crash w32 gvim 7.1 (2007 May 12) with BufExplore

  • haron
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 26, 2008
      I use BufExplore plugin intensively (http://www.vim.org/scripts/
      script.php?script_id=42), and have recently discover situation, when
      gvim crashes with it.

      1. start cmd
      2. c:
      3. mkdir tst
      4. cd tst
      5. mkdir b
      6. "c:\Program Files\Vim\vim71\gvim.exe" tmp-a.txt tmp-b.txt
      7 :BufExplorer<CR>
      Now vim crashes with "ACCESS VIOLATION..." message box.

      Can somebody check either it can be repro with latest vim windows
      binaries ?

      os: WinXP
      VIM:
      :version
      VIM - Vi IMproved 7.1 (2007 May 12, compiled May 12 2007 14:19:39)
      MS-Windows 32 bit GUI version with OLE support
      Compiled by Bram@KIBAALE
      Big version with GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
      +arabic +autocmd +balloon_eval +browse ++builtin_terms +byte_offset
      +cindent +clientserver +clipboard +cmdline_compl +cmdline_hist
      +cmdline_info +comments +cryptv +cscope
      +cursorshape +dialog_con_gui +diff +digraphs -dnd -ebcdic +emacs_tags
      +eval +ex_extra +extra_search +farsi +file_in_path +find_in_path
      +folding -footer +gettext/dyn
      -hangul_input +iconv/dyn +insert_expand +jumplist +keymap +langmap
      +libcall +linebreak +lispindent +listcmds +localmap +menu +mksession
      +modify_fname +mouse +mouseshape
      +multi_byte_ime/dyn +multi_lang -mzscheme +netbeans_intg +ole -
      osfiletype +path_extra +perl/dyn -postscript +printer -profile +python/
      dyn +quickfix +reltime +rightleft
      +ruby/dyn +scrollbind +signs +smartindent -sniff +statusline -
      sun_workshop +syntax +tag_binary +tag_old_static -tag_any_white +tcl/
      dyn -tgetent -termresponse +textobjects
      +title +toolbar +user_commands +vertsplit +virtualedit +visual
      +visualextra +viminfo +vreplace +wildignore +wildmenu +windows
      +writebackup -xfontset -xim -xterm_save +xpm_w32
      system vimrc file: "$VIM\vimrc"
      user vimrc file: "$HOME\_vimrc"
      2nd user vimrc file: "$VIM\_vimrc"
      user exrc file: "$HOME\_exrc"
      2nd user exrc file: "$VIM\_exrc"
      system gvimrc file: "$VIM\gvimrc"
      user gvimrc file: "$HOME\_gvimrc"
      2nd user gvimrc file: "$VIM\_gvimrc"
      system menu file: "$VIMRUNTIME\menu.vim"
      Compilation: cl -c /W3 /nologo -D_MT -MT -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_PATHDEF -
      DWIN32 -DFEAT_CSCOPE -DFEAT_NETBEANS_INTG -DFEAT_XPM_W32 -
      DWINVER=0x0400 -D_WIN32_WINNT=0x0400 /Fo.\
      ObjGOLYTR/ /Ox -DNDEBUG -DFEAT_OLE -DFEAT_MBYTE_IME -DDYNAMIC_IME -
      DFEAT_GUI_W32 -DDYNAMIC_ICONV -DDYNAMIC_GETTEXT -DFEAT_TCL -
      DDYNAMIC_TCL -DDYNAMIC_TCL_DLL=\"tcl83.dll\" -DDY
      NAMIC_TCL_VER=\"8.3\" -DFEAT_PYTHON -DDYNAMIC_PYTHON -
      DDYNAMIC_PYTHON_DLL=\"python24.dll\" -DFEAT_PERL -DDYNAMIC_PERL -
      DDYNAMIC_PERL_DLL=\"perl58.dll\" -DFEAT_RUBY -DDYNAMIC_RUB
      Y -DDYNAMIC_RUBY_VER=18 -DDYNAMIC_RUBY_DLL=\"msvcrt-ruby18.dll\" -
      DFEAT_BIG /Zi /Fd.\ObjGOLYTR/
      Linking: link /RELEASE /nologo /subsystem:windows /incremental:no /
      nodefaultlib:libc advapi32.lib shell32.lib gdi32.lib comdlg32.lib
      ole32.lib uuid.lib oldnames.lib kernel32.lib
      gdi32.lib version.lib winspool.lib comctl32.lib advapi32.lib
      shell32.lib /machine:i386 /nodefaultlib libcmt.lib oleaut32.lib
      user32.lib /nodefaultlib:python24.lib e:\
      tcl\lib\tclstub83.lib WSock32.lib e:\xpm\lib\libXpm.lib /PDB:gvim.pdb -
      debug

      :help bufexplorer

      Buffer Explorer *buffer-explorer*
      *bufexplorer*
      Version 7.1.7
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 26, 2008
        haron wrote:
        > I use BufExplore plugin intensively (http://www.vim.org/scripts/
        > script.php?script_id=42), and have recently discover situation, when
        > gvim crashes with it.
        >
        > 1. start cmd
        > 2. c:
        > 3. mkdir tst
        > 4. cd tst
        > 5. mkdir b
        > 6. "c:\Program Files\Vim\vim71\gvim.exe" tmp-a.txt tmp-b.txt
        > 7 :BufExplorer<CR>
        > Now vim crashes with "ACCESS VIOLATION..." message box.
        >
        > Can somebody check either it can be repro with latest vim windows
        > binaries ?
        >
        > os: WinXP
        > VIM:
        > :version
        > VIM - Vi IMproved 7.1 (2007 May 12, compiled May 12 2007 14:19:39)
        > MS-Windows 32 bit GUI version with OLE support
        > Compiled by Bram@KIBAALE
        > Big version with GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):

        You can install a much more recent version than this yourself (7.1.262 as of
        this writing), by downloading the installer from
        https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=43866&package_id=39721

        Although this page belongs to the "Cream (for Vim)" project, the installers on
        it are actually for "plain-vanilla" vim and gvim compiled, albeit
        "unofficially", from Bram's "official" sources and patches (click the
        clipboard-like icon next to the version number if you want to see the
        ":version" listing).

        "My particular problem is with registry entries, which seem to just accumulate
        like plastic coffee cups..." -- Paul Moore

      • haron
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 26, 2008
          On 26 Feb., 11:53, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechely...@...>
          wrote:
          > haron wrote:
          > > I use BufExplore plugin intensively (http://www.vim.org/scripts/
          > > script.php?script_id=42), and have recently discover situation, when
          > > gvim crashes with it.
          >
          > > 1. start cmd
          > > 2. c:
          > > 3. mkdir tst
          > > 4. cd tst
          > > 5. mkdir b
          > > 6. "c:\Program Files\Vim\vim71\gvim.exe" tmp-a.txt tmp-b.txt
          > > 7 :BufExplorer<CR>
          > > Now vim crashes with "ACCESS VIOLATION..." message box.
          >
          > > Can somebody check either it can be repro with latest vim windows
          > > binaries ?
          >
          > > os: WinXP
          > > VIM:
          > > :version
          > > VIM - Vi IMproved 7.1 (2007 May 12, compiled May 12 2007 14:19:39)
          > > MS-Windows 32 bit GUI version with OLE support
          > > Compiled by Bram@KIBAALE
          > > Big version with GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
          >
          > You can install a much more recent version than this yourself (7.1.262 as of
          > this writing), by downloading the installer fromhttps://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=43866&package_...
          >
          > Although this page belongs to the "Cream (for Vim)" project, the installers on
          > it are actually for "plain-vanilla" vim and gvim compiled, albeit
          > "unofficially", from Bram's "official" sources and patches (click the
          > clipboard-like icon next to the version number if you want to see the
          > ":version" listing).
          >
          > Best regards,
          > Tony.
          > --
          > "My particular problem is with registry entries, which seem to just accumulate
          > like plastic coffee cups..." -- Paul Moore

          Thanks, Tony !

          Now i have 7.1.262 installed, and its looks like crash is already
          fixed in this version. But i still get error after
          ------------- quote begin
          :BufExplore
          Error detected while processing function
          StartBufExplorer..<SNR>19_DisplayBufferList:
          line 9:W10: Warning: Changing a readonly file
          ------------- quote end

          Is it means:

          a)bufexplorer.vim:247 (9-th line of (function s:DisplayBufferList()))
          call setline(1, s:CreateHelp())

          or

          b)bufexplorer.vim:199 (9-th line of (function StartBufExplorer(open)))
          if s:running == 1

          ?

          PS: If i start vim from directory where no "b" directory present, no
          errors happens.
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 26, 2008
            haron wrote:

            > On 26 Feb., 11:53, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechely...@...>
            > wrote:
            >> haron wrote:
            >>> I use BufExplore plugin intensively (http://www.vim.org/scripts/
            >>> script.php?script_id=42), and have recently discover situation, when
            >>> gvim crashes with it.
            >>> 1. start cmd
            >>> 2. c:
            >>> 3. mkdir tst
            >>> 4. cd tst
            >>> 5. mkdir b
            >>> 6. "c:\Program Files\Vim\vim71\gvim.exe" tmp-a.txt tmp-b.txt
            >>> 7 :BufExplorer<CR>
            >>> Now vim crashes with "ACCESS VIOLATION..." message box.
            >>> Can somebody check either it can be repro with latest vim windows
            >>> binaries ?
            >>> os: WinXP
            >>> VIM:
            >>> :version
            >>> VIM - Vi IMproved 7.1 (2007 May 12, compiled May 12 2007 14:19:39)
            >>> MS-Windows 32 bit GUI version with OLE support
            >>> Compiled by Bram@KIBAALE
            >>> Big version with GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
            >> You can install a much more recent version than this yourself (7.1.262 as of
            >> this writing), by downloading the installer fromhttps://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=43866&package_...
            >>
            >> Although this page belongs to the "Cream (for Vim)" project, the installers on
            >> it are actually for "plain-vanilla" vim and gvim compiled, albeit
            >> "unofficially", from Bram's "official" sources and patches (click the
            >> clipboard-like icon next to the version number if you want to see the
            >> ":version" listing).
            >>
            >> Best regards,
            >> Tony.
            >> --
            >> "My particular problem is with registry entries, which seem to just accumulate
            >> like plastic coffee cups..." -- Paul Moore
            >
            > Thanks, Tony !
            >
            > Now i have 7.1.262 installed, and its looks like crash is already
            > fixed in this version. But i still get error after
            > ------------- quote begin
            > :BufExplore
            > Error detected while processing function
            > StartBufExplorer..<SNR>19_DisplayBufferList:
            > line 9:W10: Warning: Changing a readonly file
            > ------------- quote end
            >
            > Is it means:
            >
            > a)bufexplorer.vim:247 (9-th line of (function s:DisplayBufferList()))
            > call setline(1, s:CreateHelp())

            I think it is this: the 9th line of the innermost function mentioned. I think
            the "function" statement itself isn't counted; you ought to be able to check
            it by typing

            :func <SNR>19_DisplayBufferList

            which will display the function text with line numbers.

            > or
            >
            > b)bufexplorer.vim:199 (9-th line of (function StartBufExplorer(open)))
            > if s:running == 1
            >
            > ?
            >
            > PS: If i start vim from directory where no "b" directory present, no
            > errors happens.

            Hm. Looks strange, but I'm not familiar with the BufExplorer code: when I need
            to see the contents of a directory, I "edit" the directory, which invokes the
            standard netrw plugin.

            SAGITTARIUS (Nov 22 - Dec 21)
            You are optimistic and enthusiastic. You have a reckless
            tendency to rely on luck since you lack talent. The majority
            of Sagittarians are drunks or dope fiends or both. People
            laugh at you a great deal.

          • haron
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 26, 2008
              I have created a function (as smallest possible code snippet still
              reproducing my problem):

              ----------- quote begin
              function ReproCrash(open)

              let name = '[BufExplorer]'
              "let name = '[DufExplorer]'

              echo "name is:".name

              exec "silent keepjumps drop"." ".name

              setlocal modifiable

              " call setline(1, "crash-buf")

              endfunction
              ----------- quote end

              and placed it into vimfiles/plugin/bufexplorer-reprocrash.vim
              then, i use following sequence:

              1. start cmd
              2. c:
              3. cd \
              3. mkdir tst
              4. cd tst
              5. mkdir b
              6. "c:\Program Files\Vim\vim71\gvim.exe" tmp-a.txt tmp-b.txt
              7. :call ReproCrash("drop")

              case ** A **)

              with last line commented out (" call setline(1, "crash-buf")), i end
              up with buffer named "c:\tst\b" instead of "[BufExplorer]" and
              following content:
              ----------- quote begin
              "

              " Netrw Directory Listing
              (netrw v110)

              " C:/tst/b

              " Sorted by name

              " Sort sequence: [\/]$,\.h$,\.c$,\.cpp$,\.[a-np-z]$,*,\.info$,\.swp$,
              \.o$\.obj$,\.bak$

              " Quick Help: <F1>:help -:go up dir D:delete R:rename s:sort-by
              x:exec

              "

              ../

              ./

              .swp

              ----------- quote end

              case ** B **)

              with last line active ( call setline(1, "crash-buf")), i become an
              error message:
              ----------- quote begin
              name is:[BufExplorer]

              Error detected while processing function ReproCrash:

              line 11:W10: Warning: Changing a readonly file

              Press ENTER or type command to continue

              ----------- quote end

              and after pressing ENTER end up with buffer named again "c:\tst\b"
              instead of "[BufExplorer]" and following content:
              ----------- quote begin
              crash-buf

              " Netrw Directory Listing
              (netrw v110)

              " C:/tst/b

              " Sorted by name

              " Sort sequence: [\/]$,\.h$,\.c$,\.cpp$,\.[a-np-z]$,*,\.info$,\.swp$,
              \.o$\.obj$,\.bak$

              " Quick Help: <F1>:help -:go up dir D:delete R:rename s:sort-by
              x:exec

              "

              ../

              ./

              .swp

              ----------- quote end

              case ** C **)

              With last line active (call setline(1, "crash-buf")) and name =
              '[_D_ufExplorer]' (let name = '[DufExplorer]') i end up normally with
              modified buffer named "[DufExplorer]" and following content:
              ----------- quote begin
              crash-buf

              ----------- quote end

              PS: Interesting, that cases ** A **), ** B **) works normally = gives
              the same result as ** C **), if i insert between steps 5. mkdir b; and
              6. "c:\pro...gvim.exe" tmp-a.txt tmp-b.txt; for example changing to
              another directory then c:\tst, like: 5.1. cd b
            • Bram Moolenaar
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 27, 2008
                Anton Sharonov wrote:

                > I have created a function (as smallest possible code snippet still
                > reproducing my problem):

                I understand this happens with the original Vim 7.1, executable from the
                Vim website? Does this still happen with a recent Vim?

                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 27, 2008
                  All these cases

                  ** A **)
                  ** B **)
                  ** C **)

                  are happening with 7.1.262 executable; installer comes from Cream
                  project as suggested by Toni. I would like to point out once more,
                  that gvim.exe itself _isn't_crashed_ any more after update to 7.1.262,
                  but strange "corruption" of buffer content (and properties ?
                  modifiable, readonly?) is happened.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 27, 2008
                    haron wrote:
> [...]
                    > x:exec
                    >
                    > "
                    >
                    > ../
                    >
                    > ./
                    >
                    > .swp
                    >
                    > ----------- quote end
                    >
                    > case ** C **)
                    >
                    > With last line active (call setline(1, "crash-buf")) and name =
                    > '[_D_ufExplorer]' (let name = '[DufExplorer]') i end up normally with
                    > modified buffer named "[DufExplorer]" and following content:
                    > ----------- quote begin
                    > crash-buf
                    >
                    > ----------- quote end
                    >
                    > PS: Interesting, that cases ** A **), ** B **) works normally = gives
                    > the same result as ** C **), if i insert between steps 5. mkdir b; and
                    > 6. "c:\pro...gvim.exe" tmp-a.txt tmp-b.txt; for example changing to
                    > another directory then c:\tst, like: 5.1. cd b

                    I suspect an incompatibility beween BufExplorer and netrw.

                    - What is the output of the :scriptnames command? Copy it to the clipboard as
                    follows:

                    :redir @+
                    :scriptnames
                    :redir END

                    then you can paste it into your mailer.

                    - You may want to check the source of the BufExplorer plugin and of the
                    various netrw scripts, namely

                    $VIMRUNTIME/plugin/netrwPlugin.vim
                    $VIMRUNTIME/autoload/netrw.vim
                    $VIMRUNTIME/autoload/netrwSettings.vim
                    $VIMRUNTIME/autoload/netrwFileHandlers.vim

                    for user-commands or functions of "colliding" names, or competing autocommands
                    for a common event. (Vim will execute autocommands for a common event in the
                    order they were defined.)

                    I see the eigenvalue in thine eye,
                    I hear the tender tensor in thy sigh.
                    Bernoulli would have been content to die
                    Had he but known such _a_-squared cos 2(phi)!
                    -- Stanislaw Lem, "Cyberiad"

                  • haron
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 28, 2008
                      On 28 Feb., 00:17, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechely...@...>
                      wrote:
                      > :redir @+
                      > :scriptnames
                      > :redir END

                      1: c:\Program Files\Vim\_vimrc
                      2: c:\Program Files\Vim\vim71\syntax\syntax.vim
                      3: c:\Program Files\Vim\vim71\syntax\synload.vim
                      4: c:\Program Files\Vim\vim71\syntax\syncolor.vim
                      5: c:\Program Files\Vim\vim71\filetype.vim
                      6: c:\Program Files\Vim\vim71\menu.vim
                      7: c:\Program Files\Vim\vim71\lang\menu_de.utf-8.vim
                      8: c:\Program Files\Vim\vim71\lang\menu_de_de.latin1.vim
                      9: c:\Program Files\Vim\vim71\autoload\paste.vim
                      10: c:\Program Files\Vim\vimfiles\colors\ps_color.vim
                      11: c:\Program Files\Vim\vim71\ftplugin.vim
                      12: c:\Program Files\Vim\vim71\indent.vim
                      13: c:\Program Files\Vim\vimfiles\compiler\msvc_ppqm.vim
                      14: c:\Program Files\Vim\vimfiles\keymap\russian-jcukenwin-de.vim
                      15: c:\Program Files\Vim\vimfiles\plugin\a.vim
                      16: c:\Program Files\Vim\vimfiles\plugin\AlignMaps.vim
                      17: c:\Program Files\Vim\vimfiles\plugin\AlignPlugin.vim
                      18: c:\Program Files\Vim\vimfiles\plugin\bufexplorer-reprocrash.vim
                      19: c:\Program Files\Vim\vimfiles\plugin\bufexplorer.vim
                      20: c:\Program Files\Vim\vimfiles\plugin\calendar.vim
                      21: c:\Program Files\Vim\vimfiles\plugin\cecutil.vim
                      22: c:\Program Files\Vim\vimfiles\plugin\ColorschemeDegrade.vim
                      23: c:\Program Files\Vim\vimfiles\plugin\fonts.vim
                      24: c:\Program Files\Vim\vimfiles\plugin\gtags.vim
                      25: c:\Program Files\Vim\vimfiles\plugin\haron_view_logs.vim
                      26: c:\Program Files\Vim\vimfiles\plugin\make-element.vim
                      27: c:\Program Files\Vim\vimfiles\plugin\matchit.vim
                      28: c:\Program Files\Vim\vimfiles\plugin\netrwPlugin.vim
                      29: c:\Program Files\Vim\vimfiles\plugin\opsplorer.vim
                      30: c:\Program Files\Vim\vimfiles\plugin\showmarks.vim
                      31: c:\Program Files\Vim\vimfiles\plugin\taglist.vim
                      32: c:\Program Files\Vim\vimfiles\plugin\themes.vim
                      33: c:\Program Files\Vim\vimfiles\plugin\vcscommand.vim
                      34: c:\Program Files\Vim\vimfiles\plugin\vcscvs.vim
                      35: c:\Program Files\Vim\vimfiles\plugin\vcsgit.vim
                      36: c:\Program Files\Vim\vimfiles\plugin\vcssvk.vim
                      37: c:\Program Files\Vim\vimfiles\plugin\vcssvn.vim
                      38: c:\Program Files\Vim\vimfiles\plugin\vimballPlugin.vim
                      39: c:\Program Files\Vim\vimfiles\plugin\visincr.vim
                      40: c:\Program Files\Vim\vimfiles\autoload\visincr.vim
                      41: c:\Program Files\Vim\vimfiles\plugin\visincrPlugin.vim
                      42: c:\Program Files\Vim\vim71\plugin\getscriptPlugin.vim
                      43: c:\Program Files\Vim\vim71\plugin\gzip.vim
                      44: c:\Program Files\Vim\vim71\plugin\matchparen.vim
                      45: c:\Program Files\Vim\vim71\plugin\netrw.vim
                      46: c:\Program Files\Vim\vimfiles\autoload\netrw.vim
                      47: c:\Program Files\Vim\vim71\plugin\netrwPlugin.vim
                      48: c:\Program Files\Vim\vim71\plugin\rrhelper.vim
                      49: c:\Program Files\Vim\vim71\plugin\spellfile.vim
                      50: c:\Program Files\Vim\vim71\plugin\tarPlugin.vim
                      51: c:\Program Files\Vim\vim71\plugin\tohtml.vim
                      52: c:\Program Files\Vim\vim71\plugin\vimballPlugin.vim
                      53: c:\Program Files\Vim\vim71\plugin\zipPlugin.vim
                      54: c:\Program Files\Vim\vim71\scripts.vim
                      55: c:\Program Files\Vim\vimfiles\syntax\netrw.vim
                      56: c:\Program Files\Vim\vim71\syntax\netrw.vim

                      > - You may want to check the source of the BufExplorer plugin and of the
                      > various netrw scripts, namely

                      Thank you very much for your help, i will try to investigate it in
                      more details later. Reports will follow.
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 28, 2008
                        haron wrote:
> [...]
                        > 44: c:\Program Files\Vim\vim71\plugin\matchparen.vim
                        > 45: c:\Program Files\Vim\vim71\plugin\netrw.vim
                        > 46: c:\Program Files\Vim\vimfiles\autoload\netrw.vim
                        > 47: c:\Program Files\Vim\vim71\plugin\netrwPlugin.vim
                        > 48: c:\Program Files\Vim\vim71\plugin\rrhelper.vim
                        > 49: c:\Program Files\Vim\vim71\plugin\spellfile.vim
                        > 50: c:\Program Files\Vim\vim71\plugin\tarPlugin.vim
                        > 51: c:\Program Files\Vim\vim71\plugin\tohtml.vim
                        > 52: c:\Program Files\Vim\vim71\plugin\vimballPlugin.vim
                        > 53: c:\Program Files\Vim\vim71\plugin\zipPlugin.vim
                        > 54: c:\Program Files\Vim\vim71\scripts.vim
                        > 55: c:\Program Files\Vim\vimfiles\syntax\netrw.vim
                        > 56: c:\Program Files\Vim\vim71\syntax\netrw.vim
                        >
                        >> - You may want to check the source of the BufExplorer plugin and of the
                        >> various netrw scripts, namely
                        >
                        > Thank you very much for your help, i will try to investigate it in
                        > more details later. Reports will follow.

                        I notice that you have a netrwPlugin.vim in $VIM/vimfiles/plugin. You may want
                        to remove it unless it is more recent than $VIMRUNTIME/plugin/netrwPlugin.vim,
                        which is regularly updated (the current edition is dated Aug 09, 2007 -- if
                        yours is older it is outdated). The same applies (possibly with different
                        dates) to $VIM/vimfiles/syntax/netrw.vim and, if you have them,
                        $VIM/vimfiles/autoload/netrw*.vim and $VIM/vimfiles/doc/pi_netrw.txt (and if
                        you remove the latter, don't help to do ":helptags $VIM/vimfiles/doc", without
                        the quotes of course.) (To remove them, you may want to use the ":RmVimball"
                        command, q.v.)

                        In any case, you should be aware (if you aren't yet) of the necessity of
                        keeping your runtime files up-to-date (which may have to be done separately
                        from the source, since most runtime file changes are not included in the
                        official patches). This runtime files upkeep can be done by several methods: I
                        know about ftp, rsync, cvs, aap, svn. I use rsync but I'm on Linux and I'm not
                        sure which method you'd prefer, taking into account the software installed on
                        your Windows machine.

                        A baby is an alimentary canal with a loud voice at one end and no
                        responsibility at the other.

                      • haron
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 29, 2008
                          haron@notti /cygdrive/c/Program Files/Vim> find . -iname '*netrw*' |
                          grep -v '\.svn' | grep -v '/doc/' | xargs grep 'v[0-9][0-9][0-9]'
                          ./vim71/autoload/netrw.vim:let g:loaded_netrw = "v121"
                          ./vim71/plugin/netrw.vim:let g:loaded_netrw = "v110"
                          ./vim71/plugin/netrwPlugin.vim:let g:loaded_netrwPlugin = "v121"
                          ./vimfiles/autoload/netrw.vim:let g:loaded_netrw = "v121"
                          ./vimfiles/plugin/netrwPlugin.vim:let g:loaded_netrwPlugin = "v121"

                          something strange happens - i have v110 (old?) netrw.vim in
                          $VIMRUNTIME/plugin. Ok, i remove it:

                          rm plugin/netrw.vim

                          , since anyway its looks like that "autoload/" dir is proper place for
                          netrw.vim. After that, i remove self-installed netrw from $VIM/
                          vimfiles/

                          svn rm vimfiles/autoload/netrw.vim
                          svn rm vimfiles/autoload/netrwFileHandlers.vim
                          svn rm vimfiles/autoload/netrwSettings.vim
                          svn rm vimfiles/doc/pi_netrw.txt
                          svn rm vimfiles/plugin/netrwPlugin.vim
                          svn rm vimfiles/syntax/netrw.vim
                          svn commit -m "removed netrw since distributed with vim now"

                          Finally, i remove bufexplore.vim as well.

                          rm vimfiles/plugin/bufexplorer.vim

                          Error message still persist after that. Of course, it's shows now
                          '(netrw v121)', so it is at least some progress :) .

                          Tony Mechelynck wrote:
                          > - You may want to check the source of the BufExplorer plugin and of the
                          > various netrw scripts, namely
                          > $VIMRUNTIME/plugin/netrwPlugin.vim
                          > $VIMRUNTIME/autoload/netrw.vim
                          > $VIMRUNTIME/autoload/netrwSettings.vim
                          > $VIMRUNTIME/autoload/netrwFileHandlers.vim

                          :vimgrep /autoc/ $VIMRUNTIME/**/*netrw*.vim

                          , but I don't see anything suspected from this first shot.

                          Than, i have tried to get list of all autocommands to examine it. But
                          redir @+
                          / redir END seems not to work with :au output, isn't it ?

                          To be continued...

                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 29, 2008
                            haron wrote:
                            [...]
                            > redir @+
                            > / redir END seems not to work with :au output, isn't it ?
                            [...]

                            It ought to work with any Vim command which displays info on the command-line
                            (the way ":echo" does it). Listing autocommands ought to work. But after
                            ":redir END", you have to capture the clipboard contents before anything else
                            overwrites it.

                            You can also redirect to almost any other register, or to a file (creating,
                            overwriting or appending). See ":help :redir".

                            There are three ways to get something done: do it yourself, hire
                            someone, or forbid your kids to do it.

                          • haron
                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 29, 2008
                              On 28 фев, 00:17, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechely...@...>
                              wrote:
                              > - You may want to check the source of the BufExplorer plugin and of the
                              > various netrw scripts, namely
                              >
                              > $VIMRUNTIME/plugin/netrwPlugin.vim
                              > $VIMRUNTIME/autoload/netrw.vim
                              > $VIMRUNTIME/autoload/netrwSettings.vim
                              > $VIMRUNTIME/autoload/netrwFileHandlers.vim
                              >
                              > for user-commands or functions of "colliding" names, or competing autocommands
                              > for a common event. (Vim will execute autocommands for a common event in the
                              > order they were defined.)

                              I think I got it:

                              $ cd c:\tst
                              $ dir /s/b
                              c:\tst\b
                              c:\tst\c
                              $ gvim
                              :echo expand("[BufferExplorer]")
                              :echo expand("[CufferExplorer]")
                              :cd ..
                              :echo expand("[BufferExplorer]")
                              [BufferExplorer]
                              :echo expand("[CufferExplorer]")
                              [CufferExplorer]

                              is this normal ?

                            • haron
                              Message 14 of 14 , Mar 1, 2008
                                Thread is closed (subject isn't match any more).
                                I have started new thread:

                                http://groups.google.com/group/vim_use/browse_thread/thread/552ba1361e885013
                                "w32 gvim expand("[b...]") = "b" if current directory contains /b
                                folder"

                                to continue discussion with proper subject.