Re: vim crash recovery - how to deal with all those swps?

  • Jeffrey 'jf' Lim
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 29, 2008
      On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 1:25 PM, ThoML <micathom@...> wrote:

      > > They're not in
      > > any of the same directories (I'm opening a session) so I can't simply
      > > delete them.
      >
      > :h dir
      >
      > They are created in the first dir in this list vim can write to.

      just to clarify, though, this doesn't mean that this "first dir" is
      necessarily an "absolute" directory!!! for eg., u'll find that the
      defaults always start with ".", and for this, that just refers to a
      "floating" directory - _the same directory_ as each file u're editting
      is in...

      -jf

      --
      In the meantime, here is your PSA:
      "It's so hard to write a graphics driver that open-sourcing it would not help."

    • Keflavich
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 29, 2008
        Well, first the witty quip: I thought macs were stable. They are
        not. Even my Ubuntu laptop - which I crashed at least weekly - had
        better uptime than my macbook with 10.5.2 on it.

        So the find solution works, but it's pretty ugly / risky. There's
        nothing internal to VIM that can control its behavior with regard to
        swap files it finds? Aside - does the locate command update when .swp
        files are created, or will it typically miss them? Saves some search
        time if the former.

        I like the set dir= (not .) option, I might give that one a shot.

        Thanks for the help.
        Adam
      • Jeffrey 'jf' Lim
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 29, 2008
          On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 10:16 PM, Keflavich <keflavich@...> wrote:

          > Well, first the witty quip: I thought macs were stable. They are
          > not. Even my Ubuntu laptop - which I crashed at least weekly - had
          > better uptime than my macbook with 10.5.2 on it.

          :) pls. The mac more uptime than Linux (/Ubuntu)? :)

          > So the find solution works, but it's pretty ugly / risky. There's
          > nothing internal to VIM that can control its behavior with regard to
          > swap files it finds?

          > Aside - does the locate command update when .swp
          > files are created, or will it typically miss them? Saves some search
          > time if the former.

          'locate' only updates periodically (depending on your system - but
          typically weekly), and will definitely miss stuff (or even find stuff
          that is already gone!). If you want to be truly "live", use find.

          > I like the set dir= (not .) option, I might give that one a shot.

          yeah, that option does kind of appeal to me as well...

          -jf

          --
          In the meantime, here is your PSA:
          "It's so hard to write a graphics driver that open-sourcing it would not help."
          -- Andrew Fear, Software Product Manager, NVIDIA Corporation
          http://kerneltrap.org/node/7228

        • Benjamin Fritz
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 29, 2008
            On 2/29/08, Jeffrey 'jf' Lim <jfs.world@...> wrote:

            > On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 10:16 PM, Keflavich <keflavich@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Well, first the witty quip: I thought macs were stable. They are
            > > not. Even my Ubuntu laptop - which I crashed at least weekly - had
            > > better uptime than my macbook with 10.5.2 on it.
            > >

            > :) pls. The mac more uptime than Linux (/Ubuntu)? :)
            >

            > > So the find solution works, but it's pretty ugly / risky. There's
            > > nothing internal to VIM that can control its behavior with regard to
            > > swap files it finds?
            >
            > > Aside - does the locate command update when .swp
            > > files are created, or will it typically miss them? Saves some search
            > > time if the former.
            > >

            > 'locate' only updates periodically (depending on your system - but
            > typically weekly), and will definitely miss stuff (or even find stuff
            > that is already gone!). If you want to be truly "live", use find.
            >

            > > I like the set dir= (not .) option, I might give that one a shot.
            > >

            > yeah, that option does kind of appeal to me as well...
            >

            > -jf

            If you have trouble finding where Vim puts all of its temp files, you
            might be interested in this tip:

            http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Set_working_directory_to_the_current_file

            It's one solution, anyway!