Re: Netrw problems with latest patch & runtime

  • Charles E. Campbell, Jr.
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 19, 2008
      Tony Mechelynck wrote:

      >dv1445@... wrote:
      >[...]
      >

      >>Thanks, Tony, that worked. At one point I *did* have the docs for netrw in ~/.vim/doc. I saw that file called `tags' but had no clue it could be relevant. Since your reply is the first I've ever heard of helptags, I know I didn't *intentionally* do anything with this that would've generated that file in ~/.vim. But I've been known to clobber my keys, forget which mode I'm in, and so on.
      >>

      >Well, then, I guess that whatever installed these docs there, also generated
      >or updated the tagfile.
      >

      >>Thanks again,
      >>-GMN

      Sorry -- I've been out-of-touch for several days. Happens sometimes!
      Anyway, if you got v121 via a vimball from vim.sf.net, then it includes
      doc/pi_netrw.txt . That's the helpfile for v121; the
      /usr/local/share/... one is then out-of-date. The UseVimball command
      embedded in the vimball extracts the help to the first directory on
      your runtimepath; that's ~/.vim/doc/pi_netrw.txt, typically. Vimball
      also runs helptags (which generates ~/.vim/doc/tags) automatically. So
      the text and plugin should end up in ~/.vim/plugin, ~/.vim/autoload, and
      (help) in ~/.vim/doc , and v121 help for netrw should be available as
      soon as you source the vimball.

      :NetrwClean will remove all the netrw files from your local plugins
      :NetrwClean! will also attempt to remove netrw files from
      /usr/local/share/vim/... .

      The .VimballRecord file is what enables vimball's :RmVimball command.
      Since you deleted it, vimball can no longer remove anything previously
      installed with vimball.

      Regards,
      Chip Campbell