Re: Automatically reload file on change

  • Matt Wozniski
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 2, 2008
      On Feb 2, 2008 4:31 PM, Andreas Müller wrote:
      > Hello
      >
      > > I have the following problem: Working on C++ code, I use test cases
      > > for my software. So every time I compile, the test log changes. In
      > > vim, I have that open, and would like to have it reloaded
      > > automatically, when I switch to the buffer with the test log, without
      > > VIM asking me.
      >
      > :set autoread
      >
      > should do the trick.
      >
      > Regards, Andreas

      I, personally, would hate to have that setting on - I like that if a
      file accidentally gets modified outside of vim, I can always just
      write out the buffer the way I meant to have it - or selectively merge
      in changes on my own. But, in this particular case (a constantly
      changing test log), I can see the appeal. So, I would suggest doing
      it only specific file names, something in .vimrc like:

      augroup vimrcAu
      au!
      au BufEnter,BufNew Test.log setlocal autoread
      augroup END

      Just my $0.02

      ~Matt

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 3, 2008
        Eric Tetz wrote:
        > On Feb 2, 2008 7:50 PM, Matt Wozniski <mjw@...> wrote:
        >> I would suggest doing it only specific file names,
        >> something in .vimrc like [snip]
        >
        > Better yet, just do it in the specific buffer. Just takes a second to
        > type ":set ar". I use this all the time, mostly for piping script
        > output into a Vim window.
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Eric

        If you want to apply it only to the specific buffer, then use

        :setlocal autoread

        or in short

        :setl ar

        (":set" sets it globally).

        You can also set it for all edits of one particular file by means of a
        |modeline| e.g.

        vim: autoread

        near the top or bottom of the file.

        In war we're tough and able.