Re: Automatically reload file on change

  • Andreas Müller
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 2, 2008
      Hello

      > I have the following problem: Working on C++ code, I use test cases
      > for my software. So every time I compile, the test log changes. In
      > vim, I have that open, and would like to have it reloaded
      > automatically, when I switch to the buffer with the test log, without
      > VIM asking me.

      :set autoread

      should do the trick.

      Regards, Andreas
    • Matt Wozniski
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 2, 2008
        On Feb 2, 2008 4:31 PM, Andreas Müller wrote:
        > Hello
        >
        > > I have the following problem: Working on C++ code, I use test cases
        > > for my software. So every time I compile, the test log changes. In
        > > vim, I have that open, and would like to have it reloaded
        > > automatically, when I switch to the buffer with the test log, without
        > > VIM asking me.
        >
        > :set autoread
        >
        > should do the trick.
        >
        > Regards, Andreas

        I, personally, would hate to have that setting on - I like that if a
        file accidentally gets modified outside of vim, I can always just
        write out the buffer the way I meant to have it - or selectively merge
        in changes on my own. But, in this particular case (a constantly
        changing test log), I can see the appeal. So, I would suggest doing
        it only specific file names, something in .vimrc like:

        augroup vimrcAu
        au!
        au BufEnter,BufNew Test.log setlocal autoread
        augroup END

        Just my $0.02

        ~Matt

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 3, 2008
          Eric Tetz wrote:
          > On Feb 2, 2008 7:50 PM, Matt Wozniski <mjw@...> wrote:
          >> I would suggest doing it only specific file names,
          >> something in .vimrc like [snip]
          >
          > Better yet, just do it in the specific buffer. Just takes a second to
          > type ":set ar". I use this all the time, mostly for piping script
          > output into a Vim window.
          >
          > Cheers,
          > Eric

          If you want to apply it only to the specific buffer, then use

          :setlocal autoread

          or in short

          :setl ar

          (":set" sets it globally).

          You can also set it for all edits of one particular file by means of a
          |modeline| e.g.

          vim: autoread

          near the top or bottom of the file.

          In war we're tough and able.