2008 at 3:25 PM, epanda <callingelvis@...> wrote:
            > >>
            > >> Hi,
            > >>
            > >> I want to search quickly in the database of cscope any string I need.
            > >> Out of function name, opening files etc.... Is Cscope offers this
            > >> possibility to store all words of a project ?
            > >>

            > > You can use GNU id-utils to search for a keyword across thousands of
            > > files in a few seconds. Refer to the following pages for more information
            > > about GNU id-utils and a plugin for using it from Vim:
            > > [...]
            >
            > How does id-utils and its Vim plugin compare to exuberant-ctags and your
            > taglist plugin?

            To jump to the definition of a function or a structure or a macro or a file, you
            can use the tag file generated by exuberant ctags. The taglist plugin gives
            you an overview of the structure of the current source file and also allows
            you jump to the various tags defined in the current file or in one of the
            files displayed in the taglist window.

            But using the above two methods you cannot list all the places where a
            symbol is used in a set of source files. The GNU id-utils allows you to
            search in thousands of source file very quickly. It doesn't distinguish
            between the definition and usage of a symbol. It lists all of them.

            I use the above tools along with the grep plugin to browse through
            a large number of source files every day. I also use cscope occasionally.
            Most of the functionality provided by Cscope is supported by a
            combination of the above tools.

            - Yegappan

            PS:
            I use the following Vim plugins everyday: