w32 gvim expand("[b...]") = "b" if current directory contains /b folder

  • haron
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2008
      Looks like expand() recognizes "[<letter>...]" construct as name
      of directory <letter>, if directory <letter> is contained in
      current directory. In ":help expand" isn't mentioned any special
      meaning for "[]" characters. They seems to have effect only if
      there both - left and right "[" "]" square brackets are present.
      Is this is a desired behavior ? If not, I will may be try to look
      to expand() implementation ?

      Example, demonstrating the "problem":

      $ cd c:\tst
      $ dir /s/b
      c:\tst\b
      c:\tst\c
      $ gvim -u NONE -U NONE
      :echo expand("[BufferExplorer]")
      :echo expand("[CufferExplorer]")
      :echo expand("BufferExplorer")
      BufferExplorer
      :echo expand("CufferExplorer")
      CufferExplorer
      :echo expand("[BufferExplorer")
      [BufferExplorer
      :cd ..
      :echo expand("[BufferExplorer]")
      [BufferExplorer]
      :echo expand("[CufferExplorer]")
      [CufferExplorer]

      Just one (beginners) assumption - can it have something to do
      with code for handling VMS paths ?

      PS: :version
      VIM - Vi IMproved 7.1 (2007 May 12, compiled Feb 21 2008 07:14:56)
      MS-Windows 32 bit GUI version with OLE support
      Included patches: 1-262
      Compiled by digitectNO@...
      Big version with GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
      [...]

      PPS: I start own topic for this, because it has nothing to do
      with "crash w32 gvim", for full history please refer to
      http://groups.google.com/group/vim_use/browse_thread/thread/89ac59e14f97e953#
      "crash w32 gvim 7.1 (2007 May 12) with BufExplore"

    • A.Politz
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2008
        haron wrote:

        >Looks like expand() recognizes "[<letter>...]" construct as name
        >of directory <letter>, if directory <letter> is contained in
        >current directory. In ":help expand" isn't mentioned any special
        >meaning for "[]" characters.

        It's called a wildcard and is mentioned somewhere
        at the top as 'file globbing' or something.

        :h wildcards

        -ap

        --
        :wq

      • haron
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 1, 2008
          On 1 мар, 17:00, "A.Politz" <poli...@...> wrote:
          > It's called a wildcard and is mentioned somewhere
          > at the top as 'file globbing' or something.

          I just wondering, how can I oversee something so obvious ! I even use
          this kind of patterns in bash very often. Thank you very much, my
          "issue" is solved.