RE: Blacklisting mail

  • John Beckett
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 29, 2008
      Matt Wozniski wrote:
      > I can see no reason to assume that Google Mail and Google
      > Groups would use different spam filtering...

      Sure, I assume there is one spam-detection filter that is applied to both
      mail and groups.

      However, I think there is a mechanism for a user to get a "Google Groups"
      account, and then post a single message that is sent to _all_ the members of
      multiple Google Groups. There certainly have been several cases here where
      the mail headers suggested that had occurred.

      My hope is that once Google Groups gets enough complaints, they terminate
      the sender's account, and maybe specially tweak their filters for the
      subject matter to handle the inevitable return of the spammer with a
      different account. That certainly seems to have occurred, because there are
      certain senders (a name like "Riaz" comes to mind) and certain topics that
      used to be regulars, but which we haven't seen for months.

      While major spammers use bots, there must be thousands of minor players who
      would love to send a single spam to a group. Therefore I assume Google
      Groups takes special steps to combat them.

      John