Re: Compiling LaTeX within vim - Two Questions

  • BartlebyScrivener
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 2, 2008
      On Feb 2, 3:49 pm, Andreas Müller <andrm...@...> wrote:

      > Btw, Vim has some support for compiling tex documents, I think something
      > like
      >
      > let b:tex_flavor = 'pdflatex'
      > compiler tex

      Thanks for the tips and mappings.

      I'm still pretty new to LaTeX. What is the advantage of pdflatex over
      dvipdf?

      Thanks

      RD

    • Andreas Müller
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 3, 2008
        BartlebyScrivener schrieb:
        > On Feb 2, 3:49 pm, Andreas Müller <andrm...@...> wrote:
        >
        > [...]
        >
        > I'm still pretty new to LaTeX. What is the advantage of pdflatex over
        > dvipdf?

        Unless you need the dvi file, I just don't see the motivation for doing
        the extra step. Also I think some things that work with pdflatex don't
        work with dvipdf, e.g.

        - embedding meta information into pdf files with hyperref
        - embedding other pdf files
        - links inside the document (may work, not sure ..)

        On the other hand, some things that work with dvi may require extra
        treatment with pdflatex. YMMV ...

        Regards, Andreas